High temps and auto voltages

Associate
Cpu: 3700x
Cooler: Wraith prism

I think I know the answers to this but ill ask anyway.

I rebuilt my rig last night. Swapped out motherboard, cpu, cooler and ram. I've got it up and running but I'm getting problems with temps and voltages.

For a start my temps. Idle comes down as low as 31c which is apparently good with this chip. However if I run prime95 the temps shoot straight up to the 80s in the matter of seconds. I'm getting 71c while playing destiny 2 @ 200fps. Ironically I passed cinebench with max temps of 71c.

Voltages wise I've noticed the chip is bolting up to 1.4v. I've never seen a cpu auto volt itself so high before.

Is this normal is what I'm trying to figure out. Also is it worth buying a better cooler? I've seen people with good coolers struggling to contain this chip.

Associate
OP
I have a msi mpg b550 gaming edge wifi motherboard.

Thanks for the feedback. It confirms what I already thought. I'll look in to a new cooler.

In the mean time I have a few things I want to try to help bring the temps down a bit. Flash the bios for example, set the wraith prism to high and add a rear extraction fan. Well see if any of that helps.

Man of Honour
I have a msi mpg b550 gaming edge wifi motherboard.

Thanks for the feedback. It confirms what I already thought. I'll look in to a new cooler.

In the mean time I have a few things I want to try to help bring the temps down a bit. Flash the bios for example, set the wraith prism to high and add a rear extraction fan. Well see if any of that helps.
Makes sense

Associate
OP
I figured out what was wrong with my temps with the wraith prism. It was my motherboard. What I didnt notice was that the board enables two overclocks by default. One is xmp. The other is a cpu booster. I'm not sure how the cpu booster works but my wraith prism cant cope with it switched on. So I turned it off.

Now I'm getting 69c max in prime95 small fft. I'm getting between 47c and 62c during gaming, depending on the game. And I've not lost performance. I scored 4721 in cinebenchr20.

@mickyflinn : I took your advice and bought the cooler you recommended. The arctic freezer 34 esports duo. Ive got it but haven't installed it yet. I'll do that soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom