US: Raised by Wolves (HBO) - By Ridley Scott

D3K

D3K

Soldato
God, why does everything have to be so bloody action action action action... No wonder everything is getting dumbed down for the idiot masses.

I am quite enjoying it.

Action films are like graphics..... Action does not make a good film.
What action? The show is pedestrian.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Gave the 2nd half of episode 5 a chance and actually enjoyed it. Mainly due to the exposition. Still don't like where it's going in general but will try ep6

Associate
Its a fantastic series that asks questions on AI and humanity. The necromancer tech would be ideal instruments of war and again Ridley Scott touches upon themes explored in blade runner.

Soldato
I get the eyes thing but are they supposed to have mini nuclear reactors in them or what, weren't there multiple days where she moaned about using too much energy and needing to rest before she ever went pyscho?

While we don't fully see what I expect happened, we do see her tearing a reactor out of Father. The fact she reactivates him at a later date once she has the reactor of the enemy android indicates that she was using his reactor for herself. Either as a replacement to her own failing source or as a secondary reactor, it's possible with her being a higher end model she needed two to function optimally and her issues were related to her only using one. There's also the possibility that her initial war related programming was starting to break through as it seems she was either repurposed or created with hidden features intentionally.

I've watched the first two episodes and I'm enjoying it so far, it's nothing particularly new but I'm still interested to see where it goes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to give it a go - 1 episode in and really enjoyed it! Loads happening, so don't know where the slow paced comment came from.

A bit concerned with the religious angle though, heaven, clerics, atheists vs religion war. If it turns into a propaganda/SJW/woke show, then it's getting binned.

Also, is this set in the Alien universe?

We have androids ie Ash/Bishop with the milk type blood and the planet is called Kepler-22B ie LV-426. Just a thought.

Soldato
Decided to give it a go - 1 episode in and really enjoyed it! Loads happening, so don't know where the slow paced comment came from.

A bit concerned with the religious angle though, heaven, clerics, atheists vs religion war. If it turns into a propaganda/SJW/woke show, then it's getting binned.

Also, is this set in the Alien universe?

We have androids ie Ash/Bishop with the milk type blood and the planet is called Kepler-22B ie LV-426. Just a thought.

It seems like its just a diff universe where there was some kind of religious empire that embraced science aswell.

Its not really about religion necessarily but in the following episodes it builds on it all more. There may be an element of fantasy to the scifi but we will see, Its deffo not woke or anything like that in any fashion.

Soldato
LV-426 is not Kepler-22b. LV-426 is in the Zeta Reticuli system whereas, unsurprisingly, Kepler-22b orbits Kepler-22. The two stars are about 200pc (~650ly) apart.

I wasn't saying they were the same planet, i was referring to the naming convention and that it is very similar.

Not the usual Sci-Fi planet name ie Vulcan, Tatooine etc.

Soldato
Up to Ep 6 now.

Not enjoying it as much the first couple of episodes.

No idea what is going on with the sky 'illusions', killing hot rocks and voices in peoples heads. Also getting a bit preachy and **** me, there's no escape from Vegans.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I wasn't saying they were the same planet, i was referring to the naming convention and that it is very similar.

Not the usual Sci-Fi planet name ie Vulcan, Tatooine etc.
LV-426 was made up, based on the scientific-style of nomenclature. Kepler-22b is real. Orbital bodies usually take their names from the star to aid in understanding. Makes no sense to give planets of distant stars special names when there are so many to deal with, the vast majority of which are useless to us.

Caporegime
Starting to feel that a great 5 part show has been drawn out for 10 just to fill runtime.

Sentient planet, god is real, aliens only head or elaborate simulation. I'm not really too bothered I just want it to come to a conclusion.

What happened to iron mask rapey sol in my head guy....

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Started on a high note for me, unusual retrograde sci fi, seeded many mysteries and possible plot turning points along the way, but ultimately drifted into direction that's bizarre and uninteresting for me. I'll obviously see the story to the end, but it's a pity that there were so many interesting directions and items planted by the writers in each episode that were worth exploring and it would be so much more interesting than the ultimate story line they elected for season culmination, especially that it's delivered with the weakest of plot devices "how is this happening Mother?" "it's beyond my understanding"...

Also Travis Fimmel. What happened to that guy, he seems to be playing the same half drunk half brain damaged Ragnar Lofbrook character in everything he's in since 2014.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Well hopefully not for much longer!

Just watched the recent episode as been behind lately. There are a few interesting backstory bits coming out too and a comic reveals even more but I have not read that yet.

Soldato
I've been watching this. It did start on a high note and has gone downhill, but not so much so that it's worse than anything else really.

What annoyed me is the colour grading. It's very dull and de-saturated. Kind of the opposite of something like Dune, and how I expect the planet to look like a bit more. That makes it more difficult to watch for me.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
It's picked up a little in the last episode and a half to the point where I'm actually interested in the finale now, assuming ep10 is the last.

But getting there has been a chore at times. At least 3 of the episodes I've had to watch in 2/3 sittings because it was so dull.

Back
Top Bottom