Microsoft ditch optical out on the Series X. Good Idea?

Associate
OP
As someone mentioned above , Microsoft might come up with some sort of USB solution to all this hopefully.

I currently use a USB / optical interface to get the sound from my Mac mini to the Z5500 and that works just fine.

Associate
OP
If you can sit 3 feet away from a 55" TV to game on then you must have really weird eyesight lol.

I don't game in the living room. I have a man cave. In the living room we have a Sony KD65XE9305 Onyko 7.1 and Q Acoustics system that is great for movies but I just can't be doing with gaming on it OK? That's why I use a monitor . I just prefer it.

Associate
If you can sit 3 feet away from a 55" TV to game on then you must have really weird eyesight lol.

I don't game in the living room. I have a man cave. In the living room we have a Sony KD65XE9305 Onyko 7.1 and Q Acoustics system that is great for movies but I just can't be doing with gaming on it OK? That's why I use a monitor . I just prefer it.

No-one is judging you dude! :). Everyone has their own bespoke setup and you need to find what works for you at the end of the day. However, I will say surprisingly you can sit quite close to a 55" without it engulfing you and you do notice a bit more finer detail than sat on the sofa.

Hoping the solution you need pops up - I'm sure there will be a lot of 3rd party stuff coming.

Associate
OP
Yup. Anyways I've decided to hang fire on the 2.1 stuff. If I do manage to get the Series X that I pre ordered then I'll just hang on to it and wait and see how it all pans out. I'm quite happy with my One X to be fair.

Seems those that bought a RTX 3080 are having a bit of a time trying to get 2.1 features to work on their LG OLEDs anyways , so who knows how it will all turn out .

Early adopters / first world problems.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's frustrating; I use a Logitech Z906 setup in my office/man-cave and my Xbox One X is straight into it with the Optical cable; the only 4K screen I have (and the one I use with the XB1X) is my 32" LG 4K screen but it only has a 3.5mm out which isn't great.

Soldato
I’m in a similar position, I currently use a monitor and an old sound bar connected via spdif from my one X

Not sure what I’ll do either but as above the sound bar is old so probably a good excuse to upgrade

What are my options if my monitor doesn’t support audio out from the HDMI, other than a splitter posted above?

Associate
OP
It appears that Astro are releasing a HDMI to Optical splitter for the PS5. It's HDMI 2.1 so it should have no issues passing through 5.1 and 4k 120hz. Released next month (October) $40.

Could be interesting (if it also works on the Series X)

Back
Top Bottom