Any C# programmers here?

Associate
Would love to hear what you think of C#

I used to programme in VB6/VB.NET a while back. I decided to have a look at c# recently. It's early days but so far it's been okay. I think familiarity with Visual Studio helps; even though it's evolved significantly since I used it last, not having to learn to use an IDE while also learning a new language simplifies the task a lot.

Associate
I work with C# daily. My previous job was mostly VB.Net.

I much prefer C# compared to VB.Net. That said, once you look beyond the differences in the base language syntax, the .Net stuff is very similar across the two.

Associate
I use C# "daily" (Head of Dev / Dev TL / 'Architect') at my current place. My last place we refactored everything into C# from VB/Net for purely support reasons - Most people entering the market now are using C# and it's a more widely used language when working within the Microsoft stack (Anything M/O/D 365. VB is fine, it'll be fine for a little while but the market is asking for more C# developers. I 'grew up' with C# so I'm just.. Familiar with how it works. The whole "dim" thing annoys me. Other than that? *Shrug* - If you can do both, great. If you want to have a better time being hired: C#.

Permabanned
Used C# for a bunch of years, now it's second nature and I wouldn't want to use anything else. It's just a good jack of all trades language, easy to write, easy to read, most things are just a google away.

Associate
Hi John_s. Can I ask why you prefer C# to VB.net?

It’s hard to say anything particularly tangible really... C# just feels “cleaner” to work with, whereas VB’s syntax feels “clunky” and less intuitive.

It will probably all compile down to the same IL, so there’s probably sod all difference in performance.

Associate
OP
It’s hard to say anything particularly tangible really... C# just feels “cleaner” to work with, whereas VB’s syntax feels “clunky” and less intuitive.
It will probably all compile down to the same IL, so there’s probably sod all difference in performance.
Interesting. I like VB so if C# is better in these respects then maybe learning C# will be smoother and potentially more productive.

It's far too early in my c# learing curve to express anything more than an early impression, but so far it feels more comforable than previous experiences learning a new language. On reflection this might be because I'm using Visual Studio and because c# is part of the Microsoft development ecosystem rather than anything to do with the language itself.

Soldato
Use c#/vb.net for work, was using Delphi for work stuff first but then work decided to change to vb.net(asked them to use c# but they said no) so re-coded everything to that, they now want it all in c# so had to change again. I prefer c# as I used to code in c/c++ so I find it easier.

Associate
OP
If you're planning to get a job as a .Net developer then C# is more likely to be a better path as there's far more jobs available for it.
Not looking for a developer job but I still get developer opportunites turning up in my Inbox and have can't remember the last time VB was work was amoung them.

Soldato
.NET 5 is a rc now so hopefully it won't be too much longer

Been doing quite a bit of reading about this since you told me it was in RC stage and apparently it is due to be released on the 10th of November 2020. I'm going to hold off installing anything until that point. I have enough on my plate as it is anyway so waiting for a month or so won't be hard.

Back
Top Bottom