What's the best fan replacement for D14(/clone) you've had?

Associate
No text wall, just please share what you've been playing with and to what results.

Feel free to include other big dual towers such as D15, TC14PE, Olymp, Okeanos, Silver Arrow, etc., just please mention which one, especially if results varied depending on minute differences in heatsink construction vs fan type.

Soldato
Might sound crazy, but why replace it? With newer fans like NF-A14 1500rpm, TY-143, PH-F140HP II it's as good as anything and better than most.

You list only twin towers, but there are several other twin towers as well as some extremely good single towers too like Thermalright LeGrand Macho RT and TRUE Spirit 140 Power new Frost Spirit 140 (twin-tower), Scythe Funa 2 (twin-tower), Mugen 5, ID-Cooling Hunder VC-Twin (twin-tower), Hunter VC-3D, etc.

There is some disagreement over flatness of AMD vs Intel IHS and it's mating to the convex base most coolers have. Cooler manufacturers long ago flowed Thermalright's lead with slightly convex cooler bases and until AMD changed their IHS flatness a couple years ago all was good. Sense then there have been severs AMD owners with Convex IHS having problems getting good seats on convex based coolers. Still most coolers have slightly convex bases. ;)

To really give educated subjections we need to know what case, motherboard and RAM you plan to use, because that effects what coolers will fit.

Associate
OP
Might sound crazy, but why replace it?

Because used naked D14 heatsinks (as well as TC14PE) are cheap where I live. So you could e.g. grab one of those and daisy-chain 3xP14 PWM PST on the CPU and 4th as case exhaust. Or even use my existing pair of hi-speed Silent Wings 3, maybe get a third one. This would be a budget solution before 'D16' or 'U14A' release.

You list only twin towers, but there are several other twin towers as well as some extremely good single towers too like Thermalright LeGrand Macho RT and TRUE Spirit 140 Power new Frost Spirit 140 (twin-tower), Scythe Funa 2 (twin-tower), Mugen 5, ID-Cooling Hunder VC-Twin (twin-tower), Hunter VC-3D, etc.

Yeah, considering all of them in the broader perspective but focusing more narrowly on grabbing a used naked D14/TC14PE heatsink and slapping three fans on it. Also doable with a Fuma 2 (Fuma 1 showed great improvement in acoustics vs temps from adding a third fan), of course, but they're now either out of stock or priced ten quid below D15.

I have a strong emotional attachment to single towers and especially Thermalright (using an Ultra 120 right now on a bolt-through kit from 775), but what I like about dual towers is how you can get the noise down quite a lot by adding a third fan to a greater extent than adding a second fan on a single tower. (However, I do like the way huge single towers with large fin spacing can get away with using just one fan, often a flow one optimized for low rpm, rather than a fast-rotating pressure fan.)

I can actually get a new TSP140 for a very good price (just above fifty quid after conversion), but according to feedback I've got from people who own both LGMRT would be quieter and perhaps more consistent in delivering spectacular performance — however, that's like 40% extra cost (with the demoralizing effect of paying extra cash for 40 TDP less according to Thermalright's stats for both coolers). I'm sure the Macho wouldn't disappoint me, but I'm also looking at alternatives to perhaps find/customize something better.

To really give educated subjections we need to know what case, motherboard and RAM you plan to use, because that effects what coolers will fit.

The case is Enthoo Pro, which has 185mm CPU clearance. RAM is Ripjaws V at 42 mm. Few heatsinks overhang this, but I always check if they do and if the fans can be moved. PH-TC14PE is picture-confirmed to work. The GPU slot is only second on the mobo, so no issues with wide single towers. The CPU is a soldered Intel (9600KF), the next one will probably be some sort of 12700K or whatever the future brings. One special complication is that the case sits under the desk in the corner, so airflow is not ideal, so I still keep an eye on coolers designed not to need too much of it, like Ninja 5 or LGMRT.

For the record, the idea about a dual tower with 3 fans (at a stage when I was mostly comparing LGMRT vs LFII280) came from Overclockers.com's D14 fan swap and Ed Hume's putting 3 SlipStreams on Fuma 1. Much silence was gained from adding a third fan, especially in Ehume's experiment, where he got great temps while staying 1.5 dBA above ambient, which had me totally wowed.

I'm not sure Fuma 2 would react to a third fan similarly (notably Fuma 2 being much quieter than Fuma 1 and even just a little bit quieter than Ninja 5 in certain temperature/load ranges), so I could even actually find a Fuma 1, at about the cost of a naked D14 heatsink, then use the included third pair of fan clips and just buy a third fan.

But the idea I have now is that perhaps slapping a trio of P14s on a massive dual-tower heatsink could produce better results. Or buying a third Silent Wings 3 hispeed for my existing two — where the idea would be to stay on 250 rpm as long as possible in idle/low loads (already largely doable on my Ultra with 2 of them), then 500… but with the assurance of being able to launch a massive 3x1600rpm if truly needed. And this can be needed sometimes in certain games when they turn off saving for 20 minutes, coinciding with the most demanding scenes in the whole game. And sometimes the system decides to update something at just that time.

Not saying the idea is great, though. The obvious downsides are that Noctua is releasing a new dual tower and a new single tower next year (unless delayed) and that the combined cost of a D14 heatsink and 3xP14 / +1 SW3 is essentially equal to the cost of a NIB Ninja 5 or TSP140, of which at least Ninja 5 may well be quieter (if less headroom).

Alternatively, a single tower with a single fan could perhaps be combined with 200–230 front intake and top exhaust, reducing the number of fan motors in the case, as opposed to using a throng of P14s (3 intakes, 3 exhausts, 3 on CPU). Low rpm being low rpm, a dozen motors in the case (including GPU and semi-passive PSU when it ramps up, which I'm not sure it ever does) is still a dozen motors in the case.

What would you suggest trying first?

Soldato
By "used naked D14 heatsinks (as well as TC14PE" do you mean without fans and mount, or just without fans? Used D14 with missing parts is probably better than PH-TC14PE because Noctua support is better so easier to find and get needed mount upgrades. As for fans to use, same as previously said. I think both are good coolers. I've ran both on my rigs. Ran red PH-TC14PE on i7 920 @ 4.3Ghz below 80c, @ 3.9Ghz it never broke 70. Had TY-143 fans on it, but only time they broke 1100-1200rpm was playing 'shock & awe' on visitors by running high load with fans off until CPU reached about 80c, turn them back on and they would hit full 2500rpm for maybe a minute, then start tapering back down to 1100-1200rpm in less than 3 minutes from fan startup. Had TY-143 case fans too so when cooler fans ramped up case airflow matched their demands.

I've played around testing 1x, 2x fans on single towers and 1x, 2x, 3x on twin towers and in a few cases 2x did better than 1 noise to temp. But none were better or enough better to be worth expense of 3rd fan.

I did find was compete system (system in case) that adding / removing fans on cooler often changed case airflow sometimes changing CPU temp 2-3c. Cooler was cooling the same but air temp entering cooler changed with same degree of change in CPU temps.

Enthoo Pro is good case with a couple of good fans included.

Don't remember if Ed Humes testing was based on actual air temp entering cooler / fan or temp of air in room. All in all he did a good job of testing in his reviews, but has quit doing them. :( We used to often exchange info. Good guy to know for sure.

With TRUE Spirit 140 Power fifty quid price it's hard to beat. Problem is short supply tends to push price up some. LeGrand Macho RT is as good as anything out there.

I haven't tested / used Arctic P14 but hear they are decent, especially considering their low price.

Big part of cooling is good case airflow. The closer to room temp the air entering coolers is the lower temps will be .. and the lower fan speeds need to be thus being quieter too. Key is monitoring air temp entering coolers and setting up case and cooler fans to cycle together. Maybe not always at same speeds, but when cooler fan/s speed up case fans have to as well to keep uniform airflow from intake to cooler, thru cooler and out of case

Link below is to basic guide I wrote years ago of how airflow works and how to optimize it in typical tower case. You might find it of interest.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Last edited:
Associate
OP
By "used naked D14 heatsinks (as well as TC14PE" do you mean without fans and mount, or just without fans?

Buy a naked D14 heatsink and buy three P14s or Vortexes or TY14x's. Still cheaper than a D15 and probably better, nope?

Used D14 with missing parts is probably better than PH-TC14PE because Noctua support is better so easier to find and get needed mount upgrades.

Last time I asked, Noctua told me they would be happy to send a bunch of fan clips free of charge, even for 14 cm as opposed to the default 12. That would certainly be better than lazy ghetto strapping. I can ghetto-strap two fans just fine with elastic silicone straps for use with meat in the oven (this is what I'm currently using), but for the middle one of a trio this would obviously not work, or at lest not without some adaptation.

Ran red PH-TC14PE on i7 920 @ 4.3Ghz below 80c, @ 3.9Ghz it never broke 70. Had TY-143 fans on it, but only time they broke 1100-1200rpm was playing 'shock & awe' on visitors by running high load with fans off until CPU reached about 80c, turn them back on and they would hit full 2500rpm for maybe a minute, then start tapering back down to 1100-1200rpm in less than 3 minutes from fan startup. Had TY-143 case fans too so when cooler fans ramped up case airflow matched their demands.

Nice. My idea was to be lazy and repetitive and standardize to the point of buying two P14 PWM PST value packs from Arctic and mounting them 3 for PSU, 1 for rear exhaust (daisy-chained with CPU fans), 2 for top exhaust, 2 for front intake, 1 for bottom intake, perhaps even a vertically mounted one inside the case near GPU fans.

I've played around testing 1x, 2x fans on single towers and 1x, 2x, 3x on twin towers and in a few cases 2x did better than 1 noise to temp. But none were better or enough better to be worth expense of 3rd fan.

Hmm… But Ed Hume is reliable, isn't he? It was his test where Fuma 1 ended up like 1.5 dBA louder than room ambient while keeping good temps, by adding a third fan.

I did find was compete system (system in case) that adding / removing fans on cooler often changed case airflow sometimes changing CPU temp 2-3c. Cooler was cooling the same but air temp entering cooler changed with same degree of change in CPU temps.

Well, for 2C I probably wouldn't want to go on a fan spree, as I suspect a dozen motors even on low rpm could take a heavy toll on the acoustics. Which is why I still consider the alternative idea of just three large case fans and perhaps just one fan on the CPU. I suppose for my office work natural convention would be enough to run the whole rig fanless with Le Grand Macho RT, though it's not like I'm going to the begrudge the 300–400 rpm I reliably can't hear (I can sometimes hear 500-ish, depending on the fan, and the noisier ones sometimes at 300).

Enthoo Pro is good case with a couple of good fans included.

Thanks! Mine came with a good 140cm rear exhaust — don't know which model, and the manual doesn't seem to provide this information. In any case, that's a good fan, inaudible at 800 rpm or so. I remember running it at 900 with all my love of silence. The included 20cm front intake, however, was loud from the beginning and quickly started clicking. That's when I bought my 2x140 Silent Wings 3 hispeeds. However, they were audible at 560 and nasty from 600 up. The sound stopped being coarse at much higher rpms but at that point the brush was too loud for me. As CPU fans, they are much better. I actually have a dual-tower heatsink I could strap them on (and perhaps buy a third), but that's a crappy Gelid Phantom, which would require ghetto mount (more ghetto for the middle one).

Just to give you a fuller picture, I've removed all bays and everything else between the case front and mobo. It's modular like this. Could probably even turn it into a half-decent bare frame.

Don't remember if Ed Humes testing was based on actual air temp entering cooler / fan or temp of air in room. All in all he did a good job of testing in his reviews, but has quit doing them. :( We used to often exchange info. Good guy to know for sure.

Yeah, figured out he was highly esteemed in the community.

With TRUE Spirit 140 Power fifty quid price it's hard to beat. Problem is short supply tends to push price up some. LeGrand Macho RT is as good as anything out there.

German Amazon has a couple at EUR 57 with free delivery, which is roughly GBP 52. Also a Polish site called Morele.net currently has 6 pcs priced PLN 274 each, which is roughly GBP 55, but shipment is not inclued.

LGMRT is GBP 67 shipped.

I'd be ready to pay 15 extra for some more quiet — if needed. Just not sure due to the TSP's mixed results, sometimes overwhelmingly good and sometimes slightly disappointing. I'd definitely be getting the TSP if it reliably, consistently delivered the results the specs suggest, unless, of course, the Macho was quieter.

There's also the option to buy a used Macho Rev. B for like twenty pounds as a temporary measure pending 2021 releases and cheaper than the original interim solution being the D14 heatsink (to use with my Silent Wings 3 or to buy Arctic P14).

I haven't tested / used Arctic P14 but hear they are decent, especially considering their low price.

Last time I checked, they started catching up with the top end of the middle end, but 5-packs are still a huge bargain, for a little over 30 pounds shipped. I might as well just buy them already. But what's holding me back is the possibility I might still go AIO or replace the case with a smaller one or an open frame, hence making most of a bunch of 140mm fans unnecessary.

Big part of cooling is good case airflow. The closer to room temp the air entering coolers is the lower temps will be .. and the lower fan speeds need to be thus being quieter too. Key is monitoring air temp entering coolers and setting up case and cooler fans to cycle together. Maybe not always at same speeds, but when cooler fan/s speed up case fans have to as well to keep uniform airflow from intake to cooler, thru cooler and out of case

Yeah. These days I use 250 rpm on the CPU fans and 0 on case fans for office work and 500 CPU / 250 case fans (230 front intake, 230 top and 140 rear exhaust) based almost on natural convection alone, but in more demanding games this obviously won't be good enough. Actually still have to check. It's been a while since I last played a modern title.

I don't really have much of a way of testing the temps (or is there an , but the unfortunate fact is that my front intakes sit a little more than a foot away from a central heater, which I do use in late autumn and winter months, while the wall behind is colder. Cold even. So I might be one of those few guys for whom reverse flow works better. My idea is, anyway, to overpay on the heatsink and fan quality — if there's something verifiably and reliably better than the Arctics — to compensate for the poor flow as far as I can and just accept what I can't change. This case and this spot can do an inaudible config and has done it before, as long I don't overdo the TDP (a 65W CPU with TRUE and Accelero S3 w/120mm fan on GPU was inaudible no matter the heaviest load). Next time I might also buy a more powerful CPU than I'd normally need.

Link below is to basic guide I wrote years ago of how airflow works and how to optimize it in typical tower case. You might find it of interest.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Thanks, looks like I'll have to get a sensor and do this properly, sigh.

Soldato
Indeed, D14 are still very good coolers.

I suggest not using exhaust fans. Top exhaust fan in front pulls cool air coming in front right out the top, so heated air coming off of GPU moves up mixing with what is left of cool air heating it up before it gets to cooler. Just used front and maybe bottom intakes and block all opening in front half of case not covered by those intakes so the air they are pushing into case cannot leak out around fans and go in circles. We want all intake airflow moving on through case and out. I also remove all unused PCIe slot covers from back for more vent area around GPU. This gives better front to back airflow so moves heated exhaust from GPU back and out of case so it's fans get cooler air .. and every degree cooler air is entering cooler becomes same degrees cooler component is. Problem with both intake and exhaust is balancing intake and exhaust so there is a little more intake airflow than exhaust airflow .. so dust is kept out.

Early Enthoo Pro came with variable voltage fans using SP/XP impeller. Newer case have same motor with MP impeller. Didn't case come with 2x fans? 1 in front and 1 in back?

I like a little airflow through case all the time, so my fans idle at about 500rpm

D15 is better than Macho B

If you worry about quiet, don't use any more fans than necessary. More fans mean more noise.

I've had very good luck with Phanteks PH-F140MP fans. Two pack is £16.26 when in stock.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=ph-tc14pe

Hard to setup reviews airflow. And once you start air moving I'm guessing temps would be similar.

You can se the cheap thermometer I use in that link.

Associate
OP
Indeed, D14 are still very good coolers.

Some folks prefer them to D15. Me, I just don't see enough of a difference to warrant paying twice the money, seeing as they're so close as to be within the margin of error with a slight pointer toward D14 actually being better for performance (though perhaps not compatibility). Good thing you pointed out Noctua's courtesy with the clips, or else I'd be in for some ghetto run with possibly suboptimal results.

I suggest not using exhaust fans. Top exhaust fan in front pulls cool air coming in front right out the top, so heated air coming off of GPU moves up mixing with what is left of cool air heating it up before it gets to cooler.

Yeah. My top has a mesh and filter, so free flow is largely impeded, but the air can still go out the top in a straight vertical column from bottom intakes, before it even reaches the edge of the mobo. This is suboptimal for air cooling, but it's also the reason why I haven't written AIO off yet — if I were to use an AIO, much of the hot air from it would go out the top-front of the case without involving the mobo, GPU or PSU in the process, while the volume of intake (2x140 front, 140+120 bottom) would probably leave enough for GPU as well (where a vertical fan either through PCI slots or before card fans could perhaps help).

There is an easy way to block the top exhausts nearer the front, I think. There is a semi-official set of acoustic mats for the Enthoo Pro that isn't particularly expensive.

I also remove all unused PCIe slot covers from back for more vent area around GPU.

Oh yes. :) Always been doing that too.

Problem with both intake and exhaust is balancing intake and exhaust so there is a little more intake airflow than exhaust airflow .. so dust is kept out.

Dust filters on all intakes for me anyway — and even on top exhaust. Only rear exhaust doesn't have one. :)

Early Enthoo Pro came with variable voltage fans using SP/XP impeller. Newer case have same motor with MP impeller. Didn't case come with 2x fans? 1 in front and 1 in back?

Variable-voltage 140mm for rear exhaust. Variable-voltage or possibly PWM 200mm for intakes. Only got two.

I like a little airflow through case all the time, so my fans idle at about 500rpm

Ideally I'd want that too, though I can usually hear stuff too well for my liking with several motors at 500 rpm.

D15 is better than Macho B

Yeah, at least a little. Probably not twice better. But, the difference in absolute terms isn't worth the bang-for-the-buck optimization and cost saving. And since D14 is basically equivalent to D15, considering heatsinks alone, I guess I'll just go with the D14 if choosing the temporary solution. Or could even make it permanent if it works out well.

If you worry about quiet, don't use any more fans than necessary. More fans mean more noise.

I kinda struggle with the pros and cons of fewer fans at higher rpm vs more fans at lower rpm.

I've had very good luck with Phanteks PH-F140MP fans. Two pack is £16.26 when in stock.

Thanks. Thanks pretty much what I have on my rear exhaust. I still haven't tested it on front intake.

Hard to setup reviews airflow. And once you start air moving I'm guessing temps would be similar.

Probably, yeah. You sweat all day and use up a bunch of consumables only to find out the gain is like one degree Celsius. Not worth it for my old bones. I've been toying with the idea of moving the PC elsewhere in the room, though that means it has to go on a wall or just under the ceiling.

You can se the cheap thermometer I use in that link.

Good.

Soldato
Indeed, D14 has same cooling ability or slightly better than D15 and with a little careful shopping can be for thirty quid. Stock fans are okay, but changing to better fans adds about that much more to the mix.

Pleaser keep us informed of how your P14 fans work out. I know they claim '7 year warranty' but fine print is 10% per year depreciation based on original price means after a couple years warranty is almost worthless.

Few fans disperse air in a column. Dispersion is usually in a large cone with quite a bit of turbulence as well. Indeed we don't want bottom to top airflow because it moves heated air from GPU up into CPU (in common tower cases). Indeed, top venting is good for radiator as exhaust. Most of the time there is no need to block top vents. Just don't use them. Easy way to block if needed is a piece of black paper and maybe a couple bits of tape.

I forgot about the 200mm fan. Worthless piece of dung in my book. I tried using one as a desk fan and it couldn't even do that.

You seem to be heavily into push/pull fan configuration. All testing I've seen show little gain from this stacking of fans, even less when fans have good pressure rating. Stacking fans does not change unrestricted airflow of fans, but does increase their pressure rating. This increase in pressure rating gives fan a greater ability to overcome resistance and maintain more of it's rated airflow. So if you use case and cooler fans with high pressure rating (like P14 2.4mm H2O @ 1700rpm) is higher rating than most, so stacking them has less effect on airflow. Honestly, I've found using good pressure rated intake fans and blocking opens not used buy these intakes in front half of case create very good airflow through and out back of case.

Bit of trivia; ambient noise level of very quiet room is about 22dB, so additional noise 22dB or less is masked over by ambient. So if our case fan/s are idling at 22dB (17dB fan + 5dB grill & filter noise) we won't hear 1 fan at 1 meter. But 2 fans are 25dB and that is 3dB louder than room ambient, so we will heat them. Every additional fan increases fan noise level (up to 16 fans). If we lower fans to say 15dB with filter & grill, then we can have 5 fans running inaudibly.
1x 22dB fan = 22.0dB
2x 22dB fans = 25.0dB
3x 22dB fans = 26.8dB
4x 22dB fans = 28.0dB
5x 22dB fans = 29.0dB
6x 22dB fans = 29.8dB
7x 22dB fans = 30.5dB
8x 22dB fans = 31.0dB
9x 22dB fans = 31.5dB
10x 22dB fans = 32.0dB
12x 22dB fans = 32.8dB
16x 22dB fans = 33.0dB
Macho B is rated 240w TDP. LeGrand Macho RT (equal to or arguably slightly better) is rated 320w TDP. If your CPU puts out more than 240w, thatn 80w TDP difference means system keeps running cool instead of having thermal shutdown. ;) Also, the higher wattage a cooler can cool the less noise it makes compared to lower wattage cooler when cooling same load.

PH-F140MP seem to move more air through grill and filter at lower rpm than most other fans.

I don't sweat over a few degrees, but when building I spend a few days monitoring air temps entering CPU and GPU and adjust fans to supply needed airflow to remain cool and quiet.

Good chat. Please let us know how it all works out.

Associate
OP
Indeed, D14 has same cooling ability or slightly better than D15 and with a little careful shopping can be for thirty quid.

Seen one, missed it. :( The seller had reduced the price, as it only had the Intel brackets, which was all I needed anyway. I prevaricated for some silly reason (indecision most likely) and there it went, gone. :( On the other hand, that was a private seller, whereas those slightly more expensive ones come with a hardware shop's invoice, which is probably safer for asking Noctua for clips.

Stock fans are okay, but changing to better fans adds about that much more to the mix.

Yeah. I'm sure the cooler would still be great as-is. And then there's the matter than separately purchased fans are going to have their cost anyway. So… The end result is that I'm not going to consider a D14 with its own stock fans on its own merits unless the price is like thirty pounds, yup. On the other hand, it looks reasonable as a base heatsink for choosing whatever fans I want.

The alternative, if sticking with Noctua, would be to just write to them to buy a new D15 with a third A15 and third pair of clips. But this is something I'm obviously not going to do when we're months away from 'D16' and A12x25's bigger brother. I could buy that thing and a third of whatever two fans it comes out with and call it a day for air cooling, albeit probably at the price of a good 360 AIO. But air trumps pumps and my ears (labirynths) deserve some loving, if only because I work on this computer and my comfort or fatigue in an addition to just being nasty in its own right translates into some difference in come. So let's say it's probably worth a week's wage or something. Still, if I choose this path, I'm not really going to spend a hundred or so on a temporary solution.

Pleaser keep us informed of how your P14 fans work out. I know they claim '7 year warranty' but fine print is 10% per year depreciation based on original price means after a couple years warranty is almost worthless.

Haha, sounds like a 140mm lawyer getting caught in the PST chain.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna push the button on the purchase. I'm still not decided on using this case vs buying an open frame and putting up somewhere ('somewhere' being the best description), but I'm probably going to keep it also probably not going to go AIO. Which in turn prompts me to buy a smaller case to begin with — so fans could go up right at the edge of the mobo — but let's say I can see different uses for my money than somewhat larger hardware purchases I don't feel sure about. But the cost of a P14 five-pack is something I could justify with just the entertainment value of tinkering with them. Yeah, I probably will. The open frame I've been looking at would accommodate .

Few fans disperse air in a column. Dispersion is usually in a large cone with quite a bit of turbulence as well. Indeed we don't want bottom to top airflow because it moves heated air from GPU up into CPU (in common tower cases). Indeed, top venting is good for radiator as exhaust. Most of the time there is no need to block top vents. Just don't use them. Easy way to block if needed is a piece of black paper and maybe a couple bits of tape.

Or a cat. The top of this case used to be a favourite spot back when I had a taller desk.

I forgot about the 200mm fan. Worthless piece of dung in my book. I tried using one as a desk fan and it couldn't even do that.

NF-A20 gets some enthusiastic reviews, but 1.0 static pressure at audible 800 rpm probably means some crappy fraction if kept below the audible threshold, which is then not going to be enough for my mesh+filters while probably loudish anyway. So yeah, better 2xP14. It looks almost like I end up distrusting the P14s due to their relatively low price. So let's better just test them instead. If I'm not happy, then sooner or later there's gonna be a nicely priced A20 somewhere if only for comparison's sake.

You seem to be heavily into push/pull fan configuration. All testing I've seen show little gain from this stacking of fans, even less when fans have good pressure rating. Stacking fans does not change unrestricted airflow of fans, but does increase their pressure rating. This increase in pressure rating gives fan a greater ability to overcome resistance and maintain more of it's rated airflow. So if you use case and cooler fans with high pressure rating (like P14 2.4mm H2O @ 1700rpm) is higher rating than most, so stacking them has less effect on airflow. Honestly, I've found using good pressure rated intake fans and blocking opens not used buy these intakes in front half of case create very good airflow through and out back of case.

Well, a five-pack will do anyway. Two front, one rear, two CPU, or even one CPU (mid) and one bottom. Or three CPU, front and rear.

Part of the reason I'm into push-pulls is like there's a place for a fan, so if I can stick a fan there, if the effect isn't detrimental and the cost isn't too begin, then I'm gonna go for it. The other part's that I've usually owned not-so-strong single-towers… or rather my TRU/TRUE (don't even know) used to be very powerful with older CPUs even with a single inaudible fan, so I used to promise myself much from a fan swap — only to be disappointed in the end. I do look at reviews and tests, and if those guys claim that e.g. D15s is quieter than D15 by 1dBA while hotter by 1C on a given CPU with a given level of OC and load, then I'm not going to insist on having more than one fan.

Bit of trivia; ambient noise level of very quiet room is about 22dB, so additional noise 22dB or less is masked over by ambient. So if our case fan/s are idling at 22dB (17dB fan + 5dB grill & filter noise) we won't hear 1 fan at 1 meter. But 2 fans are 25dB and that is 3dB louder than room ambient, so we will heat them. Every additional fan increases fan noise level (up to 16 fans). If we lower fans to say 15dB with filter & grill, then we can have 5 fans running inaudibly.
1x 22dB fan = 22.0dB
2x 22dB fans = 25.0dB
3x 22dB fans = 26.8dB
4x 22dB fans = 28.0dB
5x 22dB fans = 29.0dB
6x 22dB fans = 29.8dB
7x 22dB fans = 30.5dB
8x 22dB fans = 31.0dB
9x 22dB fans = 31.5dB
10x 22dB fans = 32.0dB
12x 22dB fans = 32.8dB
16x 22dB fans = 33.0dB​

Thanks! Hmm… That kind of low acoustic output would probably have to come from very low rpms, meaning lower static pressure, so more flow loss from the obstacles. So perhaps reducing the number of fans and just running one or two intakes at the fastest rpm I cannot hear might be the best way.
Macho B is rated 240w TDP. LeGrand Macho RT (equal to or arguably slightly better) is rated 320w TDP. If your CPU puts out more than 240w, thatn 80w TDP difference means system keeps running cool instead of having thermal shutdown. ;) Also, the higher wattage a cooler can cool the less noise it makes compared to lower wattage cooler when cooling same load.

I normally would be fine with 240W, but the Strix Z370-H I'm currently using pending repair of my Aorus 390pro really hates VRMs going above 75C, even though that happens at 125W. So +80W isn't bad to have. The more the merrier. The only advantage of Rev. B in this situation would be its GBP 20-ish price for just the heatsink. But to be honest I'm not going to cry if I get to say goodbye to my Silent Wings3 hispeeds. I do hear some ever so slightly audible vibration or buzz from them even at 500-ish rpm. So I'm not going to hold on too tightly to the idea of reusing them, particularly as I'm sure someone will buy them off me who doesn't care.

PH-F140MP seem to move more air through grill and filter at lower rpm than most other fans.

That's good to know. Oh by the way, Ed Hume has found out GP-14 (Fractal) somehow pulls more through a filter that unobstructed. That's kinda logical given the kind of cases Fractal makes but still quite amazing.

I don't sweat over a few degrees, but when building I spend a few days monitoring air temps entering CPU and GPU and adjust fans to supply needed airflow to remain cool and quiet.

I normally don't either, but I'm reluctant to manually remove the 75C limitation from the Strix, and if it's just the matter of a reasonable amount of money, I'd spend extra on the fans to get more leeway with the curves and thus get more silence. Or a better OC within my acoustic limits.

Good chat. Please let us know how it all works out.

Aight!

Back
Top Bottom