Business FTTP choice in residential property

Associate
I live in a flat in a development. I'm currently with plusnet (FTTC) who have been fine but do not seem to offer anything beyond around 55Mbps. FTTP was recently introduced here. I'm told by the development that there are two providers - BT and Zen (not sure why there are only two?). I've looked at both home and business FTTP options from both providers. I'm thinking of getting a business plan as I can pay it from my company account as a business expense (I'm a limited company contractor). Just wanted to ask for opinions about BT vs Zen. From everything I've read and seen Zen seems to have more expensive tariffs but is also anecdotally said to have better support and fewer issues. Even the estate manager and concierge have recommended Zen over BT saying that it's a more reliable connection. Any reason not to go for Zen here? Zen also gives me the option not to have a landline though I'm a little nervous about not having one in case my mobile has issues. Anyone brave enough to go without a landline these days especially now that we're all wfh? :)

Man of Honour
You can’t claim the entire cost of the broadband as it’s also used for personal purposes, unless you get a dedicated second line.

Associate
OP
You can’t claim the entire cost of the broadband as it’s also used for personal purposes, unless you get a dedicated second line.

That wasn't my question lol but yes there seems to be much ambiguity with this point. I have discussed it at length with my accountant and others who've done the same. Given the WFH situation and the backing of my accountant I've decided to go ahead with it and bear the risk. This is similar to browsing the web at work for example which constitutes insignificant use.

Associate
We had FTTP with BT for 3 years, it was fine, no issues.
Not really sure how one company can be better, as they use Openreaches network regardless.
Whilst all CPs will use the same Openreach copper/fibre from user premises to exchange, from the exchange to the WWW they will use different backhaul networks, eg BT Wholesale, TalkTalk wholesale, Sky, Vodafone (ex Cable Wireless) etc. So yes, performance can/does vary between different CPs (ISPs).

Associate
OP
Did a developer build a flat in London without inviting Hyperoptic or Community Fibre in? Happens far too often.

To answer your question, BT and Zen are both fine. TalkTalk Business also offer FTTP, prices are here https://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/products/business-broadband-and-fibre/ultrafastfibre/

Hyperoptic is definitely not available. BT and Zen are. I was told yesterday that all providers listed on https://www.openreach.com/ should be available. Though oddly I've noticed some providers offering slower max speeds and others faster max speeds which has left me wondering why. Any ideas? BT and Zen are offering gigabit speeds.

Back
Top Bottom