• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 is NOT a gaming card - Gamers Nexus DESTROYS the 3090

Permabanned
everyone knows Jay is a car fan car upgrades are expensive.

If you guys think 1500 on a GPU is expensive don't ever get into upgrading cars, you'll be spending a whole lot more for mediocre gains
Ye people tink opc gaming is expensive hobby. One Track day at donnington usuaklly ends with 300-400quid worth of fuel and repairs. For Remap that gave me 11 hp i paid 550 pounds :D Tyres taht dont even last long are for me 800 quid :D

Soldato
You're absolutely right, Game optimisation sucks, but it should still be included as an example. But using the term "most gamers" kinda invalidates your argument as MOST GAMERS will not touch 8k for the foreseeable future ;)

So why include a resolution unobtainable in their marketing materials? As before your ire should be directed towards Nvidia.

Caporegime
I think anyone reading 8K gaming will have the expectation that that is native 8K not pseudo upscaled 8K. So as far as I'm concerned no-one yet has an 8K capable card, only a card capable of displaying an image on an 8K screen. I think we'll be in 2030 before that happens. Anyone want to screenshot that? :D:p

Its the way forward for how Nvidia ia marketing their cards and any performance gain. Watt per watt the 3080 isnt any faster than the 2080ti, its purely in DLSS that it shines and pumping it with the maximum wattage that they can that it is faster.

DLSS 2.1 is being rolled out which is clearly faster than the existing DLSS. Nvidia can't or doesnt want to give us any extra raw performance, its all going to be about improving DLSS performance and for everybody to be gaming at 4k which is upsacaled 1080p.

When you look at the raw grunt ignoring DLSS, this series is actually a worse step up than what the 2000 series was.

Caporegime
Lets's be fair and say to anyone that bought one for gaming, Nice one. I am a tad jelly but my purse strings won't allow it this time else I would have got one. Fair play to those guys who have dug deep and I hope you enjoy it as much as I would.

Associate
OP
You're absolutely right, Game optimisation sucks, but it should still be included as an example. But using the term "most gamers" kinda invalidates your argument as MOST GAMERS will not touch 8k for the foreseeable future ;)

Touché, sir.

I did mean to infer that the benefits of native 8K gaming would transfer to 4K and, possibly somewhat less considering CPU bottlenecking, 1440p. :p

Soldato
Take a moment guys, Jay used to be 500lbs (227kg) 36 Stone and done very well with his weight loss and keeping it off.

Post up some pics of yourselves so we can judge - or show us your youtube channels where you've gone in front of the public earning $500k a year..............
Wow, I thought he used be slim and being putting on weight all this time. Tho he s definitely had some weight on since Feb this year tho.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
the performance just isn't there for me gonna rock my 2080ti for a while longer cba with all the pre orders and bot crap enjoy your new cards chaps..

Same here. Tried for a FE for comedy value and as predicted it went out of stock instantly.

Think I’m just going to wait and see what AMD do and wait for the inevitable 3080Ti, preferably an AIO model.

Associate
OP
the performance just isn't there for me gonna rock my 2080ti for a while longer cba with all the pre orders and bot crap enjoy your new cards chaps..

Have you seen BitWits latest video? He basically just dives into the subculture that has developed over time in the 3080 + 3090 queues (separate queues!) outside Micro Centre...it is bizarre what people go through. Really worth a watch for the hilarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8G5eESqmM

Last edited:
Soldato
In the cold light of day, people are now paying £1,700 for a graphics card...and are happy to do it.

One Thousand...Seven Hundred quid, for a graphics card to game on :eek:

Nvidia have played a blinder.

They know their stuff alright. PC gaming isn't niche anymore - there are a lot of people out there putting big money down on it. One of the reasons is that these products are hyped up to wildly irrational levels. I must admit I used to get caught up in it myself. But just look at the active preorder threads on the forum, it's madness, I can feel the stress just flicking through them. Tbh that Gamers Nexus review is a breath of fresh air amongst a throng of media that struggles to call out the intrinsic value of these products, even for commited gamers.

There is absolutely no need to own the latest gpu on day one, certainly not the way these launches are executed nowadays. And there is also no real need to pay outrageous prices to have an amazing gaming experience. I've learned the hard way over years of gaming on PCs. Whether it's hardware or the latest games, a little patience makes the whole thing far more enjoyable.

Associate
OP
They know their stuff alright. PC gaming isn't niche anymore - there are a lot of people out there putting big money down on it. One of the reasons is that these products are hyped up to wildly irrational levels. I must admit I used to get caught up in it myself. But just look at the active preorder threads on the forum, it's madness, I can feel the stress just flicking through them. Tbh that Gamers Nexus review is a breath of fresh air amongst a throng of media that struggles to call out the intrinsic value of these products, even for commited gamers.

There is absolutely no need to own the latest gpu on day one, certainly not the way these launches are executed nowadays. And there is also no real need to pay outrageous prices to have an amazing gaming experience. I've learned the hard way over years of gaming on PCs. Whether it's hardware or the latest games, a little patience makes the whole thing far more enjoyable.

Absolutely agree. To be honest I think a lot of 3090 buyers would agree. However the lure of the best to some people is irresistible.

Soldato
Not sure what all the issues are with Jay's video, were you all watching the same video?

He clearly said it had a 15% performance uplift and you should only buy it if you must have the absolute best. He only recommended it for compute which is fair. You might not like his delivery style but the message throughout the video was clear and fair. Hardly a fanboy review, yes he rags on AMD GPU's and yet rates AMD CPU's very highly. Lets face it, that's because AMD GPU's pretty rubbish compared to what Nvida has on offer. Especially the Radeon 7 which which he has mentioned a few times in his latest video's on GPUs, that card was DOA. Lets hope big Navi actually pulls something out of the bag, if they do I'm sure he will also review it positivly.

I think Linus overhyped the gaming section but the conclusion at the end of the video is more than fair. He didn't discuss value but he did talk about the price and the price of the 3080, he also didn't say you should run out and buy it and its ultimately for you to make up your own mind on that point.

I think his 8k gaming video was more than fair, he was very clear that Nvidia was telling him what content he could show and what settings he could run the game on and that it didn't apply to all games. MKBHHD on the other hand needs to keep away from gaming, that video was much worse.

I actually thought Steve's video was the worst, spending over 10 mins ranting about 8k marketing was a waste of time, something which was obvious to pretty much anyone with half a brain. I also disagree with his view on DLSS, yes it absolutely has it's limitations but it's a very good technology and is something that the whole industry needs to get behind, it would massively reduce the hardware required for a really high end experience. I get what he had to say and I agree with it. '8k gaming' marketing is utterly stupid and the money thing was funny. However, he should have just said his piece in 2-3 mins and then cracked on with the video, his videos are long enough as it is.

Soldato
If the correlation Jay is pointing out in his latest video between the "quality" of transistors(?) used on the back of the GPU and obtainable clock speeds is correct it'll be interesting to see if cards like the strix have the "more expensive" ones.

The other thread talking about the same already locked... Don’t put people off the buy button. :D

Soldato
Wow, I thought he used be slim and being putting on weight all this time. Tho he s definitely had some weight on since Feb this year tho.

Yeah well I have to admit, I've gained a 'Covid stone' myself and, if I hadn't curbed this WFH allowance of WWYW (work when you want), I'd not only had less hangovers at 9am, but not been close to a 'twinning' the first Covid stone.

Now, where's that can of pess?

Back
Top Bottom