What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Enemy Lines on Netflix,

Supposed to be a war film and one thing I can't stand is inaccuracies , John Hannah is supposed to be a WW2 Colonel and he has a fine array of medal ribbons
yet the earliest one he has is 1962, he even has an Iraq war ribbon.
If you can't get the little things right it doesn't bode well for the rest of the film, it is mediocre at best, didn't even finish it.

Low budget gonna low budget. What do you expect from a turd?

Big Fish = 8/10

Fantastic piece of work from the one and only Tim Burton.

Soldato
Terminator Dark Fate

Just seemed a bit generic really, sort of disappointing with James Cameron’s involvement. The two new ideas for the ‘terminators’ were good, but the constant cycle of running, being found, escaping was a little trite.

Lead female was also a bit annoying with her “we must stand and fight” despite being a weak human... who then needlessly put herself at risk of harm at the very end.

“Carl” also seemed a bit silly.

Watchable but very forgettable.
THey tried to do in one film the character arch of Conner that took two films. First fim Sarah totally unprepared, taking all this info in, kinda clumsy unsure, makes sense, she stay that way till more or less the final scene in teh film. Its not till time passes and another film we get bas add Conner.
The lead girl was terrible no leading presence at all, if they had made her an ex military etc, could have worked more. Their is so much to do in that universe and they just waste it trying and badly to create the first two movies.

Soldato
Enola - 2/10

I feel like ive wasted 2hours on a load of s--, story was poor at best, If I paid for this I would have walked out.
good cast but hardly used, looked the part

a waste of henry cavil time IMO.

I dont know how it got such a high score on IMDB.

I hope they dont make another

Man of Honour
Enola - 2/10

I feel like ive wasted 2hours on a load of s--, story was poor at best, If I paid for this I would have walked out.
good cast but hardly used, looked the part

a waste of henry cavil time IMO.

I dont know how it got such a high score on IMDB.

I hope they dont make another

Just watched it - didn't find it as bad as I thought it might be - but a few times it was a bit rocky on the rails. I kind of enjoyed it in the same vein as say The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or the Van Helsing movie of that era only not as much.

Very mixed feeling about it for me - there was a lot going on, especially character development which a lot of the story was about, which wasn't in your face but I think they left it too ambiguous for the viewer on too many points - I actually kind of liked it didn't spell it all out but at the same time almost felt like they were too lazy to actually fill in the blanks and just left the bare bones in there with the pretence more was going on for want of a better way to explain it.

Henry Cavill came across as just having a bit of a laugh playing Holmes - I actually quite liked the character and connection developed with Enola but it wasn't Sherlock - needed to be half as much emotion based and much more a development of respect and based even more than it was on a dislike of the callous and cold way Mycroft treated her rather than affection - more of the nature of the connection between Holmes and Watson.

I'd be happy for them to make another if they learn from what did and didn't work with this one.

Soldato
I actually quite liked the character and connection developed with Enola but it wasn't Sherlock - needed to be half as much emotion based

This is what the legal case is all about with this movie. Some of the books are no longer covered by copyright, but the ones written after WWI are still covered. It was after WWI that the auther changed Sherlock to have a little more emotion and basically be less of a d*ck. So, any movie that portrays Sherlock this way is getting sued as they say Sherlock being like that is still under copyright!

Caporegime
Enola Holmes

What if Sherlock had a younger sister who was a detective too? Based on a series of YA books aimed at teenage girls that carries through to a film that feels like I'm not its target audience. It's big on fourth wall breaking talking to camera, even in the middle of dialogue, which periodically strayed over the lime from whimsical to irritating. But overall there's plenty of visual and verbal humour, and a solid enough story to keep things ticking along. Henry Cavill was an thoroughly enjoyable Sherlock, although not exactly true to the books, but I found the take on Mycroft lacking in redeeming features. There was also a major subplot, originally presented as the major plot, which was really underdeveloped in the end. I get the feeling it's handled in later books - and likely films - but it felt like the movie spent a lot of time on something not really needed here and that bloated it out.

Enjoyable, but far from flawless, 7/10

Caporegime
The Devil All the Time - 6/10

A bit of a weird one, some powerful acting from Pattinson and Jason Clarke. Tom Holland felt too much like an unsuited Spiderman at times, couldn't get away from it with him overpowering everyone he came across. Sebastian Stan looks like he's been stung in both cheeks by a bee for most of the film.

Associate
I watched Anaconda on Netflix after not watching it since it came out on video and remembering very little.

Holy crap is Jon Voight (assuming unintentionally) funny in this movie.

He plays the worst, most stereotyped Latin American accent like he literally just copied it from the "Say hello to my little friend!" line from Scarface. All while doing a constant downturned sneer like the worst De Niro impression you ever saw.

There's barely a time where he's speaking where it isn't hilariously bad or when he's leering at Jennifer Lopez, the faces he pulls are ridiculous. This is the same guy from Midnight Cowboy and the Deer Hunter, once regarded as one of the best actors around.

He is unbelievably bad in Anaconda, we're talking Tommy Wiseau levels in The Room.

Well, well worth watching for one of the most amazingly bad performances of all time in Jon Voight's Panamanian snake hunter.

Associate
Red Rock West 9/10

I remember watching on hols back in the nineties (Florida), it was a straight to video film starring Nicolas Cage & Dennis Hopper, circa 1993. It's a hidden gem. Basically film noir, Hitchcockesque plot and one of two films Cage starred; that I really enjoyed (The Rock is the other).

Just picked up a Blu-ray copy, only appears as a German release, but flipping the language, the original soundtrack is available. Always loved the audio track as well - a real blast from the past. The transfer looks great as a Blu-ray.

Now on the hunt for another obscure 90's favourite of mine, 'Breakdown' with Kurt Russell :cool:

Associate
Bill and Ted Face the Music ...

It could have been terrible, and it wasn't ... but it didn't bowl me over either ... I don't regret watching it, but it's not something that'll stick with me like the earlier films did ... I guess it was carried by my nostalgia.

Back
Top Bottom