FTTP move from BT to TalkTalk

Soldato
Currently with BT on their 150Mb FTTP package which is coming up for renewal at the end of an 18 month contract. Weighing up options and looks like TalkTalk and BT are the only ones available.

Chatting with BT their prices for existing customers are higher than new customers and they seem unwilling to budge. Although haven’t gone through to retentions so maybe they’ll have deals.

However, TalkTalk are offering two Future Fibre packages;
150Mb for £35
500Mb for £40
Both with first month free.

Whereas BT want;
150Mb £57
500Mb £57 (special deal apparently)
900Mb £58

Not entirely sure how their prices are so much higher. The question is; has anyone switched from BT to TalkTalk on their FTTP offering. How do you find the performance and reliability? I’m assuming it’s just a different provider but ultimately OpenReach so should be fairly similar? The TalkTalk 500 seems a no brainer but equally don’t want to have an unreliable service. I’d love the 900 BT package but it’s way overkill and the 500 is probably the best bang for buck.

Be great to hear from anyone who has done the switch or any Talk Talk Future Fibre customers.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
OP
Good shout on Sky - they can also offer the 150Mb package for £35. Albeit no scope for anything quicker, should it be required - was quite fancying the 500Mb package. Although 150Mb is plenty.

@dasyad are you up and running with Sky? How do you find the service?

I’m just not sure where the differences lie between the different providers on FTTP? Is it all the same and the only difference is who you pay for it?

Soldato
OP
I’ll see if they’ll price match their own new customer deal. Although I wouldn’t mind paying £10 more for TalkTalk. Assuming the same level of service but just don’t know what the fundamental differences are between FTTP OpenReach providers

Soldato
I’ll see if they’ll price match their own new customer deal. Although I wouldn’t mind paying £10 more for TalkTalk. Assuming the same level of service but just don’t know what the fundamental differences are between FTTP OpenReach providers

TalkTalk are the worst ISP I've had the pleasure of using. Was a while ago but I vowed to never go back to them. Not sure why you'd want to pay a premium to use them!

Soldato
Yeah I’ve heard TalkTalk are pretty bad but wasn’t sure if it was isolated to just their FTTC packages?

The internet coming to your house will be similar/the same as it's run through the openreach network.

But as a company I'd stay away from TalkTalk personally.

Speak to the BT options team they should be able to see that deal I posted. Say you saw on one of their adverts that they boasted never paying more than a new customer as well.

I am currently on that package so it definitely exists, and new customers can buy it. If they really won't match it then you can threaten to move away.

Associate
I managed to get the full 900 package for £55/month by phoning up and saying that price was available to new customers. They had to put it through by raising a complaint (on price) which then had to be approved by a manager but this was just a formality. It's a 24 month contract. For approximately £7/week (or a couple of takeaway coffees) it's been worth it for the extra speed.

Associate
OP,
I recently signed up to TalkTalk's FTTP 900 service as an additional line to my BT FTTP 300 service. I have the 4 port Openreach ONT so can have multiple FTTP lines running simultaneously on the same fibre. No issues with the TalkTalk service, seeing full line speeds 24/7. Talktalk have a separate UK based support team for their FTTP services so you won't be dealing with overseas support for any billing or technical FTTP queries.

HTH :)

Associate
The internet coming to your house will be similar/the same as it's run through the openreach network.
Sorry, not quite true. Whilst the cabling from exchange to home will be all Openreach, different ISPs can use different backhaul networks from exchange to the internet which can/does have an affect on performance. Eg BT Wholesale, TalkTalk Wholesale, Vodafone/Cable & Wireless, Sky, Zen, Orbital just to name some.

Soldato
OP
I managed to get the full 900 package for £55/month by phoning up and saying that price was available to new customers. They had to put it through by raising a complaint (on price) which then had to be approved by a manager but this was just a formality. It's a 24 month contract. For approximately £7/week (or a couple of takeaway coffees) it's been worth it for the extra speed.

That’s useful to know that you can get BT to reduce their prices. I mean I’d love 900 albeit that it’s way beyond what we’d need but when’s that ever been an issue.

OP,
I recently signed up to TalkTalk's FTTP 900 service as an additional line to my BT FTTP 300 service. I have the 4 port Openreach ONT so can have multiple FTTP lines running simultaneously on the same fibre. No issues with the TalkTalk service, seeing full line speeds 24/7. Talktalk have a separate UK based support team for their FTTP services so you won't be dealing with overseas support for any billing or technical FTTP queries.

HTH :)

That’s really reassuring to hear on both the line and UK support, exactly as I’d of hoped. Unfortunately 500 is the max they can offer at the moment, although not sure why as BT can offer 900. How much do you pay for 900 package as not seen any pricing?

Associate
I'm with TalkTalk Business on FTTP 900/115 but other than having a static IP address, technically the connection is the same as TalkTalk residential FTTP. I'm paying £59.99/m (+vat) for this but I understand TalkTalk Residential will be selling the same package for £49.99/m (inc vat). It should be available on TTR very soon and they should let you upgrade to this later on, if you were to take out 500 Mbps now.

Associate
Good shout on Sky - they can also offer the 150Mb package for £35. Albeit no scope for anything quicker, should it be required - was quite fancying the 500Mb package. Although 150Mb is plenty.

@dasyad are you up and running with Sky? How do you find the service?

I’m just not sure where the differences lie between the different providers on FTTP? Is it all the same and the only difference is who you pay for it?

Services go live on 5th October, I did have to call them about the order and the customer service was completely fine. Only mild annoyance is that they tried to sell me a TV package but I declined and they didn’t push it further. Overall so far so good. Contract is 18 months as well rather than 24.

See if you can get BT to match their own pricing over at https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240

150Mbps for £30/month. Only negative is 24 month contract which seems to be becoming the norm.

Oh that’s quite annoying they’re doing it for £29.99 a month, when I checked before ordering with Sky it was £31.99 for the 74/20 package. Wonder if Sky going live with FTTP has prompted the pricing change?

Soldato
Services go live on 5th October, I did have to call them about the order and the customer service was completely fine. Only mild annoyance is that they tried to sell me a TV package but I declined and they didn’t push it further. Overall so far so good. Contract is 18 months as well rather than 24.

Oh that’s quite annoying they’re doing it for £29.99 a month, when I checked before ordering with Sky it was £31.99 for the 74/20 package. Wonder if Sky going live with FTTP has prompted the pricing change?

Not sure that offer has been up for at least a couple of months now.

Associate
It’s odd because if I go to the BT web site and click on deals it shows the worse pricing, only shows the better pricing if I go specifically to that link. No wonder I didn’t see it when I checked! Why can’t they just be transparent and put their best price up clearly.

Associate
But I’m looking as a new customer so no loyalty involved. Wonder how that link got out there, wonder if it was an email campaign. Either way need to think about potentially cancelling the Sky order and going with BT instead at that price...

Associate
Sorry to de-rail the thread, but I spoke to Sky and whilst they couldn’t the match the BT deal they were able to give me bill credit to get me to an effective monthly cost of £31 which I think is fair enough and saves the hassle of cancelling and returning equipment.

Back
Top Bottom