• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Associate
cant believe how many here have nvidia goggles on

A good die with low leakage will boost higher and hit said speed and crash due to the bad cap's even at stock speeds due to boost
hence some oem's lowering speeds to lower than spec to avoid it rather than fixing the card
tut tut

im sure they will be forced to swap them out now though

Associate
Il definitely return my gigabyte 3080 if it starts playing up because of this, hopefully they will release a statement soon to clear it up or figure out a fix.

maybe there is variation in the quality of the parts different board partners use or whether nvidia make them all use the same ones. Will see how it goes anyway with so OC testing.

Soldato
Il definitely return my gigabyte 3080 if it starts playing up because of this, hopefully they will release a statement soon to clear it up or figure out a fix.

maybe there is variation in the quality of the parts different board partners use or whether nvidia make them all use the same ones. Will see how it goes anyway with so OC testing.

That is the problem and it has been for years. This isn't the first time people have had Nvidia cards crash when on boost clocks. It's just that this time it's effecting entire stock. There is no way to fix it with software other than downclocking the cards until they are stable.

Associate
The threads about the cheap caps are shutting down quicker than the cards with cheap caps.

Wonder how long this one will last.

Where? They better not be...otherwise it's time for the Streisand effect. This NEVER EVER works, whenever people silence free flow of information on the net, the censorship itself always makes it a bigger controversy as now it's being covered up. I seriously hope this is not happening here.

Associate
Even if you do get a faulty card the good news is this is something that will be fixed quickly and any faulty cards replaced.
how quickly do you think faulty cards are going to be replaced with the current supply issues?

Dear Customer, we are able to confirm a warranty replacement and wish to assure you were are doing everything possible to send you a replacement card as soon as possible. We would like to thank you for your patience....
ETA : Q2 2021

Soldato
Where? They better not be...otherwise it's time for the Streisand effect. This NEVER EVER works, whenever people silence free flow of information on the net, the censorship itself always makes it a bigger controversy as now it's being covered up. I seriously hope this is not happening here.

Where?

Look on down the graphics forum page for the locked icon and then see that there are at least two that have been shutdown.

Associate

I'm thinking the same, my last card (EVGA FTW 1080) only OC'd by 50MHz before it started crashing anyway and that was supposed to be a good overclocker. If the Gigabyte goes above that I'll be happy enough. Would be nice to hear Gigabyte acknowledge it and make a hardware change like EVGA and ASUS have though. Funny now i'm finding myself hoping i'm not to low in the que :rolleyes:.

Soldato
I can confirm GIGABYTE have cheaped out on their GIGABYTE 3080 EAGLE OC with 6 cheap ass capacitors..
I didn't need to take the card apart to do this you can clearly see them down the gap of the back plate and pcb..

Last edited:
Associate
I can confirm GIGABYTE have cheaped out on their GIGABYTE 3080 EAGLE OC with 6 cheap ass capacitors.. I didn't need to take the card apart to do this you can clearly see them down the gap of the back plate and pcb..

I just cancelled my order with scan because of this.
I'm 1000 in the queue for the rog strix OC with overclockers.i"m just gonna wait it out tbh.
The rog strix there is only 300 in the queue, but that's only £30 less than the oc version.

Soldato
That's if there is an actual fault like HW unboxed is saying there are reports of all cards crashing no matter what cap config is used. Could well just be down to drivers which is not unheard of but would be ironic what with all the issues with AMD drivers and people going with nvidia as it was considered a safe option.

Soldato
how quickly do you think faulty cards are going to be replaced with the current supply issues?

Dear Customer, we are able to confirm a warranty replacement and wish to assure you were are doing everything possible to send you a replacement card as soon as possible. We would like to thank you for your patience....
ETA : Q2 2021

easy, open msi afterburner and lower the boost clock

Back
Top Bottom