Cycling - lights suggestion

Soldato
Hi all,

I've managed to lose 2 stone over lockdown but it's slowed right down so looking at getting back out on my bike.

It's been a couple of years now but loved doing it before. It's a btwin Triban 5 if I remember correctly.

Anyway, looks like one of the kids borrowed by front light for camping/yurting and we're now unable to find it. It was a decent light too and I prefer going out late in the evening or very early in the morning.

So, looking for something cheap but decent from Amazon that is waterproof and got a couple of hours+ per charge as I'm never out longer than that. Don't want anything too expensive as if my other light turns up i'll be using that too so maybe £20 max for a front light.

Any suggestions?

Man of Honour
I just ordered a pair off ebay that looked good. Knowing a thing or two about torches the Cree LEDs in these are good and high powered (if a little too high powered lol and will dazzle drivers if angled incorrectly). This is the one I bought for night riding:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bright-1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

IMO that's all that's needed, an IPX rated pair of lights.

I've also got CATEYE orb for the front for dusk riding. For £8 or so they're fairly inexpensive with long battery life. and keeps the cockpit tidy.

Associate
I've recently purchased a Cateye Ampp 400, though mainly for use a DRL so I've not tried it as a light to see with at dawn / dusk (I've got an Exposure Strada for "proper" night illumination). 400 lumens and close to budget at £23 though:

https://www.merlincycles.com/cateye-ampp-400-usb-rechargeable-front-light-163405.html

Recently got one of these and now use the drl feature a lot, can't put any stats behind whether it helps or not, inclined to think it does. Used high power when on night ride on unlit roads last week and was fine but battery life isn't awesome. Debating buying another for easy swaps in and out with one always charged before a ride or getting something with better life.

Man of Honour
The one I linked above arrived today. Quality seems good and put the water resistance to the test by washing them under the tap and no issues, so the IPX rating holds up and will have no issues in rain. The front light has 3 static modes and 3 flashing modes. Battery indicator on top and the brightness certainly seems to live up to the 1200 lumen claim as I have dedicated Cree 900-1500 lumen torches and it's up there with them. The bracket is also sturdy and the silicone band is similar in quality to the CATEYE stuff.

All in all great for the price. Just charging by USB right now.

USB%20light%20rear%20-%2020200918_132309.jpg
USB%20light%20front%20-%2020200918_132757.jpg

Soldato
OP
The one I linked above arrived today. Quality seems good and put the water resistance to the test by washing them under the tap and no issues, so the IPX rating holds up and will have no issues in rain. The front light has 3 static modes and 3 flashing modes. Battery indicator on top and the brightness certainly seems to live up to the 1200 lumen claim as I have dedicated Cree 900-1500 lumen torches and it's up there with them. The bracket is also sturdy and the silicone band is similar in quality to the CATEYE stuff.

How are they in the dark?

thinking of just ordering a couple and if they aren't as bright as I'd like I could run 2 at once, or keep one as a backup of one dims while out.

Man of Honour
How are they in the dark?

thinking of just ordering a couple and if they aren't as bright as I'd like I could run 2 at once, or keep one as a backup of one dims while out.

The rears in the £11 set off ebay? If so then very bright and you will have no problem being seen. They are bright enough to illuminate stuff behind as well so quite useful if you're backing the bike up into a shed in the dark or something when returning home etc.

Bike is locked away at the moment but I will be out riding Friday night and Sunday before sunrise so can get a clearer shot of the brightness if you need, but for now here are a couple of rough phone clips from the weekend here and here

Ignore the front light there in the riding clip, that's the CATEYE.

Soldato

Mrk, thanks for the little review.

I purchased the same unit on the back of your comments in preparation for cross country evening rides when the clocks go back.

I went out in my back garden (which is quite long) one evening and the throw and spread of the beam was very impressive for the cost!

My only complaint is the sliding mechanism on the bracket is extremely tight, to a point where when I need to charge it, it's probably easier to remove the silicone band and remove the light with bracket attached.

Man of Honour
No probs!

I too found the sliding bracket tight but after I removed and attached it about 5 times the bracket has loosened, guess the slider just needed the plastic to flex a bit or something but now it locks in easy and slides out easy too. But as you say it's easy enough just to remove the silicone ring as it's so quick to do that if the bracket is still tight.

Caporegime
Are the 3 light versions any better? Ie the ones that have a spread beam and focused beam?

I'm guessing the main thing is getting a t6 led?

Need lights too now. It's too dark in the evenings

Man of Honour
16 LED? Got a link?

No need for multiple LEDs, a single Cree LED is more than powerful for even caving expeditions. NO need for zoom heads either. I was riding in the rain around 10PM last night and the £11 one talked about above was excellent at lighting up the path way ahead with enough spill to keep things either side visible too. Essentially you only need 1 front light with a single LED. If it has brightness modes then that's better as you can save battery life as cannot imagine anyone needing say a full 1000 lumens+ on a normal bike ride at night lol.

Caporegime
16 LED? Got a link?

No need for multiple LEDs, a single Cree LED is more than powerful for even caving expeditions. NO need for zoom heads either. I was riding in the rain around 10PM last night and the £11 one talked about above was excellent at lighting up the path way ahead with enough spill to keep things either side visible too. Essentially you only need 1 front light with a single LED. If it has brightness modes then that's better as you can save battery life as cannot imagine anyone needing say a full 1000 lumens+ on a normal bike ride at night lol.

That wasn't a typo. I think those cree leds are t6?

To be honest I've no idea how much light I need for night cycling. I've neve done it .

The one I was looking at were
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202919276224
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313205119765
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402325836954

They obviously have two of those batteries in

Man of Honour
Ahhh t6, read that as 16 LED lol.

Yeah the extra bulbs will light up more around you but will use more juice unless there's a bigger battery which also means a bigger light. Get a cheap one first and see how it fares for your uses? If you need brighter then keep the cheap one kicking around as a spare as you can never have too many backups. A couple of people have now bought that £11 set and so far all of us have had a positive experience. I like these type of ones because of the silicone wrap that holds the light holder onto the bar, saves having to clamp plastic things and tighten nuts etc and is super quick to remove completely for cleaning or storage.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom