• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 / 3090 / 3070 Gigabyte Eagle Gaming OC & Vision Power Connector Concerns

Associate
***UPDATE 1.5

IMPORTANT INFO

To clarify for everyone and any one new here

the cards affected are as follows re serial number

WK39 onwards will have the revised new connector block *UPDATE however some cards may be mixed and still could be on the old connector block even after WK39

WK38 below is on the old faulty connector block

So check your serial number which will start with year 20 then second number is the week
So 2038 and below would be on old connector block & 2039 and above is on the new one

All the above is confirmed by the Gigabyte Rep

Hope this helps

GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3070 cards Gaming OC and Eagle are not effected by this issue.
There as now been reports of some 3070's Gaming OC having the same problems.

---------------------------------------

This also effects other cards with the same power connector from Gigabyte i will keep updating

GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle OC
GV-N3080EAGLE OC-10GD

GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3090 Eagle OC
GV-N3090EAGLE OC-24GD

GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
GV-N3080GAMING OC-10GD

GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3090 Gaming OC
GV-N3090GAMING OC-24GD

*add seems these cards are effected also
GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3080 VISION OC This card is not effected by the issue
GV-N3080VISION OC-10GD
-------------------------------------

UPDATED images.

This is the old connector block as you can see the the cables are not moulded into the block and only held in via the crimp. Hence with enough force when you plug in your pcie power cables will push out as seen here.

SPOILER_OLD_BLOCK.jpeg

Below is the new connector block as you can see the cables seem to be moulded into the block and there is a another block protruding out of the top block ..this is not seen on the old block above

NEW_BLOCK.png

Here is a photo of the blocks in the card to help you identify which block your on.

NOW_BLOCK_INSIDE_.jpg

Original update on how to visually identify if your on Old or New connector block.

If you have a card that is WK38 and below take a look at the backside of the card and in the vents where the connectors are you will either see heat shrink or no heat shrink on the cables as seen in the photo's below.

No heat shrink means your on the faulty connector block
If there is heat shrink then all good its on the new revised connector block. please see photos below.

If the design changes in the future which gigabyte may revise and stop using the heat shrink on the cable this does not mean it will be on the old faulty block. So any card Wk39 above even without heat shrink will still be fine just to be clear.

So this is on the new revised block as you can see the heat shrink around the cable.

heatshrink_is_new_connector_type.jpg

If you see no heat shrink in the gap and your card is Wk39 or below with only a cable tie then its the old faulty design.

Old_Type_with_out_heatshrink.jpg

Regarding support if your anywhere else in the world other than the UK please contact Gigabyte support via there website they are aware of this issue.

UK OWNERS ONLY.
Please refer to update 3 on how to proceed if you have these problems with the connector.

***UPDATE 2
from Gigabyte rep

We have investigated the issues that have been reported and have a solution to fix any cards that have developed lose or faulty power pins. Any customers that have experienced the same power connector problem as reported on this thread, please contact me directly and I will arrange to have the card fixed with a new connector as quickly as possible.

***UPDATE 3
from Gigabyte rep

Any one that start to have these problems on the cards, please contact [email protected] and I'll get it fixed for you, to save time please include name, address, serial number, check number (these are on the box label) and best day for collection. I'll arrange to have the card collected, fixed and shipped back to you ASAP.

Future cards will have the fix, if you do have a card with an issue as there will be a small amount of mixed stock, contact me and I will make sure to get it fixed for you.

***UPDATE 4
from Gigabyte rep

Based on the current info I have, and this is limited to the reports I see here specifically. The connectors are not faulty, however some units after repeat use are developing a problem where the pins become lose and do not make proper connection with the pin outs form the PSU. I will make sure that anyone that has a card with this original connector, can report the problem to me directly or on here and I will make sure it gets fixed for you ASAP.

Original Post..

This as me really worried ....re the eagles strange power connector even der8auer in a recent vid pointed this out link below.

Now we all know what the old Molex connectors can be like i have seen many of them burnt out in builds... hell even seen full burn outs and cause fires and this was just running hard drives cd roms ect . if its not a firm contact this can lead to high resistance within the plug

so will be even more with the amps being pulled with a 3080

Time @9:41

Also user on forums stated the following

"Grimfusion said:
I just RMA'ed my 3080 Gigabyte Eagel OC today. The PCI connector pins looked like they were soldered on in a rush.

3 of the 8 pins in the connector closest to the back of the card are seated much lower than they should be and I suspect that might be a problem when it gets hot.

I ran a couple of games for like 15 minutes before the screen went black and the fans stopped on the card (logo was still illuminated) and I had a black screen.

Plugged my Radeon 7 in and played for hours. PSU is a 750W.

So sad..."

Not trying to scaremonger here ..i have one of these cards myself on order and i am now thinking of cancelling..

your thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
I've got an Eagle on preorder, and yeah it's my main concern about the card, does seem a bit of a weakness.

I don't think we've seen enough of these cards yet to know how much of a problem this really is, and one user with a problem is an anecdote at best, but those connectors in that black box do look a bit fragile and on the cheap side of things. Doesn't mean it's bad though, and a GPU is not normally something you're frequently (un)plugging.

I'm waiting to see what Alphacool is coming up with their waterblocks, as it's going on under water. I'm hoping the block will just reach to the end of the PCB and the user is left to their own devices to deal with the power ... in which case I'm getting some of these Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 connectors (they're the same as the new connectors on the FE, just a different layout of 1x8pins) and creating extensions, or replacing my current already custom sleeved PSU PCI-e cables entirely anyway.

Associate
Thats not great is it. Looks like this whole release was a mad rush. I would suck it and see. You have 14 days to make your mind up.

Associate
Beware guys. I received my Eagle Tuesday 22nd, had trouble getting one of the the 8 pin connectors in, thought nothing of it, booted up and nothing but black screen. Upon further inspection 2 of the connector pins were sat really low, and many of them pushed tight against the side. I took it to my local pc guy who took the whole thing apart and got the pins back in place. He showed me the card was working on his rig. Took it home, and noticed the pins had moved again, tight against the sides, so I had to stick a paper clip in to bend them back to centre. It's working for now, managed a few ours of RDR2 on Ultra settings and it looks amazing, no issues with heat, but this has me very worried. Hopefully it's just an early batch issue.

Associate
OP
Beware guys. I received my Eagle Tuesday 22nd, had trouble getting one of the the 8 pin connectors in, thought nothing of it, booted up and nothing but black screen. Upon further inspection 2 of the connector pins were sat really low, and many of them pushed tight against the side. I took it to my local pc guy who took the whole thing apart and got the pins back in place. He showed me the card was working on his rig. Took it home, and noticed the pins had moved again, tight against the sides, so I had to stick a paper clip in to bend them back to centre. It's working for now, managed a few ours of RDR2 on Ultra settings and it looks amazing, no issues with heat, but this has me very worried. Hopefully it's just an early batch issue.

Thx for the heads up Taffy

Associate
Cheers Taffy, let us know if you have anymore issues if you can, it'd be appreciated.

Associate
After a long weekend of heavy loads, the card is still working fine. However last time I checked, one of the pins has developed a little molten ball on top. Bit worrying!

I've been in touch with OC technical and they're being very helpful and offered me a replacement, but I'm reluctant untill we get word from Gigabyte as to whether this is normal or just a dodgy batch. It's been passed on to OC management who are looking into the issue. Will keep you updated.

Ico

Ico

Associate
Had same scare with Gaming OC card. I couldnt fit in connectors from Gigabyte psu , Luckily i have old EVGA Supernova 850W G2 and it was perfect fit in. Card works well no crashes on stock settings so far i tested it with Watch Dogs2 and GTA V. I tried manual overclock but it crashes over 2k Mhz. Im sure im not doing it right. Anyway stock boost is 1995Mhz which isnt bad
To be clear i changed whole psu and psu cables not just swap vga cables . Afaik cables from different psu manufacturers may not be compatible i didnt want to risk it

Last edited:
Permabanned
Had same scare with Gaming OC card. I couldnt fit in connectors from Gigabyte psu , Luckily i have old EVGA Supernova 850W G2 and it was perfect fit in. Card works well no crashes on stock settings so far i tested it with Watch Dogs2 and GTA V. I tried manual overclock but it crashes over 2k Mhz. Im sure im not doing it right. Anyway stock boost is 1995Mhz which isnt bad
Think People are expecting too high clocks from Ampere cards pass 2000mhz will be the very good silicone ones.

Soldato
I have the gaming OC and have touched lucky it seems, card tops out at 2070Mhz boost with overclock. Any higher than that though and it's CTD's all day!

Those internal power extension connectors are a little worrying for my as I intend to put my card underwater and while I know a block is coming it's going to be interesting to see how they handle that one. I'd be more tempted right now to grab an FE card if possible but am going to wait to change until problems have been ironed out.

Ico

Ico

Associate
I have the gaming OC and have touched lucky it seems, card tops out at 2070Mhz boost with overclock. Any higher than that though and it's CTD's all day!

Those internal power extension connectors are a little worrying for my as I intend to put my card underwater and while I know a block is coming it's going to be interesting to see how they handle that one. I'd be more tempted right now to grab an FE card if possible but am going to wait to change until problems have been ironed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--YvuxE0xl4&t=147s&ab_channel=FrameChasers interesting video. Mine can do 2070 too it crashed at 2100mhz. Not interested in manual overclock atm auto boost is ok

Soldato
@Ico I just ran it through its paces on Saturday I think it was trying to determine if it was going to fail and it performs better than expected all things considered.

Interesting side note for you though if you do decide to OC with this error correcting memory, there's a sweet spot that's pretty high around +700 to +900 I expect, So start there and benchmark I found lower than +800 negatively effected fps but at +800 on the memory I got a significant performance bump.

Ico

Ico

Associate
@Ico I just ran it through its paces on Saturday I think it was trying to determine if it was going to fail and it performs better than expected all things considered.

Interesting side note for you though if you do decide to OC with this error correcting memory, there's a sweet spot that's pretty high around +700 to +900 I expect, So start there and benchmark I found lower than +800 negatively effected fps but at +800 on the memory I got a significant performance bump.
thanks for infos. Im new to OC i was just quickly testing if card will crash and when. if you post please screenshots i can try it when im free thanks. Can you explain pls significant performance bump. I have 1440p monitor will i see worthy fps improvement here

Associate
Honestly, I think everyone's overanalysing anything that could be a potential defect without any actually knowledge in electrical engineering. If there was enough availability for everyone to have one, they'd be too busy enjoying them to really get stressed about this stuff.

Associate
The Gamer Nexus review of the Eagle basically said it was a weird, ugly, inelegant design but not that there was anything inherently bad with it. I have one on order and if its dodgy it will go back but there is a high probability it will be fine, be plugged in once and then never touched again until the next time I upgrade.

Associate

I have this exact issue, my 3090 Gaming OC doesn't start now. All it took was one unplugging and replugging to tidy up the cabling a bit after the initial testing. Looking at the pins they are definitely all over the place. Not happy, especially since it's such minor thing and easy to get right/wrong, yet so critical. I could try and get those pins in order with some tweezers, but for such an expensive product you wouldn't expect having to resort to such measures. Nor do I want to.

NLEKdyl.jpg

Associate
I have this exact issue, my 3090 Gaming OC doesn't start now. All it took was one unplugging and replugging to tidy up the cabling a bit after the initial testing. Looking at the pins they are definitely all over the place. Not happy, especially since it's such minor thing and easy to get right/wrong, yet so critical. I could try and get those pins in order with some tweezers, but for such an expensive product you wouldn't expect having to resort to such measures. Nor do I want to.

Yeah that's not ideal. Probably easily fixable, maybe the retention clips on those pins have gotten a little bit bent and they drop out too easily. :(

Back
Top Bottom