New QNAP QHora-301W WiFi 6 10Gbe Router Revealed

Caporegime
Interesting... QNAP are releasing a high-end WiFi6 router that crushes the Synology RT2600ac, not to mention most mainstream routers out there... https://nascompares.com/2020/09/14/new-qnap-qhora-301w-wifi-6-10gbe-router-revealed/

In the last 2 years, we have seen QNAP develop as a brand that was 100% associated with network-attached storage NAS, into a brand with an incredible range of network hardware and software for both home and business use. It isn’t a huge surprise that a company with a huge range of data storage devices would want to diversify their portfolio with switches, wireless adaptors, network interface cards and now a business class router. The newly revealed QNAP QHora-301W is a rather groundbreaking router in a number of ways, supporting the latest and greatest standard of wireless protocol in Wi-Fi 6, dual 10Gbe network ports that can be used as both traditional LAN and WAN connections, 8 internal antennae and wide spread dual-frequency make this an impressive device indeed. Add to this the silent (fanless) physical design, numerous easy and evolved GUI options, impressive VPN integration and first party SD-WAN deployment (QuWAN) and you can see why I believe the QNAP QHora-301W is a big deal. So let’s find out more about it and whether this first step by QNAP into the router market is a smart one.

The only downside I can see to this router is that QNAP did not wait for WiFi6E... but I'm guessing they just want to get it out there and may release an updated version later. A lot will ride on how good their software support and quality is, an area that Synology have been criticised for with their RT2600ac.

It will be interesting to see how Synology responds to this... they are really overdue an update and I figured, given their long release cycles, that they were also waiting for WiFi 6E.

I think 2021 will be when 10GBe finally goes 'mainstream' (at the higher-end, of course). :)

Caporegime
Ah it's the website of the guy who just reproduces product spec pages and then makes videos where he reads it out and speculates

Caporegime
OP
To be fair QNAP have been crushing Synology for years in terms of hardware.
Very true, though DSM is generally seen as superior to QTS.

Ah it's the website of the guy who just reproduces product spec pages and then makes videos where he reads it out and speculates
Yep, probably the least charismatic guy in the techtubing world... though he does occasionally get good info before other people. :D

Is it possible that WiFi6E will be just a firmware update or does it need a hardware refresh?
It's hardware, unfortunately.

Caporegime
It's possible that people are building Wi-Fi 6 chipsets that support the 6GHz range and then software locking them until the approval goes through. Though with all Wi-Fi standards, don't buy anything under the assumption that it will gain certification later on - there's pre-standard 802.11ac kit out there that never properly worked, and there's also a bunch of very expensive Meraki kit that can't get Wi-Fi 6 certification as it doesn't support the full feature set.

Soldato

Or actually the chap who runs one of the biggest suppliers of NAS boxes in the UK. Yes, in some of his videos he does indeed just talk about devices but his recent series where he went to QNAP UK HQ to test out Pre-release QGD products was very informative. And in most of his videos he does actually have the hardware to unbox and discuss.

Associate
Just bought one, it arrives tomorrow.

Previously went with the Zyxel AX7501-B0...BIG mistake, it’s garbage! Gets really hot, wifi performance is shocking (bit with and without wifi6!) and Zyxel support is non existent.

Lesson learned. This was the first time I’d ever had a Zyxel device and it will certainly be the last.

This device however, looks amazing. Plenty of firmware updates already (Zyxel has none!) and the Qnal brand gives me hope.

Caporegime
OP
Just bought one, it arrives tomorrow.

Previously went with the Zyxel AX7501-B0...BIG mistake, it’s garbage! Gets really hot, wifi performance is shocking (bit with and without wifi6!) and Zyxel support is non existent.

Lesson learned. This was the first time I’d ever had a Zyxel device and it will certainly be the last.

This device however, looks amazing. Plenty of firmware updates already (Zyxel has none!) and the Qnal brand gives me hope.
Nice man let us know how it goes! I am holding off buying anything as WiFi 6E is now finally rolling out (Intel just released their first card the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210), so I will hold out a bit longer until routers start to integrate it.

Associate
Nice man let us know how it goes! I am holding off buying anything as WiFi 6E is now finally rolling out (Intel just released their first card the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210), so I will hold out a bit longer until routers start to integrate it.

I was tempted to hold off but I guess I could integrate wifi6e anyway as I’d want a wired backhaul to other access points (cat7 already in place) so I can just add them into the mix once available.

Wifi6e does seem an exciting move!!

Soldato
You’ll need an access point in every room for WiFi6E. It has absolutely zero wall, floor or door penetration. Other than that it’s going to be properly amazeballs!

QNAP have been pushing at SD-WAN for about 18 months now and this does look like a nice device. It will be interesting to see what Synology come back with. I’m still out of love with QNAP since they shafted all the x31 NAS owners over a dodgy backplane design.

Associate
You’ll need an access point in every room for WiFi6E. It has absolutely zero wall, floor or door penetration. Other than that it’s going to be properly amazeballs!

QNAP have been pushing at SD-WAN for about 18 months now and this does look like a nice device. It will be interesting to see what Synology come back with. I’m still out of love with QNAP since they shafted all the x31 NAS owners over a dodgy backplane design.

Failed at the first hurdle: the supplier did not even have stock! They said they did, I paid then they told me it’s end of month. Shocking!

Back
Top Bottom