• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Looks like Asus changed the caps on this model already, maybe even before launch as that photo on C*****s website has been there since before they went on sale.

I've ordered a Gigabyte Gaming OC and that looks to have the cheaper caps but doesn't have the open back so only have Debauers teardown to go off atm.

Will definitely be keeping a close eye on this. Seems like the dedicated thread for this topic has been locked though does anyone know why?
All the reviews show 6 clusters of tiny caps. So I think the TUF and OC is ok.

Associate
As each order payment took a different time to process depending upon payment type/terms their order number doesn't match up to the times that orders were taken.

At that point we can no longer use a difference in order number to determine a place in queue.

Add into that the fact we were still processing payments and cancellations until yesterday (I was helping out but there was still webnotes to clear from days before) an individual order's queue position was changing hourly, therefore an accurate queue position was impossible to convey.

For example there were a ton of American customers who'd ordered not realizing they'd have to pay sales tax. Each one had to contact us and tell us they'd cancel and each one bumped someone else up a place in the queue.

We tried to get through all the queries as quickly as possible. Hopefully someone waiting a day/few days after their order and being able to give them an accurate idea of their order position (after we'd cleared those wanting to cancel and all those whose payments hadn't cleared), is better than giving them an inaccurate queue position.

Hopefully at that point we'd also have more info from Nvidia and the board partners about inventory/etas and be able to provide a more accurate queue position/stock eta.

Sometimes these things take days rather than hours.

I know one of the sales guys answered over 300 webnotes about 3080 orders one day, on top of the normal workload! That's 1.6 webnotes a minute that day, and we were all hands to the pump between us to help out and answer them. There was a couple of days I answered 100 3080 queries and I'm supposed to be managing peripherals and monitors!

That's useful to know, thank you. I think communication like that stops people getting so frustrated because when the updates are just "it's going to be a few days" "it's not ready yet" people just start speculating, which is of course pointless because we don't know anything about what's going on. But that's the problem.

I appreciate that you guys will be swamped and any time spent just typing that is less time actually getting stuff sorted but it at least in theory stops people contacting you directly asking for info and adding to your workload.

Thanks for taking the time to update us, hope you guys actually manage to have a weekend off!

Associate
Just watched JayZTwoCents video on capacitors quality in some 3080's and 3090's and possible reasons for crashes when Boost is going to high, but what was even more interesting was his comment that he thinks 2000 cards were available world wide of 3080 at launch from Nvidia and all partners combined. That means even if OCUK got 100% of the worlds supply, they'd still only covered maybe 25% pre-orders. Looks like 2021 is more and more likely when orders will be fulfilled.

OcUK Staff
As someone who has not called, emailed nor submitted 1 webnote, I'd prefer a rough estimate to guage as a consumer whether OCUK has the ability to fulfil orders going forward or to reconsider my choice of product.

The ability to fulfil the orders depends upon the board partners ability to provide us with enough stock.

We haven't yet had this info to be able to inform our customers about when we'll be be able to fulfill their orders.

Associate
Anyone who bought the Asus Strix cards should cancel the order, the official images show 6 of the cheap MLCC arrays and are continuing to do so, glad I didn't order it.
Don't think that is a wise choice. The TUF has lots of images showing the cheaper ones, but the cards are actually being received with full layout of the better ones. My guess is it will be the same for Strix. Going to wait until reviewers get hands on

OcUK Staff
That's useful to know, thank you. I think communication like that stops people getting so frustrated because when the updates are just "it's going to be a few days" "it's not ready yet" people just start speculating, which is of course pointless because we don't know anything about what's going on. But that's the problem.

I appreciate that you guys will be swamped and any time spent just typing that is less time actually getting stuff sorted but it at least in theory stops people contacting you directly asking for info and adding to your workload.

Thanks for taking the time to update us, hope you guys actually manage to have a weekend off!

No problem.

We want the best for you guys at the end of the day.

I'm going to bed.

NN

Associate
As each order payment took a different time to process depending upon payment type/terms their order number doesn't match up to the times that orders were taken.

At that point we can no longer use a difference in order number to determine a place in queue.

Add into that the fact we were still processing payments and cancellations until yesterday (I was helping out but there was still webnotes to clear from days before) an individual order's queue position was changing hourly, therefore an accurate queue position was impossible to convey.

For example there were a ton of American customers who'd ordered not realizing they'd have to pay sales tax. Each one had to contact us and tell us they'd cancel and each one bumped someone else up a place in the queue.

We tried to get through all the queries as quickly as possible. Hopefully someone waiting a day/few days after their order and being able to give them an accurate idea of their order position (after we'd cleared those wanting to cancel and all those whose payments hadn't cleared), is better than giving them an inaccurate queue position.

Hopefully at that point we'd also have more info from Nvidia and the board partners about inventory/etas and be able to provide a more accurate queue position/stock eta.

I know one of the sales guys answered over 300 webnotes about 3080 orders one day, on top of the normal workload! That's 1.6 webnotes a minute that day, and we were all hands to the pump between us to help out and answer them. There was a couple of days I answered 100 3080 queries and I'm supposed to be managing peripherals and monitors!

Fair enough this does give a bit of insight into the challenges you and the team face.

I understand that order numbers / order times and payment times may add complexities, but once the queue order metric is decided upon, (as you have all of the above data available to you) I’d maybe draw a line in the sand and send info out to customers; “this is your CURRENT queue number for your card, this is subject to change which you can track soon”.

Given cancellations and people switching between cards/queues etc I don’t think it’s ever going to be very stable, but it’s at least something for customers to have sight on as a starting point. Waiting for all queries to be dealt with before sending out a queue number is just going to fetch more uncertainty, anger, queries, cancellations

Associate
The ability to fulfil the orders depends upon the board partners ability to provide us with enough stock.

We haven't yet had this info to be able to inform our customers about when we'll be be able to fulfill their orders.
For everyone waiting this is the answer , there is no stock and nobody has a clue when there will be.

Associate
You are wrong yes... Boost clock doesn’t work like that, most cards quoted much lower than the automatic boost will decide to push things. It’s not really ‘oh the OC is the issue’ it’s the nature of the tech like your Modern CPU which decides there is headroom or not at that time to boost further.

GPU boost can make them misbehave as well, it’s not just oc cards

Thanks gets more confusing the more you look into it, the PCB design might not even be the problem, increasing numbers of FE cards and TUFs reporting similar problems now.....

Associate

Hallelujah, thank you for this information. Super appreciated. This is nearly exactly the stuff we wanted to hear. I appreciate your workload, and I appreciate even more that you took the time to respond and give us clarity on the situation.

Associate
The thing I still don't understand is why 21 of the 27 3080's you have listed are still available for pre-order. Everyone keeps going on about how this was unprecedented, and how there simply wasn't enough supply. Why continue to take orders, and money, for 3080's you know won't be fulfilled any time soon. Surely this just continues to pile onto the existing issue? If you took the order without taking the money up front, I could kind of understand that, but it feels wrong knowing those orders won't be filled and you will be sat on a customers money while they continue to wait. Yes, you are processing refunds where requested, but, I dunno, rubs me up the wrong way I guess.

Associate

Gibbo mentioned on the 23/09/20 that some Asus cards were due in. 24/09 that some TUF cards were due to ship on 24/25.

Even knowing what little you have been able to say has been actioned is a good measure of faith, your late Friday night reply aside - the Asus shipments remain a speculated mystery until Monday 28th - 30th.

Associate
Thanks gets more confusing the more you look into it, the PCB design might not even be the problem, increasing numbers of FE cards and TUFs reporting similar problems now.....

Even if it turns out not to be the problem it begs the question why did Asus change from using POSCAPs to MLCCs on the TUF cards?

Permabanned

Are OCUK letting people swap cards while retaining original order date/time with the result that those who took the time to review before purchase will be waiting longer? There have already been people on here claiming this is the case.

Associate
The thing I still don't understand is why 21 of the 27 3080's you have listed are still available for pre-order. Everyone keeps going on about how this was unprecedented, and how there simply wasn't enough supply. Why continue to take orders, and money, for 3080's you know won't be fulfilled any time soon. Surely this just continues to pile onto the existing issue? If you took the order without taking the money up front, I could kind of understand that, but it feels wrong knowing those orders won't be filled and you will be sat on a customers money while they continue to wait. Yes, you are processing refunds where requested, but, I dunno, rubs me up the wrong way I guess.

I've never understood this viewpoint.

- It locks you in at that price point
- It saves your place in queue
- They are not forcing you to pre-order
- You can get a refund at any point

It's a personal decision for everyone. I'm glad I was able to pre order. Had I not, when stock improves I could be 1000s back or playing refresh lottery every day :/

Associate
Anyone who bought the Asus Strix cards should cancel the order, the official images show 6 of the cheap MLCC arrays and are continuing to do so, glad I didn't order it.

Incorrect, strip down video shows 6 x arrays of MLCC not cheap POSCAPs, you didn't even take the time to learn the difference between MLCC and POSCAPs but spout people should cancel.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDMS54jEFM

Associate
Hallelujah, thank you for this information. Super appreciated. This is nearly exactly the stuff we wanted to hear. I appreciate your workload, and I appreciate even more that you took the time to respond and give us clarity on the situation.

Plus one from me too.. thanks pal. Enjoy your weekend

Associate
one thing ive noticed

OCUK are taking preorders even though they have no stock

Good for business, all that cash coming in, earning interest, securing a high rate of sales

But i dont see anyone else doing this, like scam or Jungle or other competitors, they simply have removed the preorder and buy button

No wonder OCUK have a backlog of 7000 30 series cards

Also why is OCUK not offering a free game with their 3080s? i cant remember seeing this on my preorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom