Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Hi guys haven't had much time to paint much since I started a few months ago. Had to refurb our bathroom and then my father died a few weeks ago to a heart attack. Haven't been in the mood to do anything even sleep, but started watching a few YouTube videos and got the bug again so took myself down to Belfast for a bit of retail therapy and to support local businesses during these times.

A few new supplies I picked up. Also have an army painter wet pallette and paint brush soap coming.
IMG-20200921-190849.jpg

These are my first ever bases. Pleased how they turned out. Might of overdone the the dry brushing my first ever attempt.
IMG-20200921-185212.jpg

Tried my hand at highlighting the blue. Tried to be fancy pants on one of them but kept it simple on the other two. Picked up paint to highlight the gold today so looking forward to that. Highlighting the black is tricky :p
IMG-20200920-125549.jpg

IMG-20200920-125457.jpg

IMG-20200919-142830.jpg

IMG-20200918-142604.jpg

IMG-20200918-142550.jpg

I never really digged the the Eternals but thought they would be easier to learn to paint on but really starting to love them. I still have my eye on thoses dwarfs!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome!! what colour is your base rim?

My army painter wet pallette came the other day and it's making painting so much easier and also helping me water down the paint so it's not as thick still might be a tad!!!

Soldato
Awesome!! what colour is your base rim?

My army painter wet pallette came the other day and it's making painting so much easier and also helping me water down the paint so it's not as thick still might be a tad!!!

Cheers :) It's one of the citadel martian base paints, that cracks as it dries. What exactly is a wet pallet? I use a plastic lid :D

Soldato
Pallette :D I was using an ice-cream lid but the I'm so slow the paint was drying before I was even close to finishing with it.

Now I'm working on 3 minis at once two of which have faces!

Soldato
How does it work?

I'll caveat this by saying I don't have one but am tempted to try one so I might be slightly wrong...

Essentially a sponge in a tray that you saturate with water (but not too much) and lay a sheet of baking parchment paper on it (wet). This wet environment helps to thin the paints (too much if you over saturate) and keeps them wet for hours at a time.

In contrast, I use plain palette paper at the moment and it dries up in 5 to 10 minutes, so not only do you waste paint as it dries on the palette but you're also constantly trying to re-thin the paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6W6O88RyG0

https://www.fauxhammer.com/tutorials/how-to-make-a-wet-palette-for-painting-miniatures-models/

Caporegime
Worth noting I have 2. One home-made with a tupperware box, sponge and some baking parchment.

The other some pro one with magic sponge, magic paper, blah blah blah.

The home one keeps paint moist well...forever.

The pro one makes it easier to blend.

Soldato
I used GW gold primer on my latest models and there seems to be little air bubbles showing in a few spots. Might have messed up while priming.

Also finding the gold undercoat is showing a lot of flaws in my painting. Random gold spots I had missed and gold in the nooks and crevices.

If I had primed it with black it might not as been as noticeable and would look like a shadow or an outline. Also could be that I find it easier with black as I'm colour blind.

Looks semi decent in hand but not so good in photo's.

Also I think I'm using the layering brushes too much and the paint would flow better from the base brush.

All part of the learning process I guess or I could stop taking photo's!!!

Soldato
Did you wash the figures before you sprayed them? I sometimes get bubbles where the water is still held in little bits.

They are great for first attempts don't worry too much. Do you water your paint down?

Back
Top Bottom