• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No, ATI/AMD's driver problems up to the release of the Tahiti cards were real. They improved a hell of lot after that. From then until the release of RDNA 1 cards Both companies were basically the same with regards to driver issues. But AMD's black screen issues with the first generation Navi was a step back.

Hopefully they don't repeat this with RDNA2.

Yes and I've had it with Nvidia too but for some reason people have collective amnesia whenever that happens.

My point really is that DLSS is a bullet point on a feature list that AMD can never meet, but they can possibly meet the performance it achieves, or they may have a similar feature that does achieve the same. It would never be called DLSS however, and "I want DLSS on my GPU" isn't a very effective target, but "I want 60Hz at native 4K" is - how they achieve that doesn't matter as long as the fidelity is there, right?

Yeah its marketing spin there are what, 4 games that support it? Thats an appallingly low figure and those are basically sponsored by Nvidia to showcase the tech, there really isn't any incentive for game devs to support it because at the end of the day is it worth it? Would it significantly increase the sellability of the game? Likely not. Like SLI theres nothing in for the devs unless they're paid to do it.

But people think "oh Nvidia has DLSS!" so they buy those instead. Its vaporware but Nvidia know what they're doing its that little extra nudge that push people in their direction. If people seriously think there will be mass uptake well good luck to you but it adds to mindshare and Nvidia are masters at that.

Associate
And thats the point, once you become habituated to something you avoid anything else even when the only difference is simply taste and you continue paying twice the price :p

I always buy the cheap colas and save a fortune they don't taste the same but after a short time you adjust and you don't notice the difference anymore. Brand habituation is everything.

Oh I agree, I don't have any brand loyalty to the large majority of things but I'm particularly fussy over Ketchup :D. I just prefer the Heinz!

Soldato
From the various reports now of the 3080 crashing saga, you could say they have been stitched up like a kipper!

When I saw the tear down by GN, I couldn't get over the power circuitry on the back of the pcb. I was literally thinking to myself **** that's a lot of noise cancellation and smoothing being used there, in combination with the power requirements and the Samsung Node It reminds of the Mk1 Polaris which had the same issue with the initial 1st go with the 14nm process.
The power requirement and clock scaling was terrible,

Sure enough it seems that Nvidia are right on the edge this time around.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
When I saw the tear down by GN, I couldn't get over the power circuitry on the back of the pcb. I was literally thinking to myself **** that's a lot of noise cancellation and smoothing being used there

Its madness to think but makes sense due to the rushing - a few bad calls on the components and now its nosediving hard. I mean genuinely I can see people now RMA'ing loads of them or if they have not been shipped a chunk cancelled before delivery.

Soldato
You made that decision though when you bought the gsync monitors. Nvidia4life!( or until those monitors need replacing):D
I'll just do without Gsync until there is a monitor worth upgrading to. If AMD have a superior product I will not let vendor lock-in stop me from getting it.

Associate
Or they are brand locked.

I use two screens for gaming, they both don't support Freesync and only support Gsync

Switching to AMD would cost me a hell of a lot more because I'd have to buy two new screens

It is very annoying indeed, I'm pretty screwed either way:
  • X34P as my PC monitor, GSync only
  • Samsung Q80R in the living room, Freesync only despite having HDMI Forum VRR.
I play most of my single player games on the TV so the smart money is on AMD, but without a crytal ball whatever decision is likely to be wrong :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Some rumors:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/izyqeu/rdna_2_new_rumors_salt/

Translation: https://twitter.com/julesqinkai/status/1309706626803412992

Basically the second highest SKU was slightly faster than a 3080. The top SKU touched the 3090.

I've always opted for the low to mid-range cards when getting a new card but this time, I'm seriously considering getting a higher tier card.
Looking at the 3080 ongoing issues, I'll be likely to stick with AMD again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom