KVM advice

Associate
Hello all,

First time posting but long time reader.

After a lot of searching, I am still in need of advice, if anyone could kindly point me in the right direction.

I will shortly (in the next fortnight) be moving home. In the new house, my server will be based in the attic. My server will be running Unraid and in turn two Windows VM's (VM1 & VM2). I wish to access VM1 in my office which is on the floor below, whilst VM2 will be accessible from the living room. I want each remote VM access point to be as if the computer was physically present there (ie no latency, 4K display, sound) and as such I wish to have a monitor/keyboard/mouse present in each room.

I hope this makes sense, as my several emails to various manufacturers has caused confusion.

I have read online that a KVM extender will suffice in passing the computer video feed along with keyboard & mouse USB inputs down an ethernet cable. Unfortunately however, there are numerous products online that range from £50 - £1000's.

My requirements are 4K at 60hz, zero latency and audio from the computer can be passed along with the mouse & keyboard. Lastly, Cat7 ethernet cable will be installed in the house.

I have found KVM extenders and switches but unsure as to the difference, other than price.

Can anyone please kindly advise what product(s) I need to accomplish this please?

For reference, this is the closest I have found that seems to tick all the boxes, however if I can do it cheaper that would certainly be a bonus;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0876TTMJR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1QAPHQPQ85ZT6&psc=1

Kind regards.

Soldato
I remember there was a Linus Tech Tips video on this subject, probably worth Googling. The main difficulty was if the VMs were used for Games. In Which case the keyboard and mouse needed to be extremely low latency.

Soldato
I use a free program called InputDirector. My use case is to use a keyboard and mouse over multiple machines seemlessly, 3 in fact. It's great.

It's incredibly adjustable, and video feed aside may be able to do what you need. I'll look at the settings and options when I can to check for you.

That what it's just a case of getting the video everywhere you need it, may prove cheaper.

Associate
OP
I use a free program called InputDirector. My use case is to use a keyboard and mouse over multiple machines seemlessly, 3 in fact. It's great.

It's incredibly adjustable, and video feed aside may be able to do what you need. I'll look at the settings and options when I can to check for you.

That what it's just a case of getting the video everywhere you need it, may prove cheaper.

Hi,

Sounds interesting, thanks. I'll give their website a read over (https://www.inputdirector.com/)

To be honest, I'm up for any suggestion(s) that will allow me to set things up.

Back
Top Bottom