EFL clubs set to lose £200M

Soldato
Should get help from premier League, FIFA imo. It's okay saying clubs are run badly which I agree they are but no club regardless of level has plans in place for a pandemic

No club should have to help another. I completely disagree with that. Simply put it isnt their responsibility.

Soldato
The arts and theatre are also a business, they got a bailout. Bars and restaurants are also businesses...we got a month dedicated to "eat out to help out".

Whilst true, most actors/singers chefs/barman aren't on high 5-figure / low 6-figure annual salaries.

Soldato
Whilst true, most actors/singers chefs/barman aren't on high 5-figure / low 6-figure annual salaries.

I bet the owners are....i bet some are multi millionaires. I know a number of businessmen in Liverpool who are millionaires for eg. All have taken advantage of the various schemes.

At the end of the day a business is a business. You cant just not help one sector because you dont like it.

Soldato
I bet the owners are....i bet some are multi millionaires. I know a number of businessmen in Liverpool who are millionaires for eg. All have taken advantage of the various schemes.

At the end of the day a business is a business. You cant just not help one sector because you dont like it.

Yep some will be, but the support is more aimed at workers of those industries rather than the owners.

Of course you can help one sector over another. You go for the sectors where real workers are struggling. No-ones going to have any sympathy for a L1/L2 footballer who's not earning his full 75-150k a year.

So if the government were to offer financial aid to the players, but only in the form of 2.5k a month (CJRS cap) that would still be a long way short of their typical salaries. Which comes down to what the running man said in post 4, perhaps now is the time that a lot of the players take a sizeable salary reduction.

Soldato
Yep some will be, but the support is more aimed at workers of those industries rather than the owners.

Of course you can help one sector over another. You go for the sectors where real workers are struggling. No-ones going to have any sympathy for a L1/L2 footballer who's not earning his full 75-150k a year.

So if the government were to offer financial aid to the players, but only in the form of 2.5k a month (CJRS cap) that would still be a long way short of their typical salaries. Which comes down to what the running man said in post 4, perhaps now is the time that a lot of the players take a sizeable salary reduction.

Ok well how about we help get people through the turnstiles then? How can they possibly justify having people waltz into wetherspoons getting absolutely blitzed inside yet a league one club can have 33 percent crowds for 90 -120 minutes?

Its an absolute load of nonsense im afraid. Its all aimed to help their mates out in the horeca sector...thats simply it.

The furlough scheme has already been offered to footballers...the difference is the clubs havent had subsidised ticket prices or similar like eat out to help out.

Soldato
Ok well how about we help get people through the turnstiles then? How can they possibly justify having people waltz into wetherspoons getting absolutely blitzed inside yet a league one club can have 33 percent crowds for 90 -120 minutes?

Its an absolute load of nonsense im afraid. Its all aimed to help their mates out in the horeca sector...thats simply it.

The furlough scheme has already been offered to footballers...the difference is the clubs havent had subsidised ticket prices or similar like eat out to help out.

I definitely don't disagree with you there. Stadiums are huge places, you could easily implement one-way systems around the stands, insist fans wear face masks, and limit capacity to 33% and still be as "covid-secure" as other business premises.

Soldato
No club should have to help another. I completely disagree with that. Simply put it isnt their responsibility.
I get it's a business but if multiple clubs and leagues go bust it not good for the sport itself is it?

I do feel though especially the big clubs and some of championship clubs fans in grounds is possible just not a max capacity, one way system and ensure spread out with 3-5 chaos between people as all stadiums have more than one way out

Caporegime
I’d hope that the government would have better things to spend money on. I suppose if I gave a monkeys about football at any level I might think differently.

Football is a business like many other sports. It shouldn’t be singled out for special treatment.

Let them go under tbh. Hardly a necessary part of life at the moment and they're not alone in falling on hard times.

Keeping public services and health running is the priority.

Soldato
Let them go under tbh. Hardly a necessary part of life at the moment and they're not alone in falling on hard times.

Keeping public services and health running is the priority.
I don't think any one disagrees with that but there is still people who work at these clubs that don't play football on normal wages who will be impacted

Health and public services are more important but if that can be helped and other sectors why shouldn't elsewhere be helped?

Soldato
I get it's a business but if multiple clubs and leagues go bust it not good for the sport itself is it?

I do feel though especially the big clubs and some of championship clubs fans in grounds is possible just not a max capacity, one way system and ensure spread out with 3-5 chaos between people as all stadiums have more than one way out

Yes but then it isn't Pizza huts responsibility to save Pizza Express...now i get what you're saying but it simply isn't say Liverpool's responsibility whilst we've been balancing books for years to save say Bolton who have been run horrendously. Just like when Bury went under before the pandemic...it isn't anyone but the EFL / FA or that individual clubs responsibility.

Caporegime
not likely, they will just take their services to other countries paying top whack and the EPL will end up looking like the Australian football league full of over the hill players signed up to perth glory................

Pretty sure no teams in Europe second league pay as much as the Championship or for that matter the Premier league.

Hence why players like Jesse all in lingard never get offers from real sociedad etc

That's why bayern munich have a wagebill of £160m and man utd £329m

Sevilla's wage bill like £50m. .

Soldato
I definitely don't disagree with you there. Stadiums are huge places, you could easily implement one-way systems around the stands, insist fans wear face masks, and limit capacity to 33% and still be as "covid-secure" as other business premises.

Personally i think the worry is more whst happens before and after the games how all those people get to and from the ground

you will inevitably have crowds

Associate
OP
How does that translate to average salaries for players though?
You were pretty close.

The median wage in League One was £2,650 pw. So somewhere in the region of £130-140K if my mental maths is right. This is based on the season 2018/19

The median ranged from Rochdale with a medial wage of £1,824 to Sunderland with a wopping £12,394. Sunderland I think were still benefitting from the final year of their Premiership parachute payment.

Man of Honour
Personally i think the worry is more whst happens before and after the games how all those people get to and from the ground

you will inevitably have crowds

Which is why all this needs handling from the top down - there is nothing unsurmountable about that (especially if the pubs are closed by the time the games finish, etc.). no ticket sales on the day, staggered intake and exit times, etc. etc. obviously going to be some issues with regard to public transport - but again not insurmountable if we actually approach this as a country with some joined up thinking and people willing to adapt a little so as to keep the things they enjoy going.

EDIT: The company I work for has managed to nail procedures and organisation like this internally, with so far good results, so I don't know why it is so hard for the country at large and government, etc.

Caporegime
I’d hope that the government would have better things to spend money on. I suppose if I gave a monkeys about football at any level I might think differently.

Football is a business like many other sports. It shouldn’t be singled out for special treatment.

Haha. Football is no different to hospitality yet they have gotten help. I very rarely go out and drink yet have no qualms with the government helping them out.

Associate
OP
Haha. Football is no different to hospitality yet they have gotten help. I very rarely go out and drink yet have no qualms with the government helping them out.

Good point. Stimulus spending from the government has nothing to do with the worthiness of the industry supported but is about economics, and as industries go football is pretty big.

Man of Honour
What a mess

Dunno what is so hard about organising things so that games can be played in appropriate venues (even if that means supporting smaller clubs), pre-paid tickets only, staggered intake and exit times based on ticket details, public transport organised around the matches to reduce spread, etc. sure it needs everyone involved from council/government level down pulling together... but not like it is insurmountable or if done properly will contribute in any significant way to the spread of the disease and probably less so than if people were spending the time in alternative environments (unless fully isolating at home).

The value of football economically to this country is immense so worth it.

Don
Yep, it's crazy that you cannot watch a football game, where it's far easier to enforce social distancing, you're mainly outside and are able to keep track on exactly who is there, but going to bars and restaurants is fine.

Man of Honour
Yep, it's crazy that you cannot watch a football game, where it's far easier to enforce social distancing, you're mainly outside and are able to keep track on exactly who is there, but going to bars and restaurants is fine.

I think a lot of the problem is you have a range of clubs - some with suitable facilities and some not - and no one wants to organise around that and if necessary support some of the smaller clubs being able to use appropriate facilities for their match days.

Back
Top Bottom