Cyclists Beware

Caporegime
I only knew 2 of my great grandparents and one died when I was like 6 the other when I was about 7-8. That was over 30 years ago.

I also only knew 2 of my great grandparents (both were great grandfathers somewhat unusually) but they passed away when I was 5 or 6 I suppose.

One of them was as deaf as a post and totally blind, he filled space in a room but past that I really don't know a lot about him.

The other had half a hand because he accidentally blew half of it off with a cannon (yes, a cannon. As in, with a cannonball) and used to make rude jokes at the dinner table which we could barely understand because he had about 4 teeth... :D

Soldato
show me the speed readout on the video that shows he is speeding, then i'll buy your theories. On your logic I'll say he wasn't speeding and you need to watch the video again once the effects of the crack have worn off. I can do this all day

Are you high?

Or if not why do you defend things like this?

Caporegime
Personally if I wanted to turn and a car was trying to overtake me as I wanted to turn then I would have stopped and waited to make sure it was actually safe.

I trust no one on the road and take no chances, I don't assume anything apart from my own actions.

you can't really blame the guy but he also didn't appear to indicate a turn unless I missed it. but that car was going way too fast.

I see way too many people riding bikes without lights at night though it's not even legal shops should inform you about the laws when you buy a bike.

Last edited:
Soldato
I very nearly hit someone cycling at night on a rural road with no lights or hi-vis, with a guy jogging next to him also wearing black :/

Some people just don't think. If you don't happen to have main beams on you cannot see them on unlit roads until you are right on top of them.

Soldato
The car overtaking him didn't hit him, it was the car coming at him on the opposite side of the road!
I think the point was by swinging out from behind the overtaking car without pausing the cyclist compromised his own visibility of what was coming the other way.

Man of Honour
I think the point was by swinging out from behind the overtaking car without pausing the cyclist compromised his own visibility of what was coming the other way.

Fair enough, I have that exact same scenario every night when coming home, wait for car to overtake, move over and then make sure nothing is coming the opposite way.

Soldato
Completely different but yesterday I was doing 50 in a 50 and around a bend were two people walking on the road.. luckily was no oncoming traffic
Your fault if you of hit them if you were going too fast for your line of sight and stopping distance.

It be the Same thing if there was a car stopped around that bend and you went into the back of it

Yes loads of people do it go to fast around blind corners without knowing what could be around it

Last edited:
Soldato
given the comment about bends (it's always surprising people who don't open up left bends too)
the driver that overtook the cyclist, on his side of the road, was probably speeding himself, look how he cut back in, & should have been breathalyzed/questioned,
he could have actually dazzled the guy who subsequently hit him, and, may have known he wanted to turn right but, overtook aggressively,
if he had held back, maybe whole incident would have been avoided, he blocked visibility of the guy who hit him.
I can't believe the cyclists road positioning wasn't indicating he was intending to turn right.

Associate
Them running was is clearly wrong and they did seem to be going pretty quick but I’m not sure they would have even seen the bike as it was blocked by the car that has just over taken it.

Man of Honour
Your fault if you of hit them if you were going too fast for your line of sight and stopping distance.

It be the Same thing if there was a car stopped around that bend and you went into the back of it

Yes loads of people do it go to fast around blind corners without knowing what could be around it

It is difficult sometimes - one I do quite a lot you'd have to do around 10MPH around it to stop in time if someone was just after the apex: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9...4!1siJms6EXtUwR1F0u1FURCCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Quite often late at night people walk it on foot and on the inside side of that curve as well (usually holding a light out at least so there is that) one time I came around it at 2am and there was a broken down mini just after the apex that I only just avoided!

Soldato
that's exactly the type of left bend where you would see 'drivers' stuck to the left wall, where they should be opening it,
doesn't look too narrow, but with width of many cars these days they should probably redesignate what is a narrow road

Back
Top Bottom