Mafia Trilogy Remaster

Soldato
I treat the game like a little trip down memory lane, obviously it's not going to be anything special by today's standards.

The world is amazing but empty, just like before. Not really different from Mafia 2. They could've expanded it but they didn't. The entire focus is on the story and the city is just a very atmospheric backdrop, a bit of a missed opportunity. They said there would be new side missions but AFAIK, there aren't.

The game does indeed feel wooden at times, the animations ate pretty bad, the shootouts aren't much better. One might even argue it's not worth the money for the content. Even though I haven't paid full price, it still cost me more than some other games that are much richer in this regard.

Still, I just wanted to reexperience one of my favourite games with better graphics and I think I'll get my money's worth just driving around the city and completing the story again.

Still, I just wanted to reexperience one of my favourite games with better graphics and I think I'll get my money's worth just driving around the city and completing the story again
Is my feeling too.

It's odd as the empty city feels more pointless now than in the original, especially when they force you to take certain routes. Before I knew the city so well I'd have my own back alleys and short cuts and ways to lose cops, but it doesn't quite work the same way now.

Seems to be far less traffic lights than I remember.

Soldato
OP
They've made a few particularly difficult turns easier now: The main sharp bend on the central island on the route from the 'Little Italy - Central Island Tunnel' and 'Central Island - Eastern Island' bridge which was like a 50 degree bend is has now been made a lot easier by a big service road so its more like 2x 100 degree bends. This bend used to be key in your escapades as you lost a lot of speed there and the cars take an age to get back up to speed

The back alley run to the race track by a factory and then down a narrow, bumpy alley has been made a lot easier too - you no longer have to aim for a narrow gap to make it into the alley, its a wide open courtyard

Associate
I've switched from keyboard/mouse to playing this with a controller on my sofa and using the big screen, my impression is that its more story driven than open world so will just sit back, relax, and let the story unfold

Soldato
I think I need to play original to see if this De is right, loud music during sit down with cop drinking coffee, and the thugs who chase you chatting outside the bar, I seem to remember them going inside in the original.

Also, how do I bind sprint to a button on the controller rather than having to hold down the left stick, I looked in options but could only see keyboard rebinding O_o

Associate
I think I need to play original to see if this De is right, loud music during sit down with cop drinking coffee, and the thugs who chase you chatting outside the bar, I seem to remember them going inside in the original.

Also, how do I bind sprint to a button on the controller rather than having to hold down the left stick, I looked in options but could only see keyboard rebinding O_o
You don’t have to hold it in just press the left stick once

How annoying, why cant games just copy GTA controls, it just works :S
Id prefer to click once and leave it. I get bad thumb pains from pushing too much so this way actually works better for me.

They've made a few particularly difficult turns easier now: The main sharp bend on the central island on the route from the 'Little Italy - Central Island Tunnel' and 'Central Island - Eastern Island' bridge which was like a 50 degree bend is has now been made a lot easier by a big service road so its more like 2x 100 degree bends. This bend used to be key in your escapades as you lost a lot of speed there and the cars take an age to get back up to speed
Yeah I noticed this too. I still go the original route, partly out of stubbornness but also as I liked it when you get faster cars to throw them round that corner at speed when being chased.

Soldato
Id prefer to click once and leave it. I get bad thumb pains from pushing too much so this way actually works better for me.

Yeah I noticed this too. I still go the original route, partly out of stubbornness but also as I liked it when you get faster cars to throw them round that corner at speed when being chased.
Moving and direction with left stick and clicking it down just feels weird, too much going on on one stick :s

Soldato
This is a no-buy because of below. HDR is a BIG deal so they better patch this in. PC gamers getting screwed again.

2. Mafia Definitive Edition doesn’t support HDR on PC
Many players were reported that they were disappointed to see that Mafia: Definitive Edition lacked a High-Dynamic Range option despite it being a feature heavily marketed in the promotional material.
This sucks. Going to wait until there's a patch before I go in for it then I guess.

Soldato
OP
I did a comparison of places that haven't been removed between OG Mafia and New Mafia. Both were run at 1280*1024. Both can do 16:9 but I didn't want a super wide image!

Hoboken Station - facing east on both photos

Pyrvmt7.png

Church Front

u0jP4Zs.png

Church Side

iJCPo4K.png

That shortcut near Old Salieri Bar:

MFychA3.png

Salieri's Bar

GYoAJPO.png

Construction between Downtown and Hoboken

ffYwaXL.png

Petrol Station near Oak Hill on the way to Hoboken

LeGJyB0.png

Downtown, outside the (old) Corleone Hotel

esuwDWm.png

Salieri Garage

1R0dATa.png

Diner at the far corner of the map

B4fzZML.png

Not sure what the artifacting is all about on the old game, looks fine when I play it!

Soldato
Why did they drop the suits for the chars, Paulie in gray, sam with the bowtie, I really hate the new chars, their clothes are samey, and their voices suck.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Well I’m enjoying it so far.

Agreed that the map seems a bit barren compared to a GTA game but it means I’m less likely to detract from the storyline.

So far so good. :D

Caporegime
I did a comparison of places that haven't been removed between OG Mafia and New Mafia. Both were run at 1280*1024. Both can do 16:9 but I didn't want a super wide image!

Hoboken Station - facing east on both photos

Pyrvmt7.png

Church Front

u0jP4Zs.png

Church Side

iJCPo4K.png

That shortcut near Old Salieri Bar:

MFychA3.png

Salieri's Bar

GYoAJPO.png

Construction between Downtown and Hoboken

ffYwaXL.png

Petrol Station near Oak Hill on the way to Hoboken

LeGJyB0.png

Downtown, outside the (old) Corleone Hotel

esuwDWm.png

Salieri Garage

1R0dATa.png

Diner at the far corner of the map

B4fzZML.png

Not sure what the artifacting is all about on the old game, looks fine when I play it!

Awesome I never played the original even though I own it, thanks for doing that very interesting! :)

Permabanned
never playd mafia before but it looks like a game with a decent following and story. Worth buying? Generally dont pay full price for games but struggling to chill out with something lately

never playd mafia before but it looks like a game with a decent following and story. Worth buying? Generally dont pay full price for games but struggling to chill out with something lately

It's definitely a good story, and so far the changes to the story have for the most part only improved the story by trying to make some events make more sense, for instance when Tommy is being chased by morellos men, in the original they go inside and get killed, which was silly as they'd not go into a rivals bar like that, so they changed bits like that.

The world is as always empty, and now it feels even more empty than before. I'm not a fan of the improvements they've made to cars and driving. I much prefer the very slow, almost stalling going up a steep hill cars, and the way you started with rubbish and had no choice but rubbish cars as you don't know how to break into anything better.

I'm not a fan of the forced ways to achieve missions that had other ways to complete them. It's minimal so far, but very annoying when it happens.

Id definitely suggest purchasing it, and for approx £30 it's not bad a price. Is that full price these days? I was expecting £50, so was happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom