Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
@danlightbulb It looks great imo. I think from that shot it’s clearly still a bit softer, less punchy and you can see the link compression crushing some of that contrast detail - for example you almost lose the edge of the grey panel above the numbers.

That said for the money you really can’t complain there, the screen door effect (or rather lack of!) seems very close and significantly better than the index. You can only just make it out by looking really closely at the numbers on the Q2.

He mentioned it was a sneak peek of an upcoming proper G2 vs Quest 2 comparison video so that will be really interesting to watch. I particularly want to know his opinion on how the experience as a whole compares taking everything into account.

I’m definitely leaning more towards picking up the Quest 2 to go along with the G2 now. Before Q2 was known I had originally planned to keep my original Quest and the G2 as I think they compliment each other nicely, my concern was that the G2 would “ruin” the Quest for me because the difference would be so stark. This really closes down the gap significantly and I think switching between the 2 won’t be jarring at all.

For me I think the G2 will be the flight sim/racing sim headset and the Q2 I imagine I’ll use on WiFi link for pretty much everything else as long as it isn’t significantly latency dependant.

Exciting times that such a level of image quality can be had in a VR headset for 300 squids.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think I'll be paying a visit soon to the networking section of the forum to get recomendations for the most reasonably priced wifi 6 routers. Just waiting for the updates to use it properly to be in palce.

Soldato
The other option would be a wifi 6 hotspot direct from your pc, eg if you have a wifi 6 enabled motherboard.

Nah, if I'm using wifi, I'm not near my PC, PC is wired to my vodafone router/modem (cat 5e, but should be more than enough right).

I presume I'd need to set the Vodafone to modem only, then use the Honor router as the router?

Soldato
Yes if youre replacing your main wifi with a 3rd party one you set the original one to modem only mode and ethernet it to the new router.

If you buy a wifi 6 router does it also support older 5GhZ and 2.4 GHz devices?

Soldato
Yes if youre replacing your main wifi with a 3rd party one you set the original one to modem only mode and ethernet it to the new router.

If you buy a wifi 6 router does it also support older 5GhZ and 2.4 GHz devices?

The quick read I did said it supported them. Said you could set which devices use the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz too. I'd probably set everything but the quest to 2.4ghz. Quet to 5ghz.

Soldato
Nah, if I'm using wifi, I'm not near my PC, PC is wired to my vodafone router/modem (cat 5e, but should be more than enough right).

I presume I'd need to set the Vodafone to modem only, then use the Honor router as the router?

It may be less of an issue with WiFi 6 due to how the protocol works, but in theory you are best using the router as a dedicated access point just for the WiFi streaming and keeping it close to the Quest. That way you aren’t fighting any other devices on the network.

So ideally you would keep your normal WiFi network, connect the new router to your PC via Ethernet with the router as close to your play area as possible, and set it to work as a bridge on a different network SSID to your normal network.

Soldato
It may be less of an issue with WiFi 6 due to how the protocol works, but in theory you are best using the router as a dedicated access point just for the WiFi streaming and keeping it close to the Quest. That way you aren’t fighting any other devices on the network.

So ideally you would keep your normal WiFi network, connect the new router to your PC via Ethernet with the router as close to your play area as possible, and set it to work as a bridge on a different network SSID to your normal network.

Hmm. Currently I have a wire going through the wall to my modem. Guess I could unplug the pc from the modem, and plug it into the router instead? And literally just have the router doing a direct link to the PC and nothing else? So not use the wifi 6 router for the internet at all?

Soldato
Do you have 2 Ethernet ports on the PC?

If not you could always add a cheap Ethernet pci card to give an additional port and avoid having to swap.

The main concern for me would be distance above all else - 5.4ghz performance drops off pretty rapidly with distance/obstacles so to get the best you really need to be close and unobstructed.

Soldato
Do you have 2 Ethernet ports on the PC?

If not you could always add a cheap Ethernet pci card to give an additional port and avoid having to swap.

The main concern for me would be distance above all else - 5.4ghz performance drops off pretty rapidly with distance/obstacles so to get the best you really need to be close and unobstructed.

I have 2 on the PC, but the PC is in a garden office, and I'm not drilling another hole into the masonry to route another cable through :D.

Guess I'll see how the basic modem handles it first, in truth I don't know how much pcvr I'll really be doing anyway.

Soldato
Ah ok, just connect the new router to the existing router by Ethernet and set to bridge with a separate SSID and locate it as close to the play room as possible.

Virtual desktop will show you your latency and your video rate, so you can always experiment.

Soldato
Ah ok, just connect the new router to the existing router by Ethernet and set to bridge with a separate SSID and locate it as close to the play room as possible.

Virtual desktop will show you your latency and your video rate, so you can always experiment.

Oooh, if Virtual Desktop can show me that then I can absolutely play around with it, good to know. Going to be awkward if it's better than the link cable though, since if I'm playing any sims etc, I'd still be sat at my desk, which would mean link cable is a possibility. Lots of fun and games to experiment with I guess.

Soldato
Well oddly enough in my case compared to the current link on the quest I would actually give the visual nod to virtual desktop... despite being lower bitrate it appears sharper and contrast is less washed out. More latency though, but for many games still low enough not to matter too much.

Godin seemed excited about the prospects of the XR2 and wifi6, and as far as I can tell he never sleeps so I expect he’ll roll out improvements for quest 2 before the official link does.

Last edited:
Associate
Any sign of game sizes increases significantly on the Quest 2 compared to the 1? Not sure to get 64gb or 256gb.
Only planning on having games and probably no movies stored on it. Aim is to mostly be used for PCVR.

Soldato
OP
Any sign of game sizes increases significantly on the Quest 2 compared to the 1? Not sure to get 64gb or 256gb.
Only planning on having games and probably no movies stored on it. Aim is to mostly be used for PCVR.

11gb is taken up by the OS, so you only have 53gb free, but that's plenty for most games.

There are a few games with installs of several gb, but not many, though I imagine that will increase over time.

If you're not planning to put movies on it and use mainly for PCVR then I'd say 64gb is enough. I went for the 256gb mainly because I plan on putting movies on it, and with the hi-res screen I can now put higher quality encodes on there, which will take up large amounts of space.

Soldato
Well oddly enough in my case compared to the current link on the quest I would actually give the visual nod to virtual desktop... despite being lower bitrate it appears sharper and contrast is less washed out. More latency though, but for many games still low enough not to matter too much.

Godin seemed excited about the prospects of the XR2 and wifi6, and as far as I can tell he never sleeps so I expect he’ll roll out improvements for quest 2 before the official link does.

I'm quite sensitive to input lag, I can't even stomach using my TV as a monitor because it has 30ms input lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom