• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sorry, but this is a bit of BS.

It's simple math: "number of cards received on average per week / number of overall orders = lead time" I work in electronics manufacturing, we know EXACTLY what we can get out of the door each day/week/month and can accurately predict exactly when customers can receive goods based on the number of orders. It takes a set time to make ANY electronics item, this give you a daily output figure, Nvidia will know how many chips they can spit out. They've simply massively underestimated demand, and over-hyped the cards so there was a near bloodlust on launch, leaving us, the consumer, out of pocket.

I'm a patient guy, don;t get me wrong, but by now OcUk should be providing us with lead times. Burying their heads in teh sand is what is aggravating people.

Where do you work out of interest Dave if you dont mind me asking?
(Im also in the electronics manufacturing field).

Associate
Where do you work out of interest Dave if you dont mind me asking?
(Im also in the electronics manufacturing field).

I work for a maker of high end automatic fire alarm detection and extinguishing systems, exporting into over 80 countries around the world and protectng some of the most iconic buildings around the globe, a google-fu will reveal all ;) Our systems look after life safety in places like The Shard, Lincoln Castle (protecting the Magna Carta!!) and countles others, I've worked for various electronics firms over the years so manufacturing is in my bones. I find it laughable that a company with the $$$$ behind them like Nvidia can screw up a launch this badly!

Edit: I see you;re in Hampshire, you don't work for a Greek Deity by any chance?

Associate

It's simple math: "number of cards received on average per week / number of overall orders = lead time" I work in electronics manufacturing, we know EXACTLY what we can get out of the door each day/week/month and can accurately predict exactly when customers can receive goods based on the number of orders. It takes a set time to make ANY electronics item, this give you a daily output figure, Nvidia will know how many chips they can spit out. They've simply massively underestimated demand, and over-hyped the cards so there was a near bloodlust on launch, leaving us, the consumer, out of pocket.

I think the problem is that they don't have accurate lead times from the manufacturers. OCUK aren't a just in time component integrator, they're a retail store that has to wait for those shipments to land on their doorstop or have confirmed dates from their suppliers.

But yeah NVidia should have an accurate idea of how many chips their shifting out the doors... but it's then up to the integrators like MSI etc.. to stick it on a PCB and ship.

Associate

I'm a patient guy, don;t get me wrong, but by now OcUk should be providing us with lead times. Burying their heads in teh sand is what is aggravating people.

I’m not sure if OCUK is to blame here, but someone down the line, from manufacturing to distribution, has numbers that they aren’t willing to share. I have a strong feeling that NVIDIA / AIBs have forbidden them to share exact numbers, and they must play by the rules in order to stay a partner.

Associate
Strix OC club, 1517 order on D day. I am here to celebrate my resistance to buying a 3090 today. I went all the way to check out and saw my impatience about to cost me 1700 quid. I will now quietly lurk for the rest of time.

Permabanned

CCC

CCC

Associate
It's great n all that they are doing this but then who's left to sort out all the 3080 issues

There's very little they or any of us can do but wait. They are trying to put together a queue position app which will be really nice. Scan refused to tell me my position in the queue and don't have any plans to provide that info afaik.

CCC

CCC

Associate
Strix OC club, 1517 order on D day. I am here to celebrate my resistance to buying a 3090 today. I went all the way to check out and saw my impatience about to cost me 1700 quid. I will now quietly lurk for the rest of time.

Damn you! Cancel that Strix OC :)

You know you NEED 8% more performance!

Associate

But if the AIBs aren't telling OcUK when their shipment is due and what volume to expect then they can't pass that on to us.

I get it, the whole thing is a **** show and it relies on trust that those in the queue don't get screwed over by merchant payment authorisation delays, someone from the system build team nabbing a load for system orders or members of staff taking jumping the queue etc etc. I don't think its fair to blame OcUK for all of it though you try getting answers from them and how fast are they being supplied by Samsung & Nvidia. They released the GPUs too early, they weren't ready and have knobbed it up back time.

Soldato
I work for a maker of high end automatic fire alarm detection and extinguishing systems, exporting into over 80 countries around the world and protectng some of the most iconic buildings around the globe, a google-fu will reveal all ;) Our systems look after life safety in places like The Shard, Lincoln Castle (protecting the Magna Carta!!) and countles others, I've worked for various electronics firms over the years so manufacturing is in my bones. I find it laughable that a company with the $$$$ behind them like Nvidia can screw up a launch this badly!

Edit: I see you;re in Hampshire, you don't work for a Greek Deity by any chance?

Ah you're one of those guys :) We should be supplying certain ceramic capacitors to you :)

Maybe we can relate to this topic quite well :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom