Oculus Quest 2 v HP Reverb G2?

Soldato
Someone also posted an image of the Valve Index through the lens and SDE is much more prominent than on the Quest 2 or G2.

However for most practical purposes SDE on the Index isn't really an issue, so the Quest 2 and G2 must look fantastically clear.

Soldato
This is also operating on the old link right? Not yet updated for the quest 2.

oh just to add I think people might be thinking the resolution on link is limited to quest levels, which isn’t true - in reality you can set link up to 2784×3056 per eye with the “prioritise quality” option, which is already well in excess of the Quest 2 resolution.

The gains really in the updated link will be from the (potentially) lower compression and higher frame rate.

Soldato
oh just to add I think people might be thinking the resolution on link is limited to quest levels, which isn’t true - in reality you can set link up to 2784×3056 per eye with the “prioritise quality” option, which is already well in excess of the Quest 2 resolution.

The gains really in the updated link will be from the (potentially) lower compression and higher frame rate.

Compression will lead to artefacts and a blockier view though right? It's still limited to just 150Mbps because that's all the quest could process.

Soldato
More or less. From my experience it gives a slightly softer overall looking image despite the resolution, and blocking especially in similar colour areas, crushing of lows and highs. Lower compression should help improve all these areas.

I’ve just seen a few comments floating around about the resolution of link being stuck at Quest 1 levels which isn’t true, so thought it worth clarifying.

https://uploadvr.com/set-oculus-link-resolution/

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Compression will lead to artefacts and a blockier view though right? It's still limited to just 150Mbps because that's all the quest could process.

Do you think it's changed since your comment on the 18th Sept?
1.77 Gbps is probably what they've acheived, whereas 10Gbps will be more likely theoretical.

USB3 on the link cable is apparently 1.something Gbps, but limited to 500Mbps at the moment I think. Again, I presume the 5Gbps is theoretical limits.

Soldato
Nice. So he's using the beta updated link, but it's not planned for release for 2 months, so more data being sent over the cable. Still seeing the lines on quest 2 when he zooms in, but in the text, it's horizontal, not vertical (you can see the vertical lines in the smoke during the video with the race).

Unsurprisingly, it looks like the g2 is going to be the better wired pcvr experience. Worth the price difference though? Guess that depends on the user (not even taking into account the wireless side of the quest 2).

Soldato
Im not sure what exactly he's been given - an updated link yes, but not at 90 Hz - so exactly what data rate is it giving him and how does each headset cope with it?

I think the images/videos still show the limitations of Link unfortunately. But certainly the static images show a significant improvement in sharpness.

I don't much like his choice of games - he seems to focus on the reading of text which I acknowledge is important but I want to see more middle distance/far distance comparisons.

Soldato
Interesting that there's mura on the Quest 2 black level test, but none on the Quest 1. My Quest has pronounced mura in dark scenes.

Amazing how the Quest 2 can be both sharper and softer at the same time. I hope they manage to address that image softness - Virtual Desktop's image is actually sharper on Quest 1.

Soldato
Im not sure what exactly he's been given - an updated link yes, but not at 90 Hz - so exactly what data rate is it giving him and how does each headset cope with it?

I think the images/videos still show the limitations of Link unfortunately. But certainly the static images show a significant improvement in sharpness.

I don't much like his choice of games - he seems to focus on the reading of text which I acknowledge is important but I want to see more middle distance/far distance comparisons.

I don't like the sound of the latency he mentions either

Soldato
Quest 2 general impressions @ 43:00

Some G2 thoughts and comparisons start @ 58:00

Would be worth watching from 43:00 if you're interested in both headsets.

Long story short, buy both lol... if you can only afford one, Tyriel says he would probably buy the Quest 2 just because of the value for money.

He says G2 a better PCVR headset, he calls it "the most comfortable headset I've ever tried" and rates the screens, clarity and audio highly. Refers to the lenses as the best lenses he's seen too, (and worth noting those were the 2nd iteration before the recently improved 3rd iteration).

He notes that the Quest 2 with elite strap is significantly more comfortable that the Quest 1. It feels like much more than just 10% lighter due to the headset being substantially shorter and pulling that weight back into a better distribution.

One of the few real negatives he brings up about the Quest 2 (other than how much he hates the standard strap) is that he is unhappy with Oculus' decision to go with 3 position IPD vs a dial as it doesn't fit his IPD properly. He does however note that after a while he starts to get used to it, and after 3 weeks it bothers him less than before. On the subject of IPD apparently the edges of the screen can become slightly visible with wider IPDs but he doesn't seem to feel it's a big deal.

So no big surprises for me... each has their own appeal and go well together. I think if you don't care too much about the price difference and only want to do PCVR the G2 is looking like an absolute monster and still untouchable. If you fancy doing more than just PCVR and/or are more price sensitive, it looks like the Quest 2 is a damn good experience for the money but you definitely need to include the elite strap in your budget and should plan on adding some sort of 3rd party audio solution.

Last edited:
Soldato
sticking with the G2 personally, now gone off the Q2 completely and will either save up for a 2nd G2 or see what else happens in the meantime, already have basestations so could just get an index

Back
Top Bottom