*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
If you can afford it, then go with the UAP-HDNano (ceiling mounted directional antenna) or UAP-HDFlex (omnidirectional antenna for mounting almost anywhere). If you’re not ceiling mounting then go with the Flex. Or get an AP stand for the Nano.

Of the cheaper ones, I’d always go with the UAP-AC-LR because it’s just that little better than the UAP-Ac-Lite, but I dint think you’d be unhappy with a Lite. Again, ceiling or stand mounted.

Associate
If you can afford it, then go with the UAP-HDNano (ceiling mounted directional antenna) or UAP-HDFlex (omnidirectional antenna for mounting almost anywhere). If you’re not ceiling mounting then go with the Flex. Or get an AP stand for the Nano.

Of the cheaper ones, I’d always go with the UAP-AC-LR because it’s just that little better than the UAP-Ac-Lite, but I dint think you’d be unhappy with a Lite. Again, ceiling or stand mounted.
And both of those options will allow wireless mesh to the udm and breakout to physical ethernet for devices on the other side of the house? I can see people also mention the Hd one which has two ethernet ports and is more expensive.

Soldato
And both of those options will allow wireless mesh to the udm and breakout to physical ethernet for devices on the other side of the house? I can see people also mention the Hd one which has two ethernet ports and is more expensive.

No, they’re access points. They’ll only give you meshed data transfer across the mesh connection. If you want to bridge your network out to a wired network elsewhere you’ll need something slightly different.

Please don’t get confused with the UAP-AC-HD. That’s a monster access point for huge areas with literally hundreds (thousand+) of simultaneous connections. And while it has a pass though network port it’s slower to use that than to use the mesh functionality.

Caporegime
Forgive me ignorance, getting a little confused with passthrough/duplex monikers. I am laying an ethernet cable from UDM to the kitchen to power (PoE injector at the kitchen end) an AP-LR, that should give the AP full speed right? And I can tell the Mac right next to it to connect it to it over the UDM in the living room (Mac gets around 60-70 Mbps from the UDM)?

Caporegime
To the Mac? Ports on my UDM are running out fast and wiring up my main rig upstairs is more important than our kitchen Mac exclusively used to watch Friends whilst cooking/making coffee :p.

Soldato
Forgive me ignorance, getting a little confused with passthrough/duplex monikers. I am laying an ethernet cable from UDM to the kitchen to power (PoE injector at the kitchen end) an AP-LR, that should give the AP full speed right? And I can tell the Mac right next to it to connect it to it over the UDM in the living room (Mac gets around 60-70 Mbps from the UDM)?

Passthough is just that - the data passes through the device to another device. It can be at full speed, or less.

Duplex generally refers to simultaneous bidirectional communication between two devices. Simplex or half-duplex means one device transmits while the other listens. 802.11 WLAN is a half-duplex communication protocol which is why you have to divide the advertised speed by two - because in theory both devices can transmit and receive at, say, 833Mbps but they can’t do it at the same time. So one is always sending and then has to wait for other to receive the data and transmit back.

802.3 (Ethernet LAN) is full duplex so it can transmit and receive at 1Gbps. Hence a cable is generally faster... (among many other reasons).

Caporegime
@WJA96 thank you. Haha I was intending on getting that switch before I bought the UDM, it's not urgent now but will get it further down the line.

HTPC now on LAN, kitchen AP should have much better throughput and hopefully give WiFi to the garden, may wire up my main rig upstairs, better WiFi overall with the UDM compared to my AP-LR before, guest network set up - enjoying the Unifi experience so far :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
No, they’re access points. They’ll only give you meshed data transfer across the mesh connection. If you want to bridge your network out to a wired network elsewhere you’ll need something slightly different.

Please don’t get confused with the UAP-AC-HD. That’s a monster access point for huge areas with literally hundreds (thousand+) of simultaneous connections. And while it has a pass though network port it’s slower to use that than to use the mesh functionality.

Thanks its the remote physical breakout that is going to be key for my six month rental as I cant run cables. Any idea which AP will allow me to do that outside of the UAP-AC-HD I seem to get lost with all of the wifi options available for ubiquiti, but my use case is quite specific

Associate
I have just bought a UDM-Pro and a USW Flex Mini with the plan on buying a UniFi Switch PRO 24 PoE next month.
This is for when FTTP is delivered to my house. I presume I can not use the WAN SFP from the BT ONT and will have to use the RJ45 connection WAN? Do I need to have a BT modem in between or can I just go ONT-UDM?
Once the switch is in place, I will just SFP from the UDM-Switch and then add WAP's and cameras at later date to replace BT whole home and Ring devices.

Soldato
Thanks its the remote physical breakout that is going to be key for my six month rental as I cant run cables. Any idea which AP will allow me to do that outside of the UAP-AC-HD I seem to get lost with all of the wifi options available for ubiquiti, but my use case is quite specific

How thick are the walls? If it’s genuinely only temporary them I’d buy a 50m flat Ethernet cable and run it outside, passing it under the window openings. Cheaper and much more effective.

Back
Top Bottom