Best stable X570 board?

Associate
OP
What will his son be using the PC for?

And what other parts is he looking at?.

Will he be needing wifi?.
From what is Dad was said he was looking to use it for streaming and gaming at the same time.
Here is a list of the original components he had suggested:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (700 GBP)
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken Z73 - 360mm (240 GBP)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 - Founder's Edition (1400 GBP)
RAM - Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) - 4000mHz (450 GBP)
Motherboard - ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi (400 GBP)
Drives - Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB M.2 SSD) (360 GBP), Seagate IronWolf 6TB (160 GBP)
PSU - Corsair HX1200i (250 GBP)
Fan - NZXT AER RGB - 120mm (25 GBP)
Case - NZXT H510 Elite - Black (150 GBP)
Paste - Thermal Paste - Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut (1g) - 5 GBP
Total - 4140 GBP

I said it is a good list but I could make a PC build for less some of the parts he listed was abit overkill. Please note I have not put in the GPU as I suggested waiting until all the graphics cards are out on the market before hitting the buy button. Please see link here on ************ https://uk.************.com/list/JJwxyk

Associate
OP
Go on youtube and watch Hardware Unboxed X570 / B550 motherboard reviews or Gamers Nexus.
Yeah I follow both channels and from between their recommendations and Amazon user reviews this is the board I was considering. I also spoke to users on reddit and it suggests that the newer revisions are better along with the new bios updates they are more stable

Soldato
From what is Dad was said he was looking to use it for streaming and gaming at the same time.
Drives - Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB M.2 SSD) (360 GBP), Seagate IronWolf 6TB (160 GBP)
Total - 4140 GBP

I said it is a good list but I could make a PC build for less some of the parts he listed was abit overkill. Please note I have not put in the GPU as I suggested waiting until all the graphics cards are out on the market before hitting the buy button. Please see link here on ************ https://uk.************.com/list/JJwxyk
Definitely wouldn't buy 3950X now.
And really now isn't time for buying anything expensive.
Release of Zen3 architecture is in 8th of next month and similar to Zen+ to Zen2 jump would put 12 core Zen3 close to 3950X in multithreaded loads while naturally beating it in anything with single core dependancy.

If waterpipes are must, Arctic has actually beefy radiators in Freezer II serie and without fashion overprices.

And there's zero need for very expensive board.
Any proper X570 board has overkill VRMs for stock AM4 CPUs.
MSI X570 Tomahawk is more than enough of motherboard.
In fact its VRM is pretty much at lunatically overkill level.
Also MSI's chipset cooler beats the crap out of marketroid designs of Asus boards...
Which have marketing excrements hiding small heatsinks under them, relying on constant airflow from constantly running fan, with everything positioned under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.
While properly designed X570 coolers of Gigabyte and MSI can run mostly passively.
(which also means fan's failure wouln't be certain catastrophe)

Also for gaming and streaming there's zero sense in big luxury price of PCIe v4.
Adata SX8200 Pro could be found for over £100 less.
Same for Silicon Power P34A80.

And off the charts bat crazy oversizing would make that PSU run at obsolete 80+ standard efficiencies when not gaming.
It would barely reach its best efficiency area under gaming load.

Associate
OP
Definitely wouldn't buy 3950X now.
And really now isn't time for buying anything expensive.
Release of Zen3 architecture is in 8th of next month and similar to Zen+ to Zen2 jump would put 12 core Zen3 close to 3950X in multithreaded loads while naturally beating it in anything with single core dependancy.

If waterpipes are must, Arctic has actually beefy radiators in Freezer II serie and without fashion overprices.

And there's zero need for very expensive board.
Any proper X570 board has overkill VRMs for stock AM4 CPUs.
MSI X570 Tomahawk is more than enough of motherboard.
In fact its VRM is pretty much at lunatically overkill level.
Also MSI's chipset cooler beats the crap out of marketroid designs of Asus boards...
Which have marketing excrements hiding small heatsinks under them, relying on constant airflow from constantly running fan, with everything positioned under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.
While properly designed X570 coolers of Gigabyte and MSI can run mostly passively.
(which also means fan's failure wouln't be certain catastrophe)

Also for gaming and streaming there's zero sense in big luxury price of PCIe v4.
Adata SX8200 Pro could be found for over £100 less.
Same for Silicon Power P34A80.

And off the charts bat crazy oversizing would make that PSU run at obsolete 80+ standard efficiencies when not gaming.
It would barely reach its best efficiency area under gaming load.
Yeah my exact thoughts hence why I made a revised version of the list that it is more adequate for what they want to do

Associate
Total - 4140 GBP

With regards to the Ram would he not be better off with some of this
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-002-8p.html
The one you listed is very bling but for Ryzen you are better overclocking the 8 PACK to 3733 or 3800mhz at low latencies at 1:1 rather than going for the 4000mhz at more than double the price.

As to the original question about stable X570 motherboard I haven't had a problem with my MSI Meg Ace so far since release.

Soldato
I can only add to the the statistics as I've build 3 systems recently.

R5 3600 + MSI B450 Mortar Max
R7 3700X + MSI B550 Mortar Mag
R9 3900X + Asus X570-F Gaming

No issues with any of them while building or in use and I know the R5 system has been in constant use. I prefer the MSI BIOS. I updated each BIOS but only set the XMP profile otherwise.

Just looking at the X570 chipset temp under CPU + GPU benchmark and its ~60 C but stays around that anyway. I'm using an RX580 temporarily and was looking at an FE nVidia GPU but don't think the fan arrangement will increase this much.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of getting the MSI Mag x570 Tomahawk. It has great rerviews and on top of it seems great value and I won't need to put my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card in it. Hopefully that will help with airflow and space for the RTX 3000 cards.

Soldato
agree the MSI Mag x570 Tomahawk is right at the top of the charts and against much more costly boards no brainer going with it, i plan on getting it to go with zen 3 , only thing I wished it had triple m.2 slots

Soldato
Get the board with all the features you need. Some don't like spending on motherboards but it can often work out cheaper than having to add features at a later date. I've got an Aorus Master X570 which wasn't cheap but it does everything I might need for the next 5-6 years, or more if I'm lucky.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive got ther asus tuf. Nice board and it runs my 32GB Teamgroup 3200Mhz ram at full speed no issue at all.

£200 is the most ive ever spent on a board so ill be sticking with it yet for a good few years.

Soldato
I've got the Taichi, its not awful but RAM overclocking is hit and miss depending on BIOS, cold boot issues, poor fan placement and that stupid USB C header all put it firmly in the could do better class. Also can't get PBO to work properly even this far after release.

The board has been updated, the USB C header is not in same place anymore, also not had any of these problems on a new version of the board which has been selling for a long time so doubt anyone is going to get old stock with the old layout of the USB C etc.

3950x, 64GB 3600Mhz Ram, set xmp profile and all worked and even got the timings down without any issues. Bios version 3.40 their current latest one.

Probably your CPUs IMC or you just have RAM that doesn't work well. Who knows. Mine was a painless build and worked as described.

I was checking the Taichi thread before I purchased the board and from what I could tell it is all the early adopters having some issue and probably using old sticks of RAM and CPUs with poor IMC or they have been pushing silly voltages threw their RAM or CPU or the CPU IMC. Everyone seems to be trying to overclock these CPUs and reality is it's just not worth it and the stock settings are almost perfect so why bother anymore doing that, days of overclocking are almost over for CPUs and GPUs and soon RAM with XMP profiles that are good out of the box, only thing with RAM you would tighten up the timings if required.

Anyways Taichi is great board and asrock has not let me down in the past so I hope it lives a long life like previous boards I had from them. To me was the perfect board with 8 sata and 3 M.2 and Wifi 6 and many usb headers and at the back and a nice VRM, what else could you want ?

Also the South Bridge fan is a none issue when set to silent also can be set to zero in the fan curves and have it kick on at 60c. BUT I would have preferred a X570 without any need for a fan, like any fan it will probably die in the future and will be ordering spares just in case. They are not hard to find the same ones to replace it or even better quality ones. Also future placement of SB needs to be better as right under a GPU was not the smartest thing but most boards from other companies are same issue .. So just a bad design all round so far with x570 SB placement and cooling but reality is by time anything fails the board would have been threw many peoples hands and had a long life.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I revised his build to a Ryzen 7 3700x see here PC partpicker. He has now built the PC now just waiting on Navi or RTX 3080 orders to be in supply. He bought a RTX 2070 2nd hand whilst he waits

Back
Top Bottom