What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Does anyone else not bother setting the correct time or date when they actually put their watch on? When ever I bother to wear my day date it usually needs winding, so I'll wind it up to get it sweeping smoothly but never actually bother setting the right time, date or day lol
Yeah since lockdown being at home all the time I've barely been wearing a watch and when I do I mostly just pop it on and don't set the time. Look at me in my pretty jewellery.

Soldato
Yeah since lockdown being at home all the time I've barely been wearing a watch and when I do I mostly just pop it on and don't set the time. Look at me in my pretty jewellery.

Agreed, I've got two Tudor watches and the new 2020 no date sub, all in a safety deposit box. I'm wearing a £200 Straton atm

Soldato
Hey guys!

Trying to find a strap for my fiancée's new Ballon Bleu de Cartier (this one), but the only one that meets the reqs is actually a ridiculously cheap one from aliexpress...which feels wrong, putting a £10 strap on a £12.5k watch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32794794084.html
WdEx8UJ.png

Requirements:

• 16-14mm leather strap
  • Deployant claps. Watch is a rose gold case, so ideally the deployant would also be rose gold, at least in colour. SS with a rose gold finish is fine for this.
  • Ideally red
Cartier don't make a deployant strap this small.
Hirsch don't seem to either.

Any ideas?

Caporegime
Hey guys!

Trying to find a strap for my fiancée's new Ballon Bleu de Cartier (this one), but the only one that meets the reqs is actually a ridiculously cheap one from aliexpress...which feels wrong, putting a £10 strap on a £12.5k watch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32794794084.html
WdEx8UJ.png

Requirements:

• 16-14mm leather strap
  • Deployant claps. Watch is a rose gold case, so ideally the deployant would also be rose gold, at least in colour. SS with a rose gold finish is fine for this.
  • Ideally red
Cartier don't make a deployant strap this small.
Hirsch don't seem to either.

Any ideas?

Etsy can be good for stuff like this. Search for the watch model name and there's quite a few results.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/785...allery-1-7&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1

Soldato
Etsy can be good for stuff like this. Search for the watch model name and there's quite a few results.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/785...allery-1-7&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1

Cheers, will take a look. I think that still falls into a similar category, I'd (rightly or wrongly) feel more comfortable with a "big" name strap, ie Hirsch, or a known boutique manufacturer or some such, vs a £25 quid including clasp from a random on AliExpress/Etsy...if that makes sense?

Get one made to the specs you want. I've had a few for my JLC (which has unusual lug vs depolyment widths) from Banda. https://banda.com/

This looks promising,will take a look! cheers.

EDIT: Ah they don't do rose gold deployants, and they don't do a deployant in the "cartier style" either :(

Man of Honour
Cheers, will take a look. I think that still falls into a similar category, I'd (rightly or wrongly) feel more comfortable with a "big" name strap, ie Hirsch, or a known boutique manufacturer or some such, vs a £25 quid including clasp from a random on AliExpress/Etsy...if that makes sense?

This looks promising,will take a look! cheers.

EDIT: Ah they don't do rose gold deployants, and they don't do a deployant in the "cartier style" either :(

You can get a deployment anywhere (cousins or whatever) just order strap without one. Buy the deployment first so you can spec the strap obviously. My JLC has two notches rather than one and doesn't fit any standard straps. Couple of pics later and this was sorted for custom straps. I've had a couple of alligators from them. Not cheap particularly but excellent.

Associate
@iMacMart regarding the TW Steel.

A bit chunky? it's a 50mm watch :eek:

I hope you have massive wrists otherwise, and that's personal opinion, it will just look silly.

A bit chunky? it's a 50mm watch :eek:

I hope you have massive wrists otherwise, and that's personal opinion, it will just look silly.
That's cool. btw IMGur is perfect for quick free image hosting.

I find imgbox also pretty good ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime

I know what you mean, that's why I got the proper Omega NATO strap for my Seamaster because everything else looked cheap on it.

Man of Honour
There are a good number of 1st party NATO and strap makers where the OEMs go to get their stock straps made anyway. They will cost anywhere from £30 to £120 depending on the type of strap in question, but the OEM branded ones cost a lot more because you have the branded buckle or clasp going on it too and nothing else.

Soldato
EbVFtS5jpjZJmkGOXAApe-8BMt6eyLJI0FDYEtcCvjB2fw

thumbnail

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bit of a Tudor fan then^ :cool:

Did this ever arrive? Don't remember you posting your mystery purchase?

I actually missed a key bit of info on the add to cart button which stated shipping starts end of September :o

Its the Hudson 38 MkIII I posted about few months back, I chose the jet black version because no date window. I also ordered the custom rubber strap with butterfly clasp.

Details: https://www.maenwatches.com/pages/hudson-automatic-collection

I messaged Maen and they clarified. All pre-orders are being assembled in Switzerland this week then being tested, regulated and QCd.

This watch is their first using the STP1-11 Elabore movement so am quite excited to see what it looks like with their decoration as the STP movement itself is finished to a better quality with better decoration as standard than the ETA 2824-2 it clones. There's an extra jewel at the barrel bridge too for a longer lifespan.

I'm not getting too excited though as the Dan Henry looked amazing on their website but turned out to be really hard to read the time or read the chrono seconds due to the way the boxed crystal bounces light and hand style camouflaging into the dark textured dial, although somehow I feel confident about the Hudson?

Last edited:
Associate
Bit of a Tudor fan then^ :cool:

I actually missed a key bit of info on the add to cart button which stated shipping starts end of September :o

Its the Hudson 38 MkIII I posted about few months back, I chose the jet black version because no date window. I also ordered the custom rubber strap with butterfly clasp.

Details: https://www.maenwatches.com/pages/hudson-automatic-collection

I messaged Maen and they clarified. All pre-orders are being assembled in Switzerland this week then being tested, regulated and QCd.

This watch is their first using the STP1-11 Elabore movement so am quite excited to see what it looks like with their decoration as the STP movement itself is finished to a better quality with better decoration as standard than the ETA 2824-2 it clones. There's an extra jewel at the barrel bridge too for a longer lifespan.

I'm not getting too excited though as the Dan Henry looked amazing on their website but turned out to be really hard to read the time or read the chrono seconds due to the way the boxed crystal bounces light and hand style camouflaging into the dark textured dial, although somehow I feel confident about the Hudson?

Can’t wait to get your feedback on this one, looked nice on their website so fingers crossed that you won’t be disappointed ;)

Associate
On my side my latest addition to my collection is a Formex Essence. Took a long time to arrive it, bought it from someone US based.

The brand/model is not well known and to be honest its the only model I like from them. It's quite a big watch (43mm) and so I understand it won't be for everyone. Despite the size I have to say I am really pleased with its very reasonable thickness, 10mm.

It has one particular feature, which is specific/patented to Formex, in the sense that the central part of the case is suspended (hence why the 4 visible screws on the front). It basically moves/adjusts itself a little bit depending on the position of your wrist.

https://watchbandit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ae454c9f9d430d162761ec5a1f979ac6_original.gif

snapshot_16807bb240c362477079c.md.jpg

snapshot_282475249d66dab13ca937aa4.md.jpg

snapshot_1622650073b934fba2d8c30f0a.md.jpg

snapshot_984943658cb88ab0633f89b20.md.jpg

snapshot_11441089307ca792c2261e5e79.md.jpg

Further specs below, for those of you who might be interested:

Diameter: 43mm
Height: 10mm
Lug width: 22mm
Lug-to-lug: 49mm
Water resistance: 10 bar (100 metres / 330 feet)
Weight: 80g (case only)

Bezel: Stainless steel 316L
Case: Stainless steel 316L
Glass: Sapphire crystal (front and back) with anti-reflection treatment

Movement Sellita SW200-1 COSC certified
Grey "dégradé" dial

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom