Whats going on?

Soldato
To be clear and fair on this, Larian didnt "take another franchise" they were specifically approached by them to do BG3, so if you want to apportion blame its not Larian who you should be aiming at.

If Wizards of the Coast (or whoever owns the rights at this point) approached them and asked them to make the game fair enough, to hell with them for making a terrible decision :p. I'm assuming Larian had some creative licence and weren't strong armed into making a turn based game however. Perhaps they were, yet another angry letter I need to write WoTC should that be the case.

It's honestly just extremely disappointing, Infinity Engine DnD games were a huge part of my early foray's into PC gaming and the Baldurs Gate series, especially the second, rank as some of my favourite games of all time. I'm not opposed to turn based games and there's many I enjoy, but as a computer game it is not what I expect or want from a successor to the BG franchise.

Associate
Still enjoy the odd session on PUBG but only if mates are online too.

Apart from that I've had low interested in anything game related, online or offline. I think I may give WoW Shadowlands a go when it drops...especially as we're in for a pretty dire winter!

Associate
As a few people have mentioned WoW is launching its new expansion Shadowlands on Oct 27th.

If ever there was a time to get back on the WoW train its now. The expansion looks set to be great. Most of the YouTuber concerns are from the 0.1% of competitive raiders. Narratively thematically, artistically etc it looks to be very good. I came back to wow mid BFA and BFA was a very bad expansion but WoW has a history of going good expac, bad expac, good etc so I'm positive. So maybe if you have time then consider Shadowlands as it is a big reset and it will never have been easier for a new player as the levels are being squished back down to 60max. 120max chars at end of bfa being squished to 50 and the levelling from 1 to 50 is being revamped so you can play through whatever expac storyline you want and the levelling will also be the fastest it has ever been.

Soldato
I been playing Factorio, Path of Exile and Crusader kings 3 and a little X4. I can't seem to finish anything with a story anymore so never ending games/sandboxes seem to be my thing. Even these I am burning out fast and switching between. I really like the idea of Cyberpunk but just know I'll play like 25% of it then get bored. Did the same with RDR2. Sucks getting old lol :(

Soldato
Sorry OP, but our age has made us cranky :)

Rightly so when it comes to BG3 :p

:D

I've said it before elsewhere, if Larian had made a DnD based game named almost anything else I'd have had no problem whatsoever. It isn't at all fair in my eyes to use the legacy of a beloved game series and totally change the gameplay that series was lauded for. It's made worse by the fact it's very possible to make a RTWP style game and then mod it at a later date to be fully turn based, it's almost impossible for the opposite of that to happen.

Man of Honour
:D

I've said it before elsewhere, if Larian had made a DnD based game named almost anything else I'd have had no problem whatsoever. It isn't at all fair in my eyes to use the legacy of a beloved game series and totally change the gameplay that series was lauded for. It's made worse by the fact it's very possible to make a RTWP style game and then mod it at a later date to be fully turn based, it's almost impossible for the opposite of that to happen.

Thats the fault of WOTC though, not Larian. WoTC choose Larian, was their choice, they must have made that choice knowing full well that Larian would suggest making it turned based, so WoTC must have wanted it that way, otherwise they wouldnt choose Larian to do it. I mean its not like Larian accepted the task of making BG3 and then created the game turn based in a secret underground bunker behind WoTC backs.

I think the bottom line is that for whatever reasons (perhaps because of the reception DOS2 received, perhaps because they felt it would modernise the BG series, perhaps other reasons) WoTC picked to have Larian make BG3 and WoTC picked to have it be turned based. If they hadnt, then Larian wouldnt be making BG3 in this manner. You dont hire someone to bake you a cake without specifying the type of cake you want, all the baker does is make whats asked of them, if the cake proves to not be a type of cake that you like, you blame the person who requested that cake, rather than the baker who followed the recipe :D

Soldato
Thats the fault of WOTC though, not Larian. WoTC choose Larian, was their choice, they must have made that choice knowing full well that Larian would suggest making it turned based, so WoTC must have wanted it that way, otherwise they wouldnt choose Larian to do it. I mean its not like Larian accepted the task of making BG3 and then created the game turn based in a secret underground bunker behind WoTC backs.

I think the bottom line is that for whatever reasons (perhaps because of the reception DOS2 received, perhaps because they felt it would modernise the BG series, perhaps other reasons) WoTC picked to have Larian make BG3 and WoTC picked to have it be turned based. If they hadnt, then Larian wouldnt be making BG3 in this manner. You dont hire someone to bake you a cake without specifying the type of cake you want, all the baker does is make whats asked of them, if the cake proves to not be a type of cake that you like, you blame the person who requested that cake, rather than the baker who followed the recipe :D

That's fair enough.

Honestly I don't mean to throw shade on Larian, while their games are not particularly for me I think it's undeniable that the games they do release are extremely polished, made with a lot of love, and have excellent support. They're a very solid development studio.

Man of Honour
That's fair enough.

Honestly I don't mean to throw shade on Larian, while their games are not particularly for me I think it's undeniable that the games they do release are extremely polished, made with a lot of love, and have excellent support. They're a very solid development studio.

No worries at all, I have no particular flag to carry for Larian, whilst I've very much enjoyed DOS2 , I havent really enjoyed the other Larian Divinity titles. I guess its just that I see so many people blaming Larian for BG3 when its not who they should be blaming if they dont like the decisions made.

TBH, I still think that a lot of people who at this moment in time are against BG3 will actually end up buying it anyway, its not like we're drowning in well produced high quality AAA CRPGs, so you've got to take what you can get and compromise. If BG3 turns out well and scores very highly in reviews, I'm sure that many who are on (or entirely over) the fence on it will buy it anyway :)

Soldato
Thought this was going to be a thread moaning about my biggest gripe with watching YouTube videos, idiots starting their videos with "What's going on?" or "What's up?".

Back
Top Bottom