**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
it confuses me when I see people saying this. On my 5930k I see almost equal use across all 6 cores and all 6 threads in this game. How come?
Do you fly the airliners? In the cockpit I'm definitely cpu limited and that's with a 980ti at 1440p. Outside I'm gpu limited though

Soldato
it confuses me when I see people saying this. On my 5930k I see almost equal use across all 6 cores and all 6 threads in this game. How come?

Because it scales to about 8, so you wouldn’t see the limitation. A lot of people have 16+ threads these days.

That said, the main thread is often choking even with the distribution it currently has, they could do with getting more stuff off the main thread. Will depend on settings (and how frame limited you are with GPU) as to how much of an issue it is of course.

I personally don’t expect them to put much work into that until DX12 is implemented.

Soldato
I see one core almost pegged at 100% and the others doing very little as well.

Its to do with being the DX version. A dev on here said with an area that used DX12 there was equal load across all cores,and countless devs have stated that multithreading on DX11 is very limited. Im sure that Microsoft are going to upgrade this fully to DX12.

Last edited:
Soldato
The implementation of DX12 is coming as it’s been mentioned in their most recent update. Have faith.

I think it’s been known for a long time that it’s coming - the question is when!

Could be a target for the Xbox launch window perhaps. I imagine MS isn’t going to skimp on giving them all the help they might need to get it implemented - would be a fantastic showcase for DX12 ultimate and some of the performance wins the new feature set can bring.

Associate
I've really enjoyed flying this evening, tried the turbo props for the first time today, and it's quickly become my favourite plane to fly.

Since the patch, the 787 has become near impossible to fly, so it's refreshing to try something new.

I also overclocked my 980ti for the first time, core clock up to 1465mhz from 1291mhz, and now it's rock solid at locked 30fps, majority high graphics at 4k 70% render scale.

Soldato
Its to do with being the DX version. A dev on here said with an area that used DX12 there was equal load across all cores,and countless devs have stated that multithreading on DX11 is very limited. Im sure that Microsoft are going to upgrade this fully to DX12.

DX12 doesn't make a jot of difference to the main thread. Render thread maybe (IANA graphics programmer though). I've never seen significant overall performance improvements moving from DX11 to 12.

The only way to get workloads off the main thread, is to write code that executes off the main thread. DX12 doesn't do that for you.

Soldato
Whilst this is undeniably true I assume that DX11 is somehow limiting the number of threads available, and that the move to DX12 will allow them to code for better multithreaded utilisation and performance !?!

Nah, DX12 just makes it easier to multithread one small aspect of the game (firing commands at the GPU). It doesn't provide more threads or any of that.

You've got your Main thread, and your Render thread typically. DX12 *can* help you split out the render thread work. It doesn't do anything for your main thread work, where all the game logic lives.

There is no magic bullet, anywhere for writing multithreaded code. You have to manage the ownership and synchronization of data across threads.

TLDR: the only way a game will scale well across multiple cores is if the engineers write code that scales across cores. DX12 won't fix a choked Main thread.

Soldato
Agreed it’s not a magic bullet and requires proper implementation, but DX12 does scale across multiple CPU cores more effectively with better distribution of load. It can also reduce single thread bottlenecking caused by abstraction present in higher level APIs like earlier DX versions.

That’s not to say that DX11 can’t be written in a way that also utilises lots of cores quite well and a good DX11 implementation will almost certainly beat a poor DX12 one - star citizen would be an excellent case in point where it is massively multithreaded with good distribution and currently running on DX11 as Vulcan work is ongoing. But even so you simply cannot argue that a well written DX12 implementation won’t be more performant on higher multi core CPUs than an equally well written DX11 implementation and is less likely to see a single thread bottlenecking.

Potentially for CPU utilisation this game could also probably really benefit from the reduction in drawcalls due to the sheer amount of objects on screen in higher settings... DX12 is ridiculously more performant in this regard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed it’s not a magic bullet and requires proper implementation, but DX12 does scale across multiple CPU cores more effectively with better distribution of load. It can also reduce single thread bottlenecking caused by abstraction present in higher level APIs like earlier DX versions.

That’s not to say that DX11 can’t be written in a way that also utilises lots of cores quite well and a good DX11 implementation will almost certainly beat a poor DX12 one - star citizen would be an excellent case in point where it is massively multithreaded with good distribution and currently running on DX11 as Vulcan work is ongoing. But even so you simply cannot argue that a well written DX12 implementation won’t be more performant on higher multi core CPUs than an equally well written DX11 implementation and is less likely to see a single thread bottlenecking.

Potentially for CPU utilisation this game could also probably really benefit from the reduction in drawcalls due to the sheer amount of objects on screen in higher settings... DX12 is ridiculously more performant in this regard.

Again, there's a misconception that DX12 means better multithreading. It doesn't. It means there is potential for better multithreading in one quite limited aspect of the game's performance.

I've worked on several games with both DX12 and DX11 renderers, and there has never been a significant difference in performance between the two, because that just isn't where the bottleneck is most of the time. It's definitely not going to help out a situation where the main thread is limiting.

Associate
I would say go for the direct purchase from MS.

This is one title where buying from Steam has no real advantage.

I would be quite happy to buy direct from MS just to avoid having all games through my Steam account. However, the one feature that Steam have that other platforms don't is the backup and restore function. Even with fast broadband some of these games like MSFS are huge and take a long time to download. With play once games it doesn't matter but with games that have a longer life I sometimes uninstall them for a while and then reinstall or need to reinstall after reinstalling windows. To be able to do this from a backup is much quicker and easier.

From what I understand MS Store doesn't have backup and restore built in. I know there are workrounds for some of the other game platforms that don't offer it as a built in feature. Is it possible to manually copy FS game files and paste them back to avoid downloading the game from scratch again if reinstalling windows for example?

Soldato
I would be quite happy to buy direct from MS just to avoid having all games through my Steam account. However, the one feature that Steam have that other platforms don't is the backup and restore function. Even with fast broadband some of these games like MSFS are huge and take a long time to download. With play once games it doesn't matter but with games that have a longer life I sometimes uninstall them for a while and then reinstall or need to reinstall after reinstalling windows. To be able to do this from a backup is much quicker and easier.

From what I understand MS Store doesn't have backup and restore built in. I know there are workrounds for some of the other game platforms that don't offer it as a built in feature. Is it possible to manually copy FS game files and paste them back to avoid downloading the game from scratch again if reinstalling windows for example?
There's been posts in here indicating steam version downloading has been a bugger tho

Soldato
I bought the Steam version. I much prefer all my games in one place as much as possible. Plus I like the steam overlay for taking screenshots and stuff, and little things like tracking hours played in game.

Soldato
Just to confirm though, Steam itself only downloads around 500Mb of core files which gives you access to the main game, which as I said comes from the FS/Asobo server not Steam. So there is no Steam backup in this case per se. As I found last week, any corruption of the actual game files requires a full redownload of all 100+ Gb from Asobo. Due to the ongoing server issues, many users are finding this can only be done using Net Limiter 4 to keep download speed at 500KB/s. And as Steam also seem to have abandoned their earlier promise not to strictly impose their refund policy on this title, no advantage there either.

Soldato

Yes, manually copying the folder works fine, did it myself.

I've just done all of the Cessna training flights without issue on my machine, prior to the last patch it was a 3 - 4 second per frame slideshow for me, no idea what they did but it has worked miracles for me and my ageing system :)

Back
Top Bottom