Nvidia 30xx and vr.

Associate
Dunno. I think most folk on here are in it for Sims. Certainly I expect racing sims to be my focus when my G2 arrives. First VR headset for me. My kids want to play a bunch of regular VR games so I'm hopeful the 2070S will tide us over until the 3080 is readily available. My eldest plays a lot of PC games (non VR) and so will surely benefit - the next gen consoles are likely to up the spec wars again.

Soldato
Well the reviews have dropped and the 3080 is nearly twice as fast as my 1080ti in regular games. Hope that translates into VR performance.

Associate
Question is now do i F5 tommorow or be sensible and see what amd do?
For me the performance improvements seem quite varied and depend on the game - there was literally no performance increase in MFS2020 in 1440p over the 2080ti so its not clear how it will impact VR.

That said I cant see AMD competing on the VR front (pancake possibly)

Best bet tommorow would be to go for the FE as all the AIBs are gonna be gouged. Stock is gonna be a problem everywhere. I want to put mine under water so its AIB for me

Associate
I'll be playing the waiting game. I don't feel 3080 is a worthwhile upgrade from 2080ti and less VRAM makes me uneasy - though I accept it may not be an issue at all.

Will be sitting back and waiting to see 3090 benchmarks, what AMD do and whether there is a 3080 super/ti on the way. Hopefully pound/dollar exchange rates will get better during that time too!!!

Associate
Pimax 8K, my system is 3 years old including a 1080Ti. Prime GPU upgrade moment for me, I'm not in a rush thankfully, but it will be nice to push the limits of the headset at last. Fingers crossed AMD can do something useful and at least cause a bit of price pressure to help me out...I'm just going to go banzai on the 3090 unless there are Ti options available before I drop the cash. A 20gb 3080ti would be a nice option for me.

Soldato
Well the complete lack of 3080's in the retail market means I have no choice but to wait until supplies get better, or until AMD releases a competitive card.

Pity because the latest No Mans Sky update has dropped and the game doesn't run at all well on my 1080ti in VR.

Soldato
I currently have a Ryzen 3100 which I've been using with my old geforce 980 to play a few games like Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath. I was considering upgrading to a new RTX 3070 to use with my Quest headset and 1440p monitor as I'm finding that the geforce 980 isn't really up to spec for VR games or 1440p in newer titles.

How have you found CPU scaling when gaming in VR? Do you think I'll notice much in the way of bottlenecks or issues if I pair a modern low end CPU with a higher end GPU?

Would it work or will I find myself needing to upgrade my CPU as well?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited:
Soldato
I currently have a Ryzen 3100 which I've been using with my old geforce 980 to play a few games like Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath. I was considering upgrading to a new RTX 3070 to use with my Quest headset and 1440p monitor as I'm finding that the geforce 980 isn't really up to spec for VR games or 1440p in newer titles.

How have you found CPU scaling when gaming in VR? Do you think I'll notice much in the way of bottlenecks or issues if I pair a modern low end CPU with a higher end GPU?

Would it work or will I find myself needing to upgrade my CPU as well?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

CPU upgrade dramatically helped me with SkyrimVR and Fallout 4 VR.

Associate
Still no VR benchmarks for 3080? As many no doubt are, I'm waiting to see which of the new cards gives the best VR performance. Tales of DLSS on VR (on certain games only of course), and also VRSS (are they one and the same?) are making me lean towards Nvidia, but whilst I would have no doubt just bought a 3080 to upgrade from my 5700XT, the complete lack of them has enforced a period of contemplation. Would be nice to have all the elements available to contemplate.

To be fair, it looks like everything might just drop into place at around the same time, with the G2 looking likely to land in early Nov. Hopefully by then there will be more info available to help with what's quite a big decision :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom