Microsoft ditch optical out on the Series X. Good Idea?

Associate
What to do? Microsoft have removed the option to use an optical out port on the Series X which might not be a problem for some, but it certainly is for me.

I use a Logitech Z5500 for sound in my study / gaming room. It’s getting on a bit but it still works fine with my One X. I love it actually.

HDMI goes to the monitor (32” 4k ) and optical out goes to the Z5500 control unit. All good. But not with the Series X it seems. They’ve ditched it.

So what options do we have ? Use a HDMI/ audio splitter? Well if you can find one that works and lasts longer than 3 months , good luck with that. I don’t need that hassle.

And what about if you wanted to move on up to a new HDMI 2.1 4k monitor like the soon to be released Viewsonic Elite XG32OU say frinstance ?

https://www.viewsoniceurope.com:8080/uk/pr/content/ViewSonic-ELITE-32-inch-4K_242.html

As far as I can tell there isn’t such a thing currently available as a 2.1 HDMI audio splitter. They struggle with 4k 60hz by all accounts. Never mind 120 or 144.

So you have no sound option unless you stump up for a new AV amp that does HDMI 2.1 pass through ? Guess what. They don’t exist either. Currently.

So , will Microsoft introduce something ? At a ridiculous price? To sort this sheet storm out?

It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, having the same dilemma, currently have an older TV i.e.not 4k and older AV receiver which uses optical.
getting the console means having to upgrade the the TV and receiver to be able to get the full experience, which I don't really want to do just yet.
So options are
1) get a 4K TV and new receiver - but don't really want to drop that sort of cash right now
2) Get a 4K TV and ensure it has optical so that can feed the existing receiver, was planning on getting the TV in January so would either make do for now or bring the purchase forward and worry about better sound later on
3) Get a new receiver now which has HDMI inputs to get sound and delay TV purchase till mid / late next year
4) Source a HDMI optical splitter
4) Hold off on the xbox purchase until I get the TV etc first- Have the xbox one and GP for now so can still get my fix
5) Dont bother with anything, don a loincloth and go and find a cave to live in as a hermit :D:p

What should I do ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Forget about HDMI 2.1 for at least a year?

That's what I'm doing.

If my pre order for the Series X does actually happen then I might just stick it on Ebay, and put any profit towards getting a new set up that can make the most of it..

Eventually.

Caporegime
I was annoyed by this, however I was quickly informed optical out is an archaic standard that needs to die.

Luckily Astro are releasing an update for my headset so it will work via USB I believe.

It’s also absent on the PS5 FYI.

Associate
OP
I've never played a game in the living room.Like. Ever. I don't use a TV to play games. I use a "monitor" ?

Hence the conundrum.

We have a quite nice 4k 60 inch TV with a decent 7.1 Atmos system and a fairly decent analogue sound system in the lounge.

You're missing the point. No Idea What.

Soldato
It does seem to be disappearing from new tech now and while I don't use it any more I do see the issues it causes for people like yourself with monitors. Receivers are annoying as well, a big part of why I haven't switched to 4k yet is that I will need to buy a new amp to go with it.

HDMI Arc is the right direction though as it gets rid of the annoying lip sync issues but my tv can't send HD audio through it which is a bit rubbish. Anyone know if new TV's have Arc on more than 1 HDMI port yet? So you can have both a soundbar (day to day viewing) and a proper surround sound system for movies connected and be able to choose between them.

Soldato
I'm disappointed but not surprised, still using optical to manage an older wireless headset which then passes through to the amp but fortunately the TV has optical out, but it means I'd have to scrap plans to switch to ARC as it can't do ARC and optical out at the same time.

Associate
OP
Err. Thanks but nope. That's 1080p only. You can get splitters that do HDMI 2.0 4k passthrough but from what I've been reading they don't work all that well and they don't last very long.

There are high end solutions but they cost a packet and I may as well just buy a new amp. The Z5500 system I have is over 10 years old. Maybe it's time for a change.

Last edited:
Soldato
Err. Thanks but nope. That's 1080p only. You can get splitters that do HDMI 2.0 4k passthrough but from what I've been reading they don't work all that well and they don't last very long.

There are high end solutions but they cost a packet and I may as well just buy a new amp. The Z5500 system I have is over 10 years old. Maybe it's time for a change.

Have you tried them? I got a cheapass chinese audio splitter from amazon the other day and it was quite happy dealing with 4k...

Soldato
Optical is dead...this is a good thing to move the av industry forward.

Also not sure why some here are buying a day one X and still running in 1080p with an old amp? Makes no sense.

Soldato
Optical is dead...this is a good thing to move the av industry forward.

Also not sure why some here are buying a day one X and still running in 1080p with an old amp? Makes no sense.

Some of us don't care for multi-channel. I run a 4k HDR projector and route the optical via a DAC into a Naim amplifier. Makes a lot of sense.

Soldato
also not sure why some here are buying a day one X and still running in 1080p with an old amp? Makes no sense.

Plenty of reasons. You don't need an atmos setup to enjoy a series x.

Phil Spencer explained it was basically a cost thing. He told ign they are saving an estimated $200m by not adding an optical port. But also, he said they are seeing what manufactures are doing with USB headsets and he 'has a plan'. A bit vague but I wonder if a USB dac will be an option down the line.

Soldato
So what options do we have ? Use a HDMI/ audio splitter? Well if you can find one that works and lasts longer than 3 months , good luck with that. I don’t need that hassle.
Are they really that bad? I mean it's your only option right now if you don't want to make bigger changes to your setup, for the sake of £30~ I'd say they're worth investigating over buying new speakers or a TV/monitor with optical out.

Associate
OP
Have you tried them? I got a cheapass chinese audio splitter from amazon the other day and it was quite happy dealing with 4k...

Nope. Not yet. Which one did you get? There's hundreds of the damn things out there!

That aside , they are all HDMI 2.0 and not 2.1. If you can find one that is then please let us know.

I really want to upgrade my monitor to a proper 4K 32" with HDMI 2.1 and freesync (like the viewsonic I linked to earlier). Current monitor is an Acer Pro Designer BM320 - great for photo and video editing but not so hot for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom