• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Very interesting, mate. Thanks for that. Although we have to admit that it does strongly depend on the game. From their conclusion:

"We also did a test run with the power limit at the 480 W maximum ASUS provides. 480 W is much higher than anything available on any other RTX 3090, so I wondered how much more performance can we get. At 4K resolution, it's another 2%, which isn't that much, but it depends on the game, too. Only games that hit the power limit very early due to their rendering design can benefit from the added power headroom."

Still, if I was going to splurge on a 3090, it does seem worth saving up for the Strix.

The 480w power limit slider on the strix is nuts and definitely for after market cooling applications. After looking at reviews I personally wouldn't move the power slider any further, I may try auto OC and memory OC to see if I can get more with stock power but that it. Id put it under water if I'm going to raise the power limit.

Going by how much gpu boost 5.0 moves with temp changes and what clocks they got with the card set to 480w on stock cooling, it looks like a good loop this card should be able to do a locked 2100 to 2200mhz

Last edited:
Associate
All AMD has to do to win this, is to actually have stock of their new cards on launch day. That should take a huge chunk out of Nvidia, considering 3080s wont be in mass supply till 2021.

Associate
RTX 3080 Crash to Desktop Problems Likely Connected to AIB-Designed Capacitor Choice
https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/...ly-connected-to-aib-designed-capacitor-choice
https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-rea...tabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

"NVIDIA released the compatible driver stack much later than usual for AIB partners; this meant that their actual testing and QA for produced RTX 3080 graphics cards was mostly limited
to power on and voltage stability testing, other than actual gaming/graphics workload testing, which might have allowed for some less-than-stellar chip samples to be employed on some of the companies"

Man of Honour
RTX 3080 Crash to Desktop Problems Likely Connected to AIB-Designed Capacitor Choice
https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/...ly-connected-to-aib-designed-capacitor-choice
https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-rea...tabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

"NVIDIA released the compatible driver stack much later than usual for AIB partners; this meant that their actual testing and QA for produced RTX 3080 graphics cards was mostly limited
to power on and voltage stability testing, other than actual gaming/graphics workload testing, which might have allowed for some less-than-stellar chip samples to be employed on some of the companies"

Interesting - normally even a basic capacitor will massive increase the stability margin in situations like this, often you can even get away without the capacitor there until you are way outside of normal tolerances, so a little surprised but it is perfectly feasible especially on such a packed PCB.

Soldato

Looking at Buildzoids PCB breakdown of MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio I ordered it has one group of the expensive capacitors on the back of the GPU unlike the FE which has two groups. Thats better than some of the other AIBs but still I'm tempted to cancel and wait on further updates to this.

Edit: that's odd. On Buildzoids video it has one array of the expensive capacitors but on Jay's video it has two of the expensive arrays :confused::confused:

The ASUS TUF Gaming OC looks to have 6 of the expensive arrays from TechPowerUp review pics

back.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

Looking at Buildzoids PCB breakdown of MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio I ordered it has one group of the expensive capacitors on the back of the GPU unlike the FE which has two groups. Thats better than some of the other AIBs but still I'm tempted to cancel and wait on further updates to this.

Edit: that's odd. On Buildzoids video it has one array of the expensive capacitors but on Jay's video it has two of the expensive arrays :confused::confused:

Jay's MSI Trio is the 3090 model so that might be the difference being seen between the two videos (literally watching the same video and just got past that part).

Associate

This is building up to be quite the launch alright

Associate

The ASUS TUF Gaming OC looks to have 6 of the expensive arrays from TechPowerUp review pics

back.jpg

Yep, same with their Strix too so it looks like ASUS didn't cheap out on capacitors.

Hopefully...

Associate
Did anyone notice that when the AIB benchmarks started showing again the FE that the AIB cards were not getting the same FPS, a lot of times it was less. I honestly thought there is something not quiet right at the point. I dont know if its related to this cap issue but at that time I pretty much said to myself that the FE is the card to get.

Associate
FFS - what is this insanity? Since when did we have to give a flying xxxx about capacitors for STOCK retail cards? This is all part of a massive con, we’re not discussing overclocking, we’re talking about what’s most likely to be OK.
Put the CCs away, take a breath.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. You know what, after managing to get a pre order of a 3080 last Thursday I cancelled it the other day. Not entirely sure why. Gut feeling maybe?

Anyway, I might give my 1080Ti a clean and a little hug tomorrow to say sorry

Associate
What's interesting with the ASUS TUF in most of the marketing images on retailers web sites show it with six of the cheap capacitors but boards reviewers received and that are shipping have all six areas with the expensive capacitors so "maybe" ASUS found this issue and then decided to use all expensive capacitors and slightly overengineer their cards.

Back
Top Bottom