• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 - Will I void my warranty if I replace retail cooler with a Waterblock?

Associate
I was about to order a 3090 and was curious to know if anyone has concerns about voiding warranty if the retail cooler is replaced with a waterblock?

If the first batch of cards happens to have 'issues' you certainly don't want to be stuck with a dodgy card and a voided warranty just becaue you installed a waterblock...

Thoughts?

Associate
My thought would be - test your card for at least a couple of months before putting it on water.

This is very good advice, I did this with my 2080TI when there were complaints about the memory chips failing in case it needed to be recalled. I knew nvidia wouldn't like me removing the cooler off. Yeah it's a pain having to redo your loop twice, but for the peace of mind is worth running it on air for a bit until the dust settles in my opinion.

Associate
OP
I was actually in this very predicament 2 years ago after I bought a dodgy 2080 Ti FE directly from Nvidia. I had already fitted the waterblock when the card started to fail. I had to RMA and was sweating buckets that they would reject it.
I said nothing about the Waterblock and all turned out fine in the end.

Well for better or worse I just ordered the ASUS 3090 OC card and pulled the trigger on the EK WB and backplate.

Its good advice, I'll run it on air for a while to make sure there are no problems.

Question though... Surely EK couldn't design a waterblock without the explicit approval / involvement of ASUS as ASUS would have to send them a CAD drawing or similar of their card layout right?

Associate
Generally, doing anything to a product that isn't 'as designed' at the point of purchase / as marketed, invalidates the warranty.

Not often the case for waterblocks. Most manufacturers say it's fine, so long as if there is an issue, you must return the card with the air cooler as it was purchased. Any damage to the card is on you.

I was actually in this very predicament 2 years ago after I bought a dodgy 2080 Ti FE directly from Nvidia. I had already fitted the waterblock when the card started to fail. I had to RMA and was sweating buckets that they would reject it.

Well for better or worse I just ordered the ASUS 3090 OC card and pulled the trigger on the EK WB and backplate.

Its good advice, I'll run it on air for a while to make sure there are no problems.

Question though... Surely EK couldn't design a waterblock without the explicit approval / involvement of ASUS as ASUS would have to send them a CAD drawing or similar of their card layout right?

Sometimes they get given early samples, or prototypes to work with. But quite often they have to buy/borrow the cards themselves. Sometimes you can send your own card in, receive a free waterblock in exchange for their development. I know Alphacool are doing that for anyone who has 3080 / 3090s that might be an option.

Soldato

If it’s the strix specified waterblock then yes it will be fine.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...-rgb-water-block-nickel-acetal-wc-a1a-ek.html

The warranty then usually as long as the card is in factory condition they will honour it. Best bet is make sure you keep EVERYTHING and make sure you use the right screw driver bits and don’t round of the screws. Keep all the thermal pads etc.

If one screw has a sticker on then you can usually slice it off very carefully with a sheet of A4 and fit it back if required later.

Asus is a bit dodgy about cooler removal but if you can get it apart without making it look like it has they I can’t see how they would notice as long as you don’t physically damage the card.

Associate
If one screw has a sticker on then you can usually slice it off very carefully with a sheet of A4 and fit it back if required later.

Bit of heat (hair dryer or heat gun, not too hot, just need to get that adhesive a little bit warm) and something like an xacto blade should let you get off that little sticker; put it on a bit of sticker paper (such as from double sided tape, or perhaps the plastic off your thermal pads may do) and you can put it back later.

And yes, definitely use the right size screw driver bits to not damage the screws.

Soldato
You can’t get water blocks yet so why even bother.

And of course your warranty is void if you tell them that you put the damn thing under water block and over volted like a crazy person and did a video of it and out it on YouTube for the world to see. But if you did it and told no one about it and was care not to scratch those “warranty void if removed” sticker and stuck your air cooler back when returning to base then your warranty is intact.

however if you have a water leak and it is clear the card is damaged by water your warranty is not covered.

Back
Top Bottom