• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looking forward to 8th oct hope we see some good performance increases , had my i7 6700k for 5 years now have been upgrading bits around it , planning on getting cpu/board/ssd and abit later new GPU, hope AMD doesnt disappoint

Last edited:
Caporegime
This means by extension something like Ryzen 5 2600X,Ryzen 5 3600/3600X,6C/12T Core i5 running at lower core clockspeeds is going to push ahead in many modern titles which use more than 4 threads,at least compared to an overclocked Core i5 7600K. So as much as he was being hyperbolic WRT to AMD,the 4C Core i5,is starting to hit limitations. Single core performance isn't the problem,as I doubt an overclocked Core i9 10900K is that much faster in single core performance than an overclocked Core i5 7600K. I would make the argument a 6C/12T is probably where it is ATM ,ie,a Ryzen 5 3600/3600X/3600XT or a Core i5 10400/Core i5 10600K. 8C/16T if you want to have some "future-proofing".
You know what jigger is like tho. "Zen 1 would be an upgrade for your 7600K" is just his way of trying to tell the world+dog that any AMD CPU is better than any Intel CPU.

There exist 4c/4t Zen 1 CPUs as we all know. The *only* way Zen 1 would be an upgrade is to pit a higher core/thread Zen 1 against the 7600k - and benchmark in modern titles that need the extra threads/cores.

In which case he could also have said that a 7700K would also be an upgrade. He could also have said that a comparable thread/core Kaby Lake Intel CPU would beat a Zen 1 CPU in gaming benchmarks. But of course that wouldn't suit his narrative.

No, jigger simply said, "Zen 1 would be an upgrade." It's just how disingenuous he is, and how AMD biased he is.

Associate
Hi guys, I'm joining the thread by asking you a question because I'm trying to collect much external opinions as i can. I plan to revamp the entire PC (excluding the 2080 ti which I think I'll replace with hopper) by making a dual loop build. It might make sense in your opinion, although I know my question is a bit premature, start this project with the upcoming zen 3 CPUs or, being this a PC of some importance, is It worth waiting for the am5 socket change with the related ddr5 and keep my 4790k for now to be more "future proof". Thank you in advance for your help

Caporegime
Hi guys, I'm joining the thread by asking you a question because I'm trying to collect much external opinions as i can. I plan to revamp the entire PC (excluding the 2080 ti which I think I'll replace with hopper) by making a dual loop build. It might make sense in your opinion, although I know my question is a bit premature, start this project with the upcoming zen 3 CPUs or, being this a PC of some importance, is It worth waiting for the am5 socket change with the related ddr5 and keep my 4790k for now to be more "future proof". Thank you in advance for your help
You'll need to describe your use cases for anyone to help really. "A PC of some importance" could literally mean anything :) Is this your main device for browsing redtube? :p

Associate
start this project with the upcoming zen 3 CPUs or is it worth waiting for the am5 socket change with the related ddr5 and keep my 4790k for now to be more "future proof"?
There is no information about Zen4/DDR5.
Very little information about Zen3 even, and thats 10 days away.

My educated guess is DDR5 will be more expensive and will not give much benefit over DDR4, not early on, not on desktops. Workstations and servers will love it.
Good bet on AMD supporting AM5 for a while if that's what you mean by future proof.
What else could AM5 bring? Better socket power, maybe more cores. Maybe USB4.

Caporegime
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-vermeer-12-core-24-thread-cpu-allegedly-up-to-5-ghz-150w-tdp/
Possible Ryzen 9 5900X specs
12 cores
5GHz single core boost clock
150W TDP (so multicore will also boost high)

sweet if true
Wow, that's pretty sweet to say the least and would be enough power to last a long time. If the 5900x provides a tangible benefit over the 5800x for a not too significant cost increase then I may pull the trigger on one when it launches. Otherwise, it will be a 5800x going in my rig. Actually, I am quite happy that Zen3 will be released before Big Navi as then all I can get the CPU upgrade out of the way and tested and then all I need to do is pop a GPU in later. :)

Associate
You'll need to describe your use cases for anyone to help really. "A PC of some importance" could literally mean anything :) Is this your main device for browsing redtube? :p

I meant a pc whose cost would have been of some importance, however the main area of use will be high-level gaming but I do not exclude other ultra-cpu-intensive uses such as video editing, etc.

Good bet on AMD supporting AM5 for a while if that's what you mean by future proof.
What else could AM5 bring? Better socket power, maybe more cores. Maybe USB4.

Yes that Is what i meant with "future proof". I know that i should have waited 10 more data before asking this questione, maybe i wouldn't even asked It after amd reveal, who knows...
My real concern is to go into a really expensive project and risk finding myself with a socket that will clearly support only this latest generation of cpu and which will then require in case of any upgrade the total change of motherboard, cpu and even ram with related waterblocks

Soldato
I meant a pc whose cost would have been of some importance, however the main area of use will be high-level gaming but I do not exclude other ultra-cpu-intensive uses such as video editing, etc.

Yes that Is what i meant with "future proof". I know that i should have waited 10 more data before asking this questione, maybe i wouldn't even asked It after amd reveal, who knows...
My real concern is to go into a really expensive project and risk finding myself with a socket that will clearly support only this latest generation of cpu and which will then require in case of any upgrade the total change of motherboard, cpu and even ram with related waterblocks

I guess you have never bought an intel CPU then? Unless you are upgrading every year, it really isn’t an issue. Pretty much a new motherboard every time.

The first round of DDR5 capable boards are not going to have ram modules available that achieve the maximum speed that DDR5 will achieve. If you are upgrading again 3-4 years later you’ll probably want to replace them anyway as higher speed modules will be available at a lower price.

For example, my current system has 16gb of fairy early DDR4 modules. I’m certainly going to replace them if I go Zen 3 because they will not achieve the high speeds at tight timings which these processors really want. You are going to get that with early DDR5 and it will be way more expensive to buy then DDR4.

Associate
B550 and X570 are the only chipsets with full Zen 3 support. And it is not all down to BIOS chip size

It was strange at the time how B550 was released at higher price points than B450, approaching X570 both on price and VRM quality.
Now B550 premium VRMs really make sense if Zen 3 goes up to 150W.

Permabanned
Soldato
Sweet if true?! Why?
I think it's a disaster. AMD should target lower power consumption, not the gaming crowd "hearts"... :rolleyes:

This is a fail from now, if you ask me.

Unless they do away with the eco-mode option, I don't see a problem. I'm going to wait until Zen 3 is "old news" before I upgrade my 3800X, but when I do, I plan on using my 3800X in a SFF build @65W instead of the 105W I'm running now.

Just check a box, reboot and bam, I have a low power CPU. I could probably go lower using low PBO limits.

Taking away the last tiny piece of territory held by Intel is important. If they need 150W TDP to get it done, I'm okay with that. Intel has basically been blowing out TDB and factory-overclocking the crap out of an old architecture to hold onto the "gaming" crown, anyway. If we still get the option to lower power draw, I don't see a problem.

Soldato
Sweet if true?! Why?
I think it's a disaster. AMD should target lower power consumption, not the gaming crowd "hearts"... :rolleyes:

This is a fail from now, if you ask me.

Really, it is still way below that of anything Intel offers and not that greater a jump in power consumption. Hardly a disaster. This is to the point that you are still around 25% less or more than Intel. Further to this and the way it boosts I wouldn't expect it to be oftenit is at max power consumption either.

Permabanned
Ryzen 9 3900X is a 105-watt part.
If Ryzen 9 5900X is a 150-watt part, that is a 43% increase in its power draw.

If it offers in the best case that kind of final apps improvement, you get 0% performance per watt uplift or worse performance per watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom