FN2 Type R , MK5 GTI, Fiesta ST3 MK7.5 - Which?

Associate
Don't suggest any other car, i've narrowed it down this far. i currently have an ep3, selling it. want another car, need peoples opinions on the 3. i will be driving all 3 but i would like to know peoples experiences with these cars over time, the fiesta st i would be buying is around 80k miles, not sure if that means anything, whereas the honda and gti would be 90-110k miles.

Associate
Had an fn2 and loved the thing. Great reliability/practicality/drive/looks (in my opinion). I can't help but feel it will be pretty similar compared to your ep3 though. One major negative is that I had less interest in it when selling it than I had in a bright orange Nissan Micra. Ended up losing a lot on it over 6 months of owning it.

I'd also be wary of the engine in the Mk5 golf because my Octavia vrs had constant engine issues (same engine).

I'd probably go down the fiesta route if I was in your shoes.

Associate
OP
only reason im selling the ep3 is because of rust, just getting it fixed and moving on rather than having more issues down the line, i do love vtec and would love to modify the fn2 tbh but, just curious

Soldato
FN2 type r - I am biased because I wish i never sold mine.

second choice would be fiesta, more tech inside but i found it felt a little cramped and didn't have the fun factor when I was looking at changing from my FN2

im now in a focus which is lovely but I am always tempted to chop it in and get another FN2 and spend some pennies on it.

Man of Honour
Don't suggest any other car, i've narrowed it down this far. i currently have an ep3, selling it. want another car, need peoples opinions on the 3. i will be driving all 3 but i would like to know peoples experiences with these cars over time, the fiesta st i would be buying is around 80k miles, not sure if that means anything, whereas the honda and gti would be 90-110k miles.
Coming from the EP3 you will likely find the FN2 very similar other than the significantly better interior. A lot of noise is made about the FN2 being bigger and heavier, but in reality over most driving conditions there isn't very much in it.

Can't comment on the others, but I've been quite happy with my FN2.

Man of Honour
Although the Fiesta is a bit more modern looking than the Golf it is noticeably smaller inside and a harder ride (I had a Golf MK5 GTI for about 5 years and test drove the MK7.5 as a replacement but went for a Golf MK7 GT instead).

Soldato
The Fiesta ST is much more fun to drive than the Golf.

Don't know about the FN2 Type-R. But even as a passenger I could feel the understeer from it :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think people who overlook the mileage thing are just a bit weird. why would i spend an extra 5k for less miles when i plan on driving it as much as i can, when i can buy one with higher miles, good service, work carried out when needed & i haven't lost as much when i come to sell it? Finance isn't an option either. Debts a **** hole that i never wanna be in.

Caporegime
I think people who overlook the mileage thing are just a bit weird. why would i spend an extra 5k for less miles when i plan on driving it as much as i can, when i can buy one with higher miles, good service, work carried out when needed & i haven't lost as much when i come to sell it? Finance isn't an option either. Debts a **** hole that i never wanna be in.

Because everything is likely to be more worn and feel looser.

Unless you're going to install new suspension, top mounts etc then for a hot hatch I suspect one with 50k miles will feel tighter than a leggy one with 100k miles on it...

Caporegime

Because cars with a higher mileage are going to be more worn and tired than a car with fewer miles unless they've had complete component refreshes. They're more likely to have failures. Increased maintenance costs. More likely to be sold with ongoing issues.

Soldato
Haven't driven much of the Civic, other than on a test drive when I was considering one. It was ok, but granted that probably wasn't the best example. Haven't driven the Fiesta either as figured it was always going to be too small for me.

I did have a Golf GTI Edition 30 though, and I found it excellent. One of the few cars I have owned were I would buy another. I thought it handled well, and stopped well (after a couple upgrades, H&R Springs and S3 brakes). And even though mine wasn't mapped, it went well too. Mine was RR'd at 240 BHP. Although it did have a turbo back stainless and some fancy induction kit. But it was a nice driving car, with enough power really to be fun on the twisties too. I'd guess a standard GTI would be similar, especially once remapped, although I would only personally look for ED30 if it were me.

I'm not sure why you have restricted your choice so much here though. There are similar cars, at similar budgets, which can be similar fun. I've been having a hoot with my Clio 197 for example. It holds the road way better than any golf I've ever owned. I'd Imagine the equivalent Renaultsport Megane for your budget would be similar levels of fun. I always thought I'd stay away from French cars after having a few earlier in my driving career, but my word, they can put together a fun hot hatch.

Back
Top Bottom