• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah, for there to be widespread, global availability by the end of Oct say, surely there'd then 10s of thousands already heading out to retail channels across the world. And yet no one has leaked really basic stuff like 4000 or 5000 series branding for certain or clock frequencies - stuff printed on the side of the box. Have the boxes been printed yet?

I'm very tempted just to buy a B550 and 3600 now (don't have a desktop currently). Any guess as to how the used price of a 3600 will be looking in the new year?

Caporegime
Yeah, for there to be widespread, global availability by the end of Oct say, surely there'd then 10s of thousands already heading out to retail channels across the world. And yet no one has leaked really basic stuff like 4000 or 5000 series branding for certain or clock frequencies - stuff printed on the side of the box. Have the boxes been printed yet?

I'm very tempted just to buy a B550 and 3600 now (don't have a desktop currently). Any guess as to how the used price of a 3600 will be looking in the new year?
I'm tempted too, but universal advice is that now is a poor time to buy unless essential.

At the least the new price of the 3600 should drop when Zen 3 is announced in a couple of weeks.

Soldato

Good point. I imagine the 3600 price will drop as the new CPU's become available. B550 and a used 3600 would be a good choice. Drop in a 5000 series CPU later when they drop in price.

Soldato
Yea as much as I hate to, but I think I agree.

That's what, less than 2 weeks now? I seriously doubt any release. See what the announcement brings

It's not unusual to have to wait 2-4 weeks after an announcement for the actual release date, the big reason to wait for the announcement is to get the real data for the models being released, and the prices points, and maybe some dubious first party data showing the performance.

Associate
It's not unusual to have to wait 2-4 weeks after an announcement for the actual release date, the big reason to wait for the announcement is to get the real data for the models being released, and the prices points, and maybe some dubious first party data showing the performance.

We're all slavering for that dubious first-party data though :)

Soldato
I've just sorted my sytem with a 3600 as a stop-gap processor until Zen3 arrives. Motherboard and ram upgraded, all ready to go. Picked up a bargain on the 3600 so happy to sit and wait now for availabilty of the new cpus :)

Associate
Motherboards are available now. For an easy life buy a B550 board and and either 3600X or 3700X this week. Then some time in the new year, think about swapping out for a Zen 3 part if you need to.

Is X670 of whatever not going to be a thing? Are they just going to continue to use the B550/X570 boards?

Soldato
Is X670 of whatever not going to be a thing? Are they just going to continue to use the B550/X570 boards?
I don't think we'll see another chipset for AM4. There's just no need. B550 is absolutely fine for the majority of users, then the X570 is there for anyone needing more PCI connectivity.

Save new chipset work for new socket and DDR5 etc.

Associate
I don't think we'll see another chipset for AM4. There's just no need. B550 is absolutely fine for the majority of users, then the X570 is there for anyone needing more PCI connectivity.

Save new chipset work for new socket and DDR5 etc.

That makes sense, yeah. Well that’s good then. I’ve been eyeing the Aorus X570 pro, as there’s some good prices around. But wasn’t sure if it was a logical buy since I’m getting a new AMD cpu this year

Soldato
I've said in other places I'm expecting a refreshed X570. Still the same features and connectivity, but implemented properly instead of the hatchet bodge job we have now. So no reliance on PCIe retimers all over the place and a proper PCH instead of repurposing the Zen 2 IO die. X590 perhaps? Maybe a few tweaks to USB type? Improved onboard LAN?

Soldato
Nah you're the guy living in complete denial who refuses to acknowledge that any Intel chip is better than any AMD/Zen chip for any reason.

Zen 1 has never been better than *comparable* Intel chips at gaming. It wasn't at launch and it isn't now. Zen 1 was pretty crap for gaming. Yup, I said it. Zen 1 was pretty crap for gaming.

Which two... we only know that his existing CPU is a 7600k @ 5.2Ghz. No doubt you'll want to compare with an 8c/16t Zen or better.

As for being "call out on this nonsense"... you are the guy who swore blind that AMD would 100% release in September.

You called me an idiot several times for questioning this, because you were convinced September they would all drop. Said I couldn't read, lol, and posted some Tweet that said nothing of the sort.

You seem to be well versed in posting "nonsense" yourself. Better than me, in fact.

I literally showed you a review where HUB showed a 4.8GHZ Core i5 7600K not necessarily giving a 3.9GHZ Ryzen 5 1600 the thrashing you expect it would,and even Zen+ is the same core,but with some cache fixes.It actually ended up being generally a bit quicker overall,which is not what happened in 2017. In 3 of the titles,ie,BFV,SOTTR and the Division 2,the Core i5 had really poor minimums,ie,much more stutter. Sometimes it was as bad as nearly 15~20FPS lower minimums.

Compare that to a Core i7 7700K,and it doesn't have a problem in those same titles. The performance delta between a Core i5 7600K and Core i7 7700K has become enormous in a number of modern titles.

Its why I stopped recommending 4C Core i5 CPUs 5 years ago,and got most of my mates onto Core i7/Xeon E3 CPUs. Even Planetside 2,which used to be lightly threaded,got rejigged and seems to use more than 6 cores.

This means by extension something like Ryzen 5 2600X,Ryzen 5 3600/3600X,6C/12T Core i5 running at lower core clockspeeds is going to push ahead in many modern titles which use more than 4 threads,at least compared to an overclocked Core i5 7600K. So as much as he was being hyperbolic WRT to AMD,the 4C Core i5,is starting to hit limitations. Single core performance isn't the problem,as I doubt an overclocked Core i9 10900K is that much faster in single core performance than an overclocked Core i5 7600K. I would make the argument a 6C/12T is probably where it is ATM ,ie,a Ryzen 5 3600/3600X/3600XT or a Core i5 10400/Core i5 10600K. 8C/16T if you want to have some "future-proofing".

Last edited:
Soldato
I’d certainly agree that 6/12 is the base spec you’d want today if you plan to hold onto the cpu for a few years.

for example 9600k’s will start to suffer first.

Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 7 3700X or a tweaked Core i5 10600K,look reasonably solid options under £300. The Core i5 10400 would be a another good option if Intel hadn't gone and stopped B/H series motherboards from running RAM at XMP,which they allowed before.

smr

smr

Soldato
I'm really looking forward to the new CPUs now after building a new rig for a customer and installing FS2020 - and of course playing it to make sure it all runs ok :D

I have quite an old rig at the moment - about 10 years old - so I'll be buying an entire new rig - and coming out of gaming retirement to play FS2020. Will the new CPUs be available to buy next month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom