• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is the best "temporary' graphic card while waiting for 3080?

Associate
I've been using a 1660 Super to tide me over after selling the 1080ti a while back, I was hoping for a 3080 but I'm realistic that it'll be a while now. At 3440 x 1440 I can get 80-100 fps if I turn down the pretties a fair bit on load of games. I didn't really want to go second hand though.

Associate
OP
I wouldn’t buy second hand GPU if it’s the system I keep,but like I said it’s a temporary card until 3080 comes in stock and I’m going to sell it after I get the 3080 so second hand is the way to go.(losing less value)

Associate
I bought a GT710. Its perfectly capable of playing Crysis at 60fps. Not the remastered one, the 2007 one. On low settings... at 720p... But its a game!

Associate
I was in the same boat and cancelled my order for a 3080 as I was 1200 back on the list. Picked up a 2070 super for £400 with 3 year warranty. Probably do me till I can trade it against a 3080 super or something when they become available
I am about to order my new build, I think I will do this. There is a 2070 super on here for £399, as on other sites too.

Associate
I may be wrong, but, being a slower part, the 3070 GPU is probably easier/ cheaper to produce and therefore possible to produce in larger quantities.

Associate
Depends what you use your system for, if it's for gaming and you can cope at 1080p there are many viable sub-£50 options on the used market, and you can keep it as a spare if/when your 3080 gets POSCAP-ed :D

Associate
OP
Depends what you use your system for, if it's for gaming and you can cope at 1080p there are many viable sub-£50 options on the used market, and you can keep it as a spare if/when your 3080 gets POSCAP-ed :D
It's for gaming only.and must be better than 1080p.
FE edition (which is what I'm after) had zero issues reported .it's all OC'ed third party cards causing issues..

Associate
FE edition (which is what I'm after) had zero issues reported .it's all OC'ed third party cards causing issues..

For 1440p a 980Ti/1080 should do, for 4K you'd probably want a 1080Ti.

3rd parties that used all POSCAP/SP-CAP design.

Associate
I picked up a EVGA 2080 super of amazon and entered their step up program. Couldn’t be bother to checking for 3080 FE stock. I was after a 3080 fe but like most have not had any luck getting one. I’ll end up paying more for the 3080 ftw3 ultra that I’m stepping up to but it should run cooler then the fe.

Associate
That’s not true as it been reported that both the fe and Asus cards have both had reports of crashing. Fe has a mixture of caps and Asus has uses all mlcc so it doesn’t seem to be solely down to caps used. I do believe it’s todo the amount the cards are trying to boost to.

Associate
That’s not true as it been reported that both the fe and Asus cards have both had reports of crashing. Fe has a mixture of caps and Asus has uses all mlcc so it doesn’t seem to be solely down to caps used. I do believe it’s todo the amount the cards are trying to boost to.

Some of the voltage graphs seemed to suggest high spikes near the end of some workloads which might be causing issues on all cards but mostly the poscap variety, and can be solved by drivers, some mentioned the Studio driver solved it or power limiting the cards.

Man of Honour
So I found a 1080TI for £230,how does that sound? my main priority is to not lose too much money when I sell it once i can find a 3080.
which can take 2-3 months as you know.
Sounds good to me, shouldn't lose that much value because it undercuts the RTX 3060, so unless AMD come out with some strong new value-oriented chip you won't have much competition around the £200 price point.,

Associate
Some of the voltage graphs seemed to suggest high spikes near the end of some workloads which might be causing issues on all cards but mostly the poscap variety, and can be solved by drivers, some mentioned the Studio driver solved it or power limiting the cards.

I just read about high spikes causing the problems. I fully expect it to be solved with a driver update. Obviously some cards with better components/design might be able to handle this better but in the end it seems like a driver issue.

Back
Top Bottom