• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX 5700XT won't work with my old desktop, help plz

Associate
Need some experts' advice on my frustrating experience trying to replace my GPU

My desktop set up is:
CPU: Intel i5 - 2500K 3.30 GHz
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4x8GB (9-9-9-24)
PSU: Antec high current Pro 850w
GPU: MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III power edition/OC
System: Win 10 Pro 64bits

Bought a new XFX5700XT Thicc III Ultra and somehow it just won't register with the system. Power will turn on but screen won't lit up, just says "no cable connection".

Researched online and found that the MB should be compatible. Tried other Pcie slots on the MB and won't work either. Switched back to the MSI N570 and things were working again.

Apart from the possibility that the GPU is faulty, any other advice from the experienced PC gurus on the forum?

Many thanks

Last edited:

TrM

TrM

Associate
Have you conected both the 8 pina nd 6 pin power conecters to the card i know its like im asking a silly question but it does require both plugged in

Associate
OP
You tried a different port on the GPU? Are the fans spinning or any lights coming on on the board?
There is only 1 HDMI port on the GPU so no other port to try i'm afraid. When the power pins 8+8 are plugged in, the fan would spin and 2 led lights will turn on near the power connector with blue lights.

As TrM suggested when power pin 8+6 are plugged in, the fan would not spin and 8pin power connector led will lit up in blue, 6pin lit up in red.

based on XFX website Q&A this means the power connection is incorrect.

"Blue Light = Power is connected properly, card will have this blue light under normal operation.

Red Light = Indicates an incorrect power connection. Something is wrong with the way the card is connected with the power supply, the video card will not produce video signal until this is resolved. "

The seller did suggest that it could be that the MB bios/UEFI is out of date so I am gonna give that a try & see how it goes.

Thanks for all your help here, please feel free to leave any further advice you may have.

Cheers

Soldato
What Mobo do you have?

If it has 2 x16 slots you could put both cards in just to see if the XFX5700XT shows up in windows. (Your N570GTX in the first slot used as the display card)

Your PSU should be ok with running these 2 card, particularly as you won't be running them at full load.

Back
Top Bottom