• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Guy who translated the RDNA 2 leaks an hour or two ago has rumors for Zen 3 and it's not good news.

Right now AMD will not sell the 10 core (mentioned in the RDNA 2 leaks). It's going to be 8 12 and 16 core on launch. The 5800x will be the best chip for gaming but when the 5850x (10 core) does launch it will be VERY close in price to the 8 core part as it apparently costs less to produce. Limited stock of 5800x as AMD moves the good binned stuff for epyc and threadripper since margins are much better. Capacity is low and demand high so they are increasing prices.

I guess we will be really lucky to see £299 for the 8 core. Be prepared for £350 and if it's really bad... £375.

Even at £350 I wouldn't say it's bad. These new chips will last people an entire generation looking at the console specs.

Worst case, sell up and get a higher core part from same gen in future for larger scale multiplayer games.

Can't remember a time when mobo choice and support was so important given these drop in upgrades.

Associate
I am currently waiting with a dying PC to upgrade. Any idea when stock of mobos and CPUs will be available? End of next month or sooner? I don't follow release formats so don't have a clue. I know launch is around the 8th November.

Soldato
Guy who translated the RDNA 2 leaks an hour or two ago has rumors for Zen 3 and it's not good news.

Right now AMD will not sell the 10 core (mentioned in the RDNA 2 leaks). It's going to be 8 12 and 16 core on launch. The 5800x will be the best chip for gaming but when the 5850x (10 core) does launch it will be VERY close in price to the 8 core part as it apparently costs less to produce. Limited stock of 5800x as AMD moves the good binned stuff for epyc and threadripper since margins are much better. Capacity is low and demand high so they are increasing prices.

I guess we will be really lucky to see £299 for the 8 core. Be prepared for £350 and if it's really bad... £375.

I don't really like the idea of buying a badly binned 5800x, so i think i'll be waiting a little while for demand to ease a bit... but having said that, when the pound hits parity with the dollar next year probably isn't a good time to buy either...

Soldato
I am currently waiting with a dying PC to upgrade. Any idea when stock of mobos and CPUs will be available? End of next month or sooner? I don't follow release formats so don't have a clue. I know launch is around the 8th November.

Motherboards are available now. For an easy life buy a B550 board and and either 3600X or 3700X this week. Then some time in the new year, think about swapping out for a Zen 3 part if you need to.

Associate
So how fast can we expect these to be?
15%IPC another 200mhz core clock maybe.
20% single thread increase?
for gaming I suspect the move to single ccx will be a bigger gain than IPC or core clock boosts

In some cases it may be 30-40% faster if you account for single ccx, 15% IPC and 5-10% clock speed boost

Caporegime
for gaming I suspect the move to single ccx will be a bigger gain than IPC or core clock boosts

In some cases it may be 30-40% faster if you account for single ccx, 15% IPC and 5-10% clock speed boost
My eye is on a 5800x to last me the next 2-3 years until AM5. I think that 8 cores and 16 threads should be powerful enough for the duration of that time.

Associate
My eye is on a 5800x to last me the next 2-3 years until AM5. I think that 8 cores and 16 threads should be powerful enough for the duration of that time.
Yep same here, bought the 2600 as a stop gap back in Jan 2019 and have been waiting since.
5800x will be a great chip which I'll use until at least 2025.

Caporegime
You’ve clearly never used the two.

I would ignore this chap, he’s upset because he’s been pulled up on this nonsense.
Nah you're the guy living in complete denial who refuses to acknowledge that any Intel chip is better than any AMD/Zen chip for any reason.

Zen 1 has never been better than *comparable* Intel chips at gaming. It wasn't at launch and it isn't now. Zen 1 was pretty crap for gaming. Yup, I said it. Zen 1 was pretty crap for gaming.

You’ve clearly never used the two.
Which two... we only know that his existing CPU is a 7600k @ 5.2Ghz. No doubt you'll want to compare with an 8c/16t Zen or better.

As for being "call out on this nonsense"... you are the guy who swore blind that AMD would 100% release in September.

You called me an idiot several times for questioning this, because you were convinced September they would all drop. Said I couldn't read, lol, and posted some Tweet that said nothing of the sort.

You seem to be well versed in posting "nonsense" yourself. Better than me, in fact.

Last edited:
Associate
Super hype for these, sick to the back teeth of my volcano lake 7820x. Haven't had an AMD processor since my old Phenom II X6 (barf), but eagerly grabbed myself the Crosshair VIII x570 for one of these.

Hope this doesn't give me Bulldozer flashbacks! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom