Is My New Car Taxed or Not? I'm Confused

Associate
I've just bought my new car and collected it 2 days ago.

I went gov.uk to check to see if the car is taxed or not and I'm a bit confused by the information given.

Under vehicle details, it says the status is "Taxed" but there is a line (with an exclamation mark next to it) that says,

"If you've just bought this vehicle the tax or SORN doesn't come with it. You'll need to tax it before driving it."

I want to ask if anyone can clarify this please? Do I need to do anything?

Thanks.

For reference, https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ccqp49oca37raf/Tax car.png?dl=0

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes you need to tax it. It will remain showing as taxed until the logbook is processed, but you should officially tax it yourself. You can use the number on the new keepers' slip from the logbook to tax it.

Man of Honour
It will only be taxed if they transferred ownership online and taxed it at the same time. However id imagine they would have told you that

Only if taxed for the new owner as part of that process - which some dealers might do but they'd normally talk to you first.

If a trade sale they will normally tell you about that process (well the better ones) while a private sale that almost certainly hasn't happened.

Associate
Only if taxed for the new owner as part of that process - which some dealers might do but they'd normally talk to you first.

If a trade sale they will normally tell you about that process (well the better ones) while a private sale that almost certainly hasn't happened.
Yep, just meant that if they did it via the V5 then it won't be taxed, should have added that.

Soldato
Either it's taxed or it isn't, it isn't a smart system. Technically you should tax it under your name as soon as you buy it.

If the previous owner didn't go through the keeper change procedure and send off the V5 then they are running the risk. Any speeding fines etc you rack up will go to them until the DVLA process the V62 and send a new one out.

Last edited:
Associate
Thought most dealers make you tax it while you’re there when you come to collect it?

This has certainly been the case on the last two cars I've purchased. One a major franchise, the other a smaller independant. Both did exactly the same of putting the exact amount of the tax on the invoice, and buying it online in my name on the .gov website in front of me as part of the document hand over process.

Soldato
This has certainly been the case on the last two cars I've purchased. One a major franchise, the other a smaller independant. Both did exactly the same of putting the exact amount of the tax on the invoice, and buying it online in my name on the .gov website in front of me as part of the document hand over process.

Same here for two cars we've purchased this year

Man of Honour
Same for mine that I purchased at the end of last year.

Associate
OP
Did you buy the car new from a dealer or private?

From a Hyundai dealer.

I don't recall the salesman (or the person who served me upon collection) ever telling me to tax the vehicle before collecting it except to contact my insurance company about a change of vehicle.

Soldato
From a Hyundai dealer.

I don't recall the salesman (or the person who served me upon collection) ever telling me to tax the vehicle before collecting it except to contact my insurance company about a change of vehicle.

Do still have the receipt or invoice that they raised when you baught it? It will be a list of items liken the car price minus traid In tank of fuel etc. It will have the cars ved on it. Any car I have baught in the last few years has this paid upfront when ordering the car

Associate
OP
Do still have the receipt or invoice that they raised when you baught it? It will be a list of items liken the car price minus traid In tank of fuel etc. It will have the cars ved on it. Any car I have baught in the last few years has this paid upfront when ordering the car

I've just looked at my invoice. Tax isn't listed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom