new cpe to replace my nanostation loco m2

Soldato
im after something with more speed to replace my ubiquiti nanostation loco m2 which runs on 2.4ghz band.
current setup is ubiquiti power ap n, upstairs being used as a wifi access point, the nanostation loco m2 is downstairs and links to the power ap-n upstairs. this link is 802.11n 2x2 on 2ghz band. link rate is full speed 130mbps and i get around 7megabytes per second on transfers.
the nanostation loco m2 is connected to a switch downstairs that connects to the tv, nvidia shield tv and games console.
id have a super hub2ac which is used for 5ghz wifi and was wondering if there is something i can use to replace the nanostation that would do 3x3 ac on 5ghz band so i can get some mega speed boost.

any options that are not too expensive?

Caporegime
If you want a 'mega speed boost' then find a way to run a cable between the floors and enjoy a full duplex gigabit link now, and 10Gbps in the future.

You could look at a MikroTik Wireless Wire, but unless the link is to a floor directly above the other and there's only a ceiling and floorboard in the way then I wouldn't expect it to provide much of a speed increase.

Soldato
OP
Yes its directly the room above ceiling and floorboard in the way thats all.
Next time i change carpet in the room i will run a wire but for now wifi it is.
Will look into that mikrotik option.

Soldato
That mikrotik option is too pricey to be feasible. Guess i need to hunt down an ac version of the nanostation

The Mikrotik Wireless Wire is the full 1Gbps (like a wired connection) should be ~£100+VAT for both ends of the link (£50+VAT each) and even with a Window or wall in the way you should see a massive speed boost over 2.4 GHz Nanostations.

Soldato
OP
Done some proper investigation on these and found out from reports that it wont work for me. 60ghz needs direct line of sight. Even 1 plaster board sheet inbetween the 2 units killed speed off to dial up modem rates and kept disconnecting.
Dunno how far powerline ethernet has evolved but would still prefer to run cable. Maybe if i get photos up peeps can get ideas on how i could run a wire. New carpet so dont want to rip it up

Soldato
Done some proper investigation on these and found out from reports that it wont work for me. 60ghz needs direct line of sight. Even 1 plaster board sheet inbetween the 2 units killed speed off to dial up modem rates and kept disconnecting.
Dunno how far powerline ethernet has evolved but would still prefer to run cable. Maybe if i get photos up peeps can get ideas on how i could run a wire. New carpet so dont want to rip it up

Well, they obviously didn’t tell Mikrotik because they’re supplied with stands for use indoors. Do you have a link to this test with the plasterboard sheet?

Back
Top Bottom