• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Let's face it, it doesn't have the power to do 4k 120 in a lot of titles.

Indeed, but I’d happily take 1440p120 over 4k60 in any title.

The resolution increase provides marginal improvements but 120fps is transformative.

When you say people, that's the official xbox channel.

Someone still chose to make that instead of providing a list.

Associate
Will buy a Series S when Fable arrives.

Only game that remotely interests me, curious to see what Playground do with it.
Fable 3 tainted the Fable brand for me, but keeping an open mind with a new studio behind it.

Soldato
More than happy with 60fps tbh even 30fps looks ok on tv. Would much rather they crank up the detail and physics effects. Really would like to see some truly next gen world effects.

Associate
60 fps and all the eye candy will tick every box I have. Not fussed about 120 fps until I can justify replacing our current crop of 4k tv's and monitors and even then maybe a jump to 8k instead of 4k 120 might be a better option.

Associate
Will buy a Series S when Fable arrives.

Only game that remotely interests me, curious to see what Playground do with it.
Fable 3 tainted the Fable brand for me, but keeping an open mind with a new studio behind it.

I've just spent the last 36 hours from start to finish on fable 3 (would have been less but forgot i needed 6.5 mil coins) to get me in the mood for when the new one comes along. Wish i had chosen 2 instead.

Soldato
Apologies if this has already been answered.

Does the S Series run X Series games, just at a lower resolution?

Also, does it get current X game improvements for Xbox One titles?

My desktop PC is a 9700K @ 5ghz and a 2070 GPU. Would I be better off going for a PS5?

Soldato
Apologies if this has already been answered.

Does the S Series run X Series games, just at a lower resolution?

Also, does it get current X game improvements for Xbox One titles?

My desktop PC is a 9700K @ 5ghz and a 2070 GPU. Would I be better off going for a PS5?
Yes the Series S runs the same games as Series X just at 1440p and not 4k

The S doesn't get the full One X features for BC, however it does have its own tricks that will be applied, including upscaling xbox and X360 games, faster loading from SSD, auto HDR and higher frame rates. Eg 30fps games run at 60fps and 60fps should tun at 120fps. According to what they said.

Soldato
Yes the Series S runs the same games as Series X just at 1440p and not 4k

The S doesn't get the full One X features for BC, however it does have its own tricks that will be applied, including upscaling xbox and X360 games, faster loading from SSD, auto HDR and higher frame rates. Eg 30fps games run at 60fps and 60fps should tun at 120fps. According to what they said.

Thanks. If my MOT doesn't wipe my account I may go for an S Series.

Soldato
Wonder if it will be as simple as just difffeerebfe is at 1440p Vs 4k

There could be differences in anti aliasing and all sorts which could make a big difference

Going to be interesting

For instance it's possible even at 1440p or 1080p would look better on X depending on what downssmpling/anti aliasing etc it does

Man of Honour
Wonder if it will be as simple as just difffeerebfe is at 1440p Vs 4k

There could be differences in anti aliasing and all sorts which could make a big difference

Going to be interesting

For instance it's possible even at 1440p or 1080p would look better on X depending on what downssmpling/anti aliasing etc it does

Does anti aliasing even do anything at 4K?

Soldato
Holy crap, I'm getting battered on Facebook at the moment. Posted a thread on a Aussie Facebook PS5 group about me thinking of cancelling my PS5 preorder and getting a series X instead, and the thread's 140 responses long already.... mostly hammering me :D

Associate
I'm completely out of the console loop, so please forgive my undoubtedly stupid questions.

I'm looking at getting my son an xbox for Christmas, and possibly one for myself down the line, cant be bothered upgrading my PC anymore, and as much as I'm loving stadia, my home Internet speed just isn't cutting it when there's more than just myself hogging the bandwidth..

So what are difference between the X and S? My son has a 720p TV in his room (he plays on a PC I built from spare parts using a wireless xbox1 pad, but his motherboard is failing), and his main games would be Minecraft and Fortnite (obviously he would play more but these are the one he enjoys the most right now) would the S be sufficient?

Also for myself, like I said above im just not feeling PC gaming anymore, and my home bandwidth isn't really good enough for stadia sadly (shame, superb platform that gets far too much internt hate..) I have a 4k TV in the living room and would like to put it too use, would the S be enough for 4k60hz? Or is that were the extra cost of the X comes in? I'm aware it likely be game and developer dependent, but the idea of 30fps at any resolution just doesn't sit well with me..

One last thing, game instal sizes are getting ridiculous, im aware both consoles are using new SSD tech, and the 1tb add on is stupidly expensive, is there away of upgrading the digital S's storage capacity with a more traditional external HDD?

Soldato
I'm completely out of the console loop, so please forgive my undoubtedly stupid questions.

I'm looking at getting my son an xbox for Christmas, and possibly one for myself down the line, cant be bothered upgrading my PC anymore, and as much as I'm loving stadia, my home Internet speed just isn't cutting it when there's more than just myself hogging the bandwidth..

So what are difference between the X and S? My son has a 720p TV in his room (he plays on a PC I built from spare parts using a wireless xbox1 pad, but his motherboard is failing), and his main games would be Minecraft and Fortnite (obviously he would play more but these are the one he enjoys the most right now) would the S be sufficient?

Also for myself, like I said above im just not feeling PC gaming anymore, and my home bandwidth isn't really good enough for stadia sadly (shame, superb platform that gets far too much internt hate..) I have a 4k TV in the living room and would like to put it too use, would the S be enough for 4k60hz? Or is that were the extra cost of the X comes in? I'm aware it likely be game and developer dependent, but the idea of 30fps at any resolution just doesn't sit well with me..

One last thing, game instal sizes are getting ridiculous, im aware both consoles are using new SSD tech, and the 1tb add on is stupidly expensive, is there away of upgrading the digital S's storage capacity with a more traditional external HDD?
The s will be fine on a 720p or even 1080p TV

The s doesn't do 4k, it will upscale 1440p to 4k though.

External hdd can be used to run previous gen games or to store series s/x games on that you aren't currently playing. But you will need to move them to the internal (fast) storage to play them

Associate
The s will be fine on a 720p or even 1080p TV

The s doesn't do 4k, it will upscale 1440p to 4k though.

External hdd can be used to run previous gen games or to store series s/x games on that you aren't currently playing. But you will need to move them to the internal (fast) storage to play them
Thank you very much for the reply, ill get my lad an S ordered for Christmas, still weighing up which, if any to order for myself.. might hang on for hands on S reviews of the upscaling, hopefully its s good as the NVIDIA shields!

Back
Top Bottom