What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Watched the last 10 mins of Planet of the Apes (2001).

Obviously not going to give it a rating, but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_(2001_film)

If this is the way most films get made, it's amazing any of them actually see the light of day.

Seems like a story of woe, ego, complete lack of direction, conflicting ideas, you name it. What a bizarre way to run a movie studio.

(Initial work on the film started in 1988, before multiple re-writes, multiple directors and actors signing up and dropping off, or being fired, people dying, being jailed...)

Caporegime
Murder on the Orient Express

(The Kenneth Branaghagh - or however it's spelt - one). Fantastic cast, wonderfully shot, with some great performances. Somehow I've avoided ever watching or reading the story so it was all new to me and... yeah. I dunno, to me a whodunnit is supposed to feel, at the least, like the answer was obvious in hindsight and this didn't. Looks particularly poor compared to Knives Out.

Excellently made, but unsatisfying 6/10.

Soldato
Shutter Island 8.5/10

Watching 'classic' movies with the teenagers. Daughter said she enjoyed it, not much else, but son raved about it - said he wished they were studying this movie so he could write an essay about it!

(nerd).

Soldato
Red Rock West 9/10

I remember watching on hols back in the nineties (Florida), it was a straight to video film starring Nicolas Cage & Dennis Hopper, circa 1993. It's a hidden gem. Basically film noir, Hitchcockesque plot and one of two films Cage starred; that I really enjoyed (The Rock is the other).

Just picked up a Blu-ray copy, only appears as a German release, but flipping the language, the original soundtrack is available. Always loved the audio track as well - a real blast from the past. The transfer looks great as a Blu-ray.

If you haven't seen it, The Last Seduction from the same director is also well worth a look - another low budget noir gem.

Soldato
Another classics with my kids. This time it was "Ribbon Hood Prince of Thieves" (1991! ). They loved it.
My daughter is a Potter fan and she was blown away by the Rickman's Sheriff. "OMG, he's so dignified as Snape."
I'd forgotten just hope big the gap was between the "I'll cut your heart out with a spoon!" and the question "Why a spoon?"

Soldato
I watched Anaconda on Netflix after not watching it since it came out on video and remembering very little.

Holy crap is Jon Voight (assuming unintentionally) funny in this movie.

He plays the worst, most stereotyped Latin American accent like he literally just copied it from the "Say hello to my little friend!" line from Scarface. All while doing a constant downturned sneer like the worst De Niro impression you ever saw.

There's barely a time where he's speaking where it isn't hilariously bad or when he's leering at Jennifer Lopez, the faces he pulls are ridiculous. This is the same guy from Midnight Cowboy and the Deer Hunter, once regarded as one of the best actors around.

He is unbelievably bad in Anaconda, we're talking Tommy Wiseau levels in The Room.

Well, well worth watching for one of the most amazingly bad performances of all time in Jon Voight's Panamanian snake hunter.
He wasn't in the deer hunter

Soldato
Good Will Hunting

Ignoring how far-fetched the premise is, it's a thought provoking film with good performances all round. Robin Williams steals the show and Matt Damon was also excellent.

The pacing was a bit off I thought - it slowly builds towards something and then ends pretty quickly.

7/10

Soldato
Enola Holmes - 6/10, some decent performances but it was boring at times and had no spark which is why I ended up watching it over two days instead of in one sitting. I felt like the fourth wall-breaking element could have been used a bit more interestingly too.

Also odd that it was only 1080p on Netflix.

Man of Honour
Enola Holmes - A mostly lighthearted and fun (albeit slightly drawn out) ‘family mystery‘ romp.

I feel it unintentionally suffers for having plot points that perhaps by coincidence tie into the SJW stuff that is really, really tired at the moment. Not really a fault of this specific film... sadly I think any film about a young women finding herself in the Victorian era is going to feel a bit tired at the moment!! But it did go against this somewhat with the ‘mum subplot’.

I found myself a little frustrated that the ‘mum subplot’ alluded to a bombastic finale but it just sort of ended? Either reserving stuff for a second film or there was a budget cut. I can’t be alone in feeling that way.

6/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Enemy - A solid 8/10 - A man spots his exact double in a movie and becomes obsessed with finding him.

I knew very little about this apart from it was one of Denis Villeneuve earlier movies and that it's quite divisive. I understand why and will admit to immediately watching some YT breakdowns of the film immediately afterwards to confirm or dismiss my thoughts. I was generally on the right track.

I can't say much without giving a lot away but think it's quite the masterpiece, a little raw and rough around the edges but unsure if thats intentional, i'm more accustomed to DV from Prisoners/Sicario onwards.

Associate
I assume you mean Enola Holmes.

Yeah I saw that earlier and had to go back and check because I'd presumed it was something Sherlock Holmes based, having just glanced at the name on the poster, but then wondered if it'd had a funny font and I'd mis-read it, but turns out it was Holmes and my first suspicion was correct.

Back
Top Bottom