Changing engine oil - pump it out, or let it drain?

Soldato
Personally I'd be doing from the sump. If the oil filter is doing its job there shouldn't be too much rubbish at the bottom of the sump though. I wouldn't do it in a gearbox or diff that doesn't have a filter. Recent gearbox oil change on a car with 30k miles below.

20200721-144353.jpg

Caporegime
Cars without real dip sticks are the biggest scam in automotive history - fantastic for BMW and the likes to get money from punters however. I wouldn't touch a car with an 'e' dipstick

Why is it a scam ? It checks the oil constantly when you drive and alerts when a top up is needed rather than relying on owners to have to lift bonnet and check

Associate
Has anyone considered using the pump to drain the fuel tank incase there's any gunge in there?

erm on the instructions for mine that came from ebay ,(looks the same ) it states not to be used for flammable liquids ie. petrol/diesel as i think the pump lubricates from the fluids and can get warm i know mine states a max time to run it .

Associate
Personally I'd be doing from the sump. If the oil filter is doing its job there shouldn't be too much rubbish at the bottom of the sump though. I wouldn't do it in a gearbox or diff that doesn't have a filter. Recent gearbox oil change on a car with 30k miles below.

that doesn't look to healthy for 30k miles...

Associate
erm on the instructions for mine that came from ebay ,(looks the same ) it states not to be used for flammable liquids ie. petrol/diesel as i think the pump lubricates from the fluids and can get warm i know mine states a max time to run it .

don't do that, apart from the risk of putting the vehicle on fire you have a high chance of introducing oils or other gunk into the fuel tank thereby making it even worse

Associate
Why is it a scam ? It checks the oil constantly when you drive and alerts when a top up is needed rather than relying on owners to have to lift bonnet and check

its 5hiiiite, it has sensors - they break .. you await notifications that don't arrive and/or give erratic readings, your engine breaks.. you complain to BMW or whoever and they laugh at you - you end up buying another car an e dipstick....

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole and many manufacturers reverted back to the normal method. Oil should be checked weekly - its a simply job get your car on level ground and pull the dipstick but it seems that is too hard for people to do nowadays

Back
Top Bottom