just bought a 75in 4k from Lg and realised my amp is hdmi 1.4...

UEX

UEX

Associate
Can anyone recommend an affordable upgrade? Im not an audiophile i bough a yamaha RX-V775 years ago and its been great, but im finally ditching 1080p for 4k hdr10

The TV is the LG 75UM7050

Its going to be used with a media PC running a 1080ti, a PS4 Pro a nintendo switch and a PS5 eventually.

i have 5 speakers and a sub they are from Monitor audio the speakers say they are Vector 10's

Primary viewing is via a PLEX media server (running on a fairly high end server) and game consoles as well as streaming services. No blu ray no regular TV.

Saw a 5.1 yamaha on the jungle for 199 which was very reasonable and had all 4k60 hdmi2.0 passthrough.

What i care about is HDR properly getting to the telly aswell as obviously support for 4k at the TV rated speed of 50Hz

Please help me gurus!

Soldato
My LG B9 has the option to pass through audio though optical even if the tv is on mute. I use the native apps on the tv including plex/netflix/amazon then optical out back to the amp. 4k sources directly to the tv then anything 1080p or upscaled direct through the amp.

Soldato
My LG B9 has the option to pass through audio though optical even if the tv is on mute. I use the native apps on the tv including plex/netflix/amazon then optical out back to the amp. 4k sources directly to the tv then anything 1080p or upscaled direct through the amp.
Is it an old receiver or something, I just set mine to TV and the audio comes via the HDMI. Why go to the effort of an optical cable which then means you also miss out on HDMI control and High Res audio.

Soldato
Is it an old receiver or something, I just set mine to TV and the audio comes via the HDMI. Why go to the effort of an optical cable which then means you also miss out on HDMI control and High Res audio.

I've not tried ARC on my amp, it's a SC-LX86 and just assumed I'd get a more stable connection with optical. I'll give ARC a shot.

UEX

UEX

Associate
OP
See ARC and optical as options was my backup, i didnt really think that would be the general answer :) :) although i do appreciate the penny conscious nature. Ill give arc a shot but im not gonna have enough HDMI long term if im losing one of the 3 available to audio, even with all three and feeding the audio back via optical ill be 1 short so will prob need to upgrade amp in the end!

Soldato
See ARC and optical as options was my backup, i didnt really think that would be the general answer :) :) although i do appreciate the penny conscious nature. Ill give arc a shot but im not gonna have enough HDMI long term if im losing one of the 3 available to audio, even with all three and feeding the audio back via optical ill be 1 short so will prob need to upgrade amp in the end!
ARC uses the output TV hdmi so your not losing any.

UEX

UEX

Associate
OP
ARC uses the output TV hdmi so your not losing any.
Eh? Yes you are because there are 3 hdmi in the TV so you could have say PC/PS4pro/PS5 but if you have to use ARC then one of those goes to AMP. The only way you arent losing one is if you watch actual TV (grandpa dont need DTS) or if you use built in streaming apps which (might) be fine but wouldnt remove the need for the PC hookup for gaming steam streaming etc but i do appreciate your thinking

Soldato
Eh? Yes you are because there are 3 hdmi in the TV so you could have say PC/PS4pro/PS5 but if you have to use ARC then one of those goes to AMP. The only way you arent losing one is if you watch actual TV (grandpa dont need DTS) or if you use built in streaming apps which (might) be fine but wouldnt remove the need for the PC hookup for gaming steam streaming etc but i do appreciate your thinking
But you're ps4 and what not would still go via the amp surely.
I have ps4, switch, fire TV all through the amp, if I got anything 4k only that would need to go via the TV instead.

Soldato
Just tried ARC on my setup, audio kept cutting out probably down to a cheap 4k HDMI lead. Other issue I had is the LG B9 only had the option for internal speaker OR ARC, not both at the same time, but using optical it can drive both without switching, just have to mute whichever source I don't want to use.

Soldato
OP - As others have said just use ARC, no need for an inferior optical cable.

Just tried ARC on my setup, audio kept cutting out probably down to a cheap 4k HDMI lead. Other issue I had is the LG B9 only had the option for internal speaker OR ARC, not both at the same time, but using optical it can drive both without switching, just have to mute whichever source I don't want to use.

I think you are right (its a cheap HDMI cable), I've got the same TV (LGB965) and eARC works really well (with ATMOS and Plex on my Shield or inbuilt TV App), although I did buy new HDMI cables...

TV
HDMI 1 - Nvidia Shield (directly into the TV to maintain Dolby Vision as my AMP doesn't support this, but can receive ATMOS via eARC)
HDMI 2 - eARC channel, Sky Q is plugged into the AMP (as it doesn't support Dolby Vision) - can also access the AMP's other HDMI sources
HDMI 3 - XBOX X
HDMI 4 - PC

All work in either HDR or Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Edit - If my AMP isn't on the TV auto switches to internal speakers, or mutes the internal speakers if the AMP is connected.

UEX

UEX

Associate
OP
Just wanted to come back and say, you were all right, also what i didnt realise is that the "fairly high end PC" would be the least capable part of the setup, really chugs even trying to do 4k you tube :/ im guessing its the 4770k which is a bit old but im kinda shocked it cant do any 4k when the Tv's built in stuff can. Im basically using all the TV apps and the PS4 pro audio goes back to amp fine surround sound seems to work too, all good!

Associate
Just wanted to come back and say, you were all right, also what i didnt realise is that the "fairly high end PC" would be the least capable part of the setup, really chugs even trying to do 4k you tube :/ im guessing its the 4770k which is a bit old but im kinda shocked it cant do any 4k when the Tv's built in stuff can. Im basically using all the TV apps and the PS4 pro audio goes back to amp fine surround sound seems to work too, all good!

It's not your PC, I'm using a 3470 and a gtx970, very similar tv. You're probably using VLC which doesn't handle 4k well due to the codecs, I downloaded a free app mpc-hc runs 4k fine.

4k youtube in chrome is fine too, everything is 60hz.

Make sure you're using the 60hz hdmi port on the LG, I made that mistake.

Back
Top Bottom