Boomer and Piers Morgan destroy the internet in Welsh village.

Yeah, certainly was the fault of the "Boomer", I mean why hold onto that perfectly decent TV with a sensible sized screen that still worked when he could have gone out and bought a 70+ inch LCD (Which will need replacement every few years) to see the face of a divisive TV celebrity in 4k every morning.

I agree with you but from a different angle. In my view, it was adding the 5th channel around 1997 that was the start of the end. 10 years later, the freeview roll-out commenced. At least with Sky/cable, you have a reason for signing up - for specific channels such as sports, films or a cartoon channel, but freeview was too much of the same imo. Like you said, divisive celebs, polarising news (more so than in the 90s), reality TV, old memes and necro-posts on social media being dug up just to ruin people's careers.

Permabanned
They told everyone how to nuke the internet, Which was stupid. If you ever hated and wanted to troll your neighbours now you know how and what to scour ebay for.

Commissario
It amazes me that it took them eighteen months to get the spectrum analyser out.

This is the story as reported by Openreach:
*snip*
“By using a device called a Spectrum Analyser we walked up and down the village in the torrential rain at 6am to see if we could find an ‘electrical noise’ to support our theory. And at 7am, like clockwork, it happened! Our device picked up a large burst of electrical interference in the village.

I rest my case :D

Caporegime
The signal doesnt start off as light, it starts as an electronic digital signal which gets converted to light using a fibre module which incorporates a laser diode which then sends it over the fibre. Thats the point Firstborn was eluding to
Except the problem wasn't at the transmitter/receiver end was it, it was EM interference in transmission, no?

Which you don't get with fibre/optical signals.

Soldato
Except the problem wasn't at the transmitter/receiver end was it, it was EM interference in transmission, no?

Which you don't get with fibre/optical signals.

I have no idea where the interference got in as I didnt read the story, I was just responding to Pant's idea data gets over fibre as light and Firstborn made the point of how does data get over fibre to begin with. That is the major point, RF presumably from the local oscillator from a TV wouldnt affect fibre but it could affect the circuitry before it got converted to light

Back
Top Bottom