Stupid question alert... Fast charge phone cable

Soldato
Hi. I've never had a fast charging phone before, its also a type C that I do not have any spare cables for. Will any old type C cable be ok with fast charging or is it best to pay a bit more and get a 'known' brand?

Soldato
Hi. I've never had a fast charging phone before, its also a type C that I do not have any spare cables for. Will any old type C cable be ok with fast charging or is it best to pay a bit more and get a 'known' brand?
Much could depend on the phone, what is it? For example OnePlus phones will only fast charge with their proprietary cable and charger. So even a fantastical gold plated £100 cable wouldn't be good enough.

Soldato
Its a Poco x3.
I'm not entirely familiar with the workings of that phone but my brief Google search seems to suggest it does not support PD or Quick Charging. In other words yes it'll charge at 33W however as with OnePlus it will need an original adapter and cable.
You could find that it tops out at 15 or 18w with any other type of charger (that supports those speeds) but I'm surmising and again basing that on my OnePlus.
However please take all this with a pinch of salt, as I say I didn't delve too deep into the particulars of the Poco. I just wanted to make sure you don't go out of your way to get a good cable for nothing.

Soldato
OP
I'm not entirely familiar with the workings of that phone but my brief Google search seems to suggest it does not support PD or Quick Charging. In other words yes it'll charge at 33W however as with OnePlus it will need an original adapter and cable.
You could find that it tops out at 15 or 18w with any other type of charger (that supports those speeds) but I'm surmising and again basing that on my OnePlus.
However please take all this with a pinch of salt, as I say I didn't delve too deep into the particulars of the Poco. I just wanted to make sure you don't go out of your way to get a good cable for nothing.

Looks like a bit of a rabbit hole in regards to type c cables. I've got some that say they are rated for the POCO charger, but mostly the phone will be charged from a usb wall socket and my PC so as long as they charge and transfer data they should be ok. Thanks for the help, never knew it would be so frustrating finding a USB cable.

Soldato
Looks like a bit of a rabbit hole in regards to type c cables. I've got some that say they are rated for the POCO charger, but mostly the phone will be charged from a usb wall socket and my PC so as long as they charge and transfer data they should be ok. Thanks for the help, never knew it would be so frustrating finding a USB cable.
Yeah, especially these days with the all the proprietary charging tech that manufacturers are using. The phone will charge with any usb cable and adapter/computer however it will normally be at the lowest common denominator, likely 5 or 10w.

Back
Top Bottom