Changing engine oil - pump it out, or let it drain?

Soldato
Cost me like £30 for a local independant to do the oil change
had to ask - did they suck the oil out ?

if you have the means/place to do an oil change it is max 30mins elapsed time;
I don't think the suckers would work on my diff or the gearbox, leastaways you can't reach the bottom with a tube on mine afaik,
so I just use one of those jerry cans with a concave side catch, for all 3 purposes ... but diff+gearbox are only every 3 years.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It wouldn't even be worth as little as £30 to have the oil changed on my cars, they are both top mount filter and you can suck the oil out using a Pela pump within about half an hour all told including cleaning up.

As to the pump or drain scenario, if pumping with a Pela was good enough for the large volvo engine in our Hallberg-Rassy, then it is good enough for my little BMW and Merc cars. Not even worth the consideration of draining it IMHO.

Caporegime
Got 1

20200924-131317.jpg

Now I just need oil, filter and a jerry can.

Associate
For oil containers I bought a couple of 5 litre bottles of water from tesco, the ones with the grab handle on top. O

I;ve found an empty 10ltr AdBlue container is ideal, as it comes with its own pouring spout for when you get to the recycling centre.

Good shout on using them for filing gearbox and diffs - I may pick one up at that cost

Soldato
I Have a Sealy suction pump,great way to do it, Afew pumps on the handle and in for a coffee, Take the used oil to Newquay landfill on my way for a surf, not a big deal.
I put 270k miles on my last car using this method, main dealer oil and filter £32 and done every 10k to 12k

Associate
I have one of these and its very useful for PS, brake, clutch and Diff fluid but I prefer to do the oil properly and drain from the sump - if you have a top mounted oil filter it probably is feasible to use a pump but far too much faffing - my car takes about 5.5+ Litres of oil and draining all that with a pump would be ridiculous, far easier to take off the sump plug. Diff fluid is a whole new ball game and its really tricky but its doable and only needs to be done every few years

https://i.imgur.com/qNVjriY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom