Cyclists Beware

Soldato
Car looked to be going pretty fast so he may have not judged it right as it was far away so had time to turn, cannot see if the bike has lights (do not think so).

The poor chap had a blinking (to be seen) light you can clearly see in the video.

I've got one of those, but I only use it either solo, during the day, or at night in conjunction with a more powerful (see by) light.

Permabanned
OP
The poor chap had a blinking (to be seen) light you can clearly see in the video.

I've got one of those, but I only use it either solo, during the day, or at night in conjunction with a more powerful (see by) light.

I did not state for sure he had not lights and I did see something at rear but thought it may be a reflector.

Man of Honour
I actually despair a bit when it comes to the cyclist/road/drivers situation at the moment - 3 cyclist killed around the area I live (one of them a bit further away but made the local news) within the last 1-2 months and saw this posted to YT recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2QwkcEpQs

Only a few days ago I saw a near miss when someone tried to overtake a cyclist on a bend. Couple of nights ago had another encounter with a cyclist in the dark with no high-viz and no lights at all (was some dim light around head height - maybe head band, maybe holding phone or something - but only noticed it afterwards looking in the rear view)

Between the poor practises on both sides of the equation - cyclists who expect others to look out for them, poor use of lights and/or high vis and drivers that just don't care/know they will come off better than the cyclist - I'm surprised more aren't killed on a daily basis.

EDIT: This is a large part of why I always drive to the speed limit within built up areas - seen so many incidents like this with cyclists just coming out of nowhere with unrealistic expectations especially when it comes to cutting corners.

Soldato
This is a large part of why I always drive to the speed limit within built up areas - seen so many incidents like this with cyclists just coming out of nowhere with unrealistic expectations especially when it comes to cutting corners.

Same here. When driving down a side street with cars parked bumper to bumper along both sides and a narrow gap for traffic along the middle, there's no way you can scan every possible place a cyclist could emerge from. At least at 20-30mph you've a much better chance of getting on the brakes before impact, and even if you hit them as you're slowing you're far less likely to send them flying up in the air or run over them.

Man of Honour
Same here. When driving down a side street with cars parked bumper to bumper along both sides and a narrow gap for traffic along the middle, there's no way you can scan every possible place a cyclist could emerge from. At least at 20-30mph you've a much better chance of getting on the brakes before impact, and even if you hit them as you're slowing you're far less likely to send them flying up in the air or run over them.

Literally on my driving test - as I was exiting a roundabout I had a cyclist come out of an alley between two buildings and straight into the road without stopping or checking and zero visibility before they appeared at the edge of the buildings - so I had basically the width of the pavement which they covered at probably 15mph in which to react. Pulled into the other lane without fully checking it was safe to do so and got a minor for it - to be fair could easily have been a major. But if I hadn't that cyclist would 100% have ended up in the hospital.

Soldato
I bet the cyclistOP didn't even pay road tax.
corrected

Obviously legitimate cases where cyclists are responsible, but you can't easily protect yourself against wreckless 'driving' like that,
fortunate footage was captured - death by dangerous driving - maxs at 14 years ?

Caporegime
Horrible.

Bit difficult to judge from a video with a dodgy framerate and from not knowing the speed limit (assume it is 30 though from what i can see), but it does indeed look like the car was going far too fast.

Soldato
corrected

Obviously legitimate cases where cyclists are responsible, but you can't easily protect yourself against wreckless 'driving' like that,
fortunate footage was captured - death by dangerous driving - maxs at 14 years ?

Probably not. He will get a ban for speeding but the blame will go to the cyclist for being hit.

Unless he was also drunk or high or something.

Soldato
Oof. Car looked like it was going way too fast, certainly to launch the chap like that.

Not saying the cyclist was completely innocent here, but wtf with the victim shaming.

Soldato
The car was obviously speeding. It was night time. It is more difficult to judge distance when just looking at lights, either from a car or bicycle.

I don't trust drivers at all these days. I drive defensively. There are too many idiots on the roads.

Soldato
RIP

exactly why you should be doing 30 not whatever that idiot was doing

Completely different but yesterday I was doing 50 in a 50 and around a bend were two people walking on the road.. luckily was no oncoming traffic

Soldato
The car was obviously speeding. It was night time. It is more difficult to judge distance when just looking at lights, either from a car or bicycle.

I don't trust drivers at all these days. I drive defensively. There are too many idiots on the roads.

obviously speeding based on what, your feels................. lol

Soldato
I think you need to get your eyes tested or re-watch the video sober.

show me the speed readout on the video that shows he is speeding, then i'll buy your theories. On your logic I'll say he wasn't speeding and you need to watch the video again once the effects of the crack have worn off. I can do this all day

Caporegime
show me the speed readout on the video that shows he is speeding, then i'll buy your theories. On your logic I'll say he wasn't speeding and you need to watch the video again once the effects of the crack have worn off. I can do this all day

Erm...based on his speed compared to the other cars in the clip, how long it takes him to stop and how far the poor guy goes when hit...

Back
Top Bottom