New Car for Commuting

Associate
So I currently have a 2003 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol (MK1 Facelift)

Due to a change in circumstances I now have a 130 mile round trip to work and back every day and blowing through £55 p/w in petrol.

I am trying to reduce my fuel bill and thinking about geting a diesel car with higher MPG for the commute. My focus is currently loud, sounds like the engine stugges and is costing a fortune. Its just not a pleasent drive.

I have around £2000 budget so not huge unfortunately, been looking at something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ed&price-to=2000&maximum-mileage=90000&page=1

What do we think? Anyone have other reccomendations?

Soldato
Less than 10p/mile is pretty good so don't go expecting a huge reduction in fuel costs just because whatever you drive drinks from the black pump.

I'd focus more on what you want from the drive in terms of refinement, kit etc.

Caporegime
I have just started a new job which means I am doing a 70 mile commute per day. This is only until our house is sold and we buy something closer. I am doing this in my Saab 9-5 Aero. Currently averaging 37MPG as I am not driving silly. It's 4 on 4 off so my actually usage per week is pretty low. Circa 10k Miles if I kept it up all year or £1400 in super unleaded. If I could find something similar with 50 MPG I would save £400 a year which would be a gamble as I know the state of my car and one problem on the new diesel would wipe out that saving.

If you are simply buying to have a more comfortable journey I could understand how a MK1 Focus could be annoying and a bigger car better.

Man of Honour
You're not going to reduce the fuel bill that much, run the Focus into the ground if it's comfortable enough.

Which it would seem it isn't:

My focus is currently loud, sounds like the engine stugges and is costing a fortune. Its just not a pleasent drive.

110 miles a day is a lot - it's well worth investing in something that isn't going to drive you mad doing it.

Caporegime
As has been said, you’re spending £2k to save about £10 per week. Unless there is something seriously wrong with the car or it needs very expensive repairs, stick with what you have, a known quantity.

Man of Honour
I think you're all missing the point. With that sort of annual mileage I would absolutely be changing a Mk1 Focus even if it was currently running on free fuel! Having a decent car for this sort of usage will make a huge difference to the quality of the journey.

Caporegime
I think you're all missing the point. With that sort of annual mileage I would absolutely be changing a Mk1 Focus even if it was currently running on free fuel! Having a decent car for this sort of usage will make a huge difference to the quality of the journey.
True, but it’s a balance between spending money to save money, a false economy really, and something that’s better/more comfortable than what he has already.

Volvo’s are very comfortable places to be.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202009063389219

Soldato
True, but it’s a balance between spending money to save money, a false economy really, and something that’s better/more comfortable than what he has already.

As the local Volvo fanboy, I would absolute never recommend a 1.6 DRIVe. Whilst they are economical and provide good emissions values they are awful to drive. That engine is gutless and noisey, with a tiny powerband that requires constant working. More generally, the S40 is also based on the Focus, and is lacking compared to the larger P2 Volvos (S60/V70s) with regards to comfort and NVH.

I'd be looking at Accords, personally, and maybe an Avensis. Cheap entry costs, and good reliability.

Soldato

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202009063389219

Quite. My near 20 year old Volvo S40 is actually a great little thing to drive around. Nice and comfy. A bit devoid of features mind you. It's leaving me next week unfortunately, but it is a great little motor for doing such a commute. But as said above, it'll hardly be different from a similar age Focus. And I am getting about 380 miles to a £55 tank of unleaded, so probably not the way he wants to go if he is getting 550 miles for the same money.

But as a result, I wouldn't hesitate to go for a S/V 60 or similar. I'm sure that would be a much more comfortable place to sit, with similar fuel economy.

Back
Top Bottom