Cleaning petrol tank?

Soldato
It's for a motorbike but I've posted in motors and bikers cafe because obviously people from motors don't visit bikers cafe.

I've got a leak after taking the petcock off and refitting, however it's not the petcock after tracing it to a seam 2" back.

Basically I've drained the tank, but there's rust in there. What's the cheapest and easiest way to get the majority out? Stones in and shake? Nuts and bolts and shake?

I'll be getting some chemical metal or Gorilla epoxy, and running it along the inside of the tank to hopefully seal it.

My questions are:
How do I get the rust out?
If I use nuts and bolts and shake will it blow up (thinking about risk of spark?)?
Am I best sticking a hose and water through it first?
To put the dirty fuel 95% clean and good) would I be ok using a coffee filter or the same filter they use in body shops for paint?

Never messed around with a tank before so being wary.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think there are products out there to clean out fuel tanks on bikes? I'd imagine you'd need to follow whatever instructions to make sure there's no traces of petrol left in there being using it and whatever else you need to use like lots of small bolts.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the advice guys. Was looking at JB weld once I've got tank emptied.

Just flushed it through with hot water and got loads of stuff out. Still some in there though.

As for the flush I've seen Hammerite and some stuff beginning with J. Rust removal stuff.

Soldato
OP
How about mixing up a solution of Built Hamber Deox-C and adding that to the tank? That should break down all the rust and remove all traces of it.

https://www.bilthamber.com/deox-c

Used this stuff - what great stuff! It didn't get rid of all of it but enough to put POR15 in.

Because it accumulated in the tub underneath, I put some other rusty bits in and they came out great too! They had some flash rudt on, same as the tank, but bit of wire brushing and some sandpaper they'll come up good.

Back
Top Bottom